TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Texas Super Chargers

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Sans Gas, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Sans Gas

Sans Gas Member

Apr 5, 2012
    Punta Gorda, Florida
    Why four online and number five under construction super chargers in relatively close spacing in Texas? Shouldn't the East coast corridor be a priority? Isn't the plan to allow spacing locations for extended travel?
  2. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Northern California
    I guess Tesla was trying to link up the major cities in Texas first, makes sense since most people would probably be traveling between those cities.
  3. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

Feb 9, 2012
    San Antonio, TX
    There is a reasonable density of Teslas in Dallas, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio despite dealership hassles. Probably less permitting hassles to build them in Texas than many other states. Space X is 10 mile off I-35. Who knows? I like them and have used them 6-8 times already, great value added. For me, they are more valuable to make a 400-mile, 2-day business round-trip viable than an occasional longer road trip with the family. We typically fly for vacations cause you gotta go a ways to ditch the heat.

4. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

Jun 9, 2013
    Dallas, Texas
    The East Coast certainly is a priority.
    So is Elon's Coast to Coast trip

My perspective
    Top TEN State populations in US are:
    California 38 M
    Texas 26 M
    New York 19.5 M
    Florida 19.3 M
    Illinois 12.8 M
    Penn. 12.7 M
    Ohio 11.5 M
    Georgia 9.9 M
    Michigan 9.8 M
    N. Carolina 9.7 M

Total Population for the entire country is ~313.9 M
    You do the math, the above ten states population are 169.2 M: over half of the entire country's population.
    Currently, there are no Superchargers in NY, PA, OH, GA or MI.
    Those States are priorities too.
    The Superchargers are coming.

Eventually, by end of 2014, 80% of the Country will be covered by Superchargers.
    By the end of 2015, 98% of the country will be covered.

I am so grateful for those current four (soon to be five) Superchargers in Texas which connect the major Metropolitan areas (Texas Triangle) and permit travel in a Tesla to be feasible. Distances in Texas are just to vast to drive without them (e.g.: it is over 600 miles from DFW to El Paso)
    It will be much better when sufficient quantities of additional Superchargers are operational that Texas actually connects to the rest of the country, and we can ALL travel coast to coast.
    Maybe even travel through Texas (and try some barbeque and CSB).
  5. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Austin, TX
    What close spacing? Do you have any idea how large Texas is? These 5 superchargers allow travel between Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio or Austin. The distance from Dallas to San Antonio or Dallas to Houston is greater than from New York to Washington, DC. These are very densely travelled routes and it would not be practical to travel between these cities without the superchargers. It opens up a vast market to have these cities connected (Dallas and Houston are two of the top 10 population centers in the US). It will be a long time before Texas connects to the rest of the country, though. The first cross-country route to get superchargers will be way north of Texas.