Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Supercharger Locations (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reasonable to think there will be three stations in Texas.

1) we have a compelling argument for Columbus.

2) I still say the Buc'ees in Madisonville.

So

3) is gonna be where along 35?

Agree with the first two. For 35, I sadly think Temple makes the most sense. Would love to have it in West to stop for kolaches, but that would be a little too long to make it to San Antonio. A 60kWh car should be able to get from DFW to Temple no problem and then Temple to SA.

I also agree that three is a good start, but would like to see more eventually. Maybe something just north of Denton to help us 60s make to it to OK City and a much lower priority, but we shouldn't ignore the North and South western part of the state.

Sadly, Temple does look to make the most sense. They could push it a hair further south to Salado which would be a bit better, but the highway crossroads at Temple/Killeen are too logical.

The worst part is that for the first several years, my kids will NOT be eating in the S. Our traditional pitstop at exit 353 for Kolaches may have to give way to the armpit of Temple and a 7-11 or some such nonsense.

Alas.

Sadly, Temple does look to make the most sense. They could push it a hair further south to Salado which would be a bit better, but the highway crossroads at Temple/Killeen are too logical.

The worst part is that for the first several years, my kids will NOT be eating in the S. Our traditional pitstop at exit 353 for Kolaches may have to give way to the armpit of Temple and a 7-11 or some such nonsense.

Alas.

AMEN brother. I haven't let any food in my car and won't for some time. I put all pizza and other to go orders in the frunk. Super sonic... they have picnic tables that work just fine :smile:

Coming to austin next weekend. Going to full charge before leaving.
Tesla service station said they will keep my car during the day and
charge it up for me while they work on some touch ups.

I didn't find any good quick charge option so this seems to be
the only way to get back to houston without some other tesla owner
in Austin to hit up for a quick charge.

This is sad. Hopefully a Columbus supercharger comes soon.

I would now vote that supercharhers be placed inside a city also not Just
in between them. For visitors

Coming to austin next weekend. Going to full charge before leaving.
Tesla service station said they will keep my car during the day and
charge it up for me while they work on some touch ups.

I didn't find any good quick charge option so this seems to be
the only way to get back to houston without some other tesla owner
in Austin to hit up for a quick charge.

This is sad. Hopefully a Columbus supercharger comes soon.

I would now vote that supercharhers be placed inside a city also not Just
in between them. For visitors

Of course, I agree that the West Columbus, Temple/Killeen/Waco/West, and Centerville/Madisonville charging stations can't get here soon enough. However, I generally agree with the plan that superchargers within the cities should wait for the inter-city station buildout.

There are loads of J1772 options in Austin. The biggest network is controlled by Austin Energy. You can purchase a card for $25 for six months of unlimited charging, or pay hourly. Here's a map of their stations:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=954df4fc5c1a431391734cab6be77efe&extent=-98.0661,30.157,-97.5086,30.4599

There are other public chargers in the area too. If the Tesla service center has room and time, then that is certainly another good free option. My guess is there gallery will have a similar setup, and I believe it is just about to open.

We come from North Texas, and so the north side of Austin works well for us. Downtown Georgetown has free charging offered by the city.

Unless you are only planning to stay in a city for a couple of hours, the existing infrastructure in Austin isn't too inconvenient. This will be especially true when you have a bit of range left after the Supercharger stop. The problem as it stands now is that you are facing a LONG charge-time at a public charger when you arrive with a fully depleted battery. The superchargers will really alleviate that situation.

Andy

Last edited:
Just made the trip from McKinney to Galveston. In the Nissan - though - as BadA** would not make it - and I did not feel like spending 2 hrs at SHSU which would still have been ultra risky.

Anyone got any 411 on I35, I45, or I10?

A little birdie (employed by Tesla) hinted (implied, really) that TX Superchargers would coming online within 3 months, and that he believed they would open at least 4 at once, essentially creating at least an Austin/Dallas/Houton triangle, perhaps with San Antonio included in some way, shape, or form. Let's hope he was right!

His point is that you don't need a supercharger *at your destination. A 14-50 or J1772 would be fine there. You need a supercharger at the rest stop near your natural halfway driving break. That's the whole point of fast DC charging is that it's fast. It just adds a little range while you're eating a snack.

We recently drove from near Lockhart to Galveston, our first Model S road trip. We found the Rosarita in Needville J1772 comforting:
Rosarita Mexican Restaurant - Needville, TX - Recargo
Though we charged overnight at Tremont's J1772, we found
Galveston Historical Foundation - Galveston, TX - Recargo
apparently working though not conveniently positioned.
Total charging cost at Tremont Hotel was $30 plus valet parking charges. The above Historical Foundation station would have been free of both charging and parking charges.

Both the Tremont and Rosarita Blinks would do 30 amps.

We will probably be doing a Corpus trip soon and we are most interested in charging opportunities in thea area. Most attrractive would be RV parks that are within walking distance of points of interest.

I offer free 50 amp charging about 30 miles south of Austin:
McKemie HomeGrown Farm - Dale, TX - Recargo
Sadly, "points of interest" density is very low.

I had really hoped the Texas SCs were among those expected to be revealed this month, but no indication of that yet (sad look)

A little birdie (employed by Tesla) hinted (implied, really) that TX Superchargers would coming online within 3 months, and that he believed they would open at least 4 at once, essentially creating at least an Austin/Dallas/Houton triangle, perhaps with San Antonio included in some way, shape, or form. Let's hope he was right!