Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Supercharger Locations (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Texas is getting some SC love. Here are several more:

1. Cotulla TX at the Flying J
  2. Burleson TX Texas Smokehouse II I-35 at Conveyor Dr (FM917)
  3. Henrietta TX Gas station NE corner Hwy 287 at Graham St (Hwy 148)
  4. Stafford TX Wal-mart SE corner I-69 at West Airport
  5. Mt Pleasant TX Super 1 Foods 602 S Jefferson at Ferguson
  6. Houston TX Wal-mart 111 Yale St at 2nd St
  7. Houston TX Wal-mart/Golden Corral 13570 E Freeway (I-10) at Victorson St
  8. San Antonio TX Wal-mart 4331 Thousand Oaks Dr at Uhr Ln
  9. Lubbock TX Buddy Holly Center 1801 Crickets Ave at 18 St
  10. Bellmead TX Wal-mart 1521 N I-35 Frontage Rd at Bank Dr
  11. Westworth TX Wal-mart 6770 Westworth Blvd at Green Oaks Rd
  12. Sweetwater TX Wal-mart 407 NE Georgia at E Arizona Ave
  13. Eastland TX Wal-mart 1410 E Main St at I-20
  14. Vidor TX Wal-mart 1360 N Main St at W Tram Rd
  15. Giddings TX Cefco truck stop 3025 W Austin St (Hwy 290) at CO RD 133
  16. Leon Spring TX HEB Grocery 23783 I-10 at Boerne Stage Road
  17. Schertz TX HEB Grocery 17460 N I-35 Frontage at Roy Richard Dr
@BlueShift material?
Three new Dig Tess requests today of interest. All are labeled as being for TESLA. The Junction makes some sense since Pecos and Fort Stockton are underway. They other two are odd in that they aren't on the Tesla map, and they are at Walmarts, making me think they are for ElectrifyAmerica, BUT the contractor is the one Tesla uses, and all 3 requests were posted within a few minutes of each other.

JUNCTION, TEXAS
111 MARTINEZ ST
Intersecting Street: I-10
Location of Work: THE PARKING LOT AND ROAD FRONTAGE DRIVING DIRECTIONS: DRIVE TO THE DAYS INN PREVIOUSLY OR CURRENTLY KNOW AS THE ECONO LODGE
Remarks: CONTACT STREET: STATE HIGHWAY 110 SOUTH TESS: 1877410279 Seq: 7759 Rcd: 10/01/18 13:57 WTBD: 10/03/18 14:00

ENNIS, TEXAS
700 E ENNIS AVE
Intersecting Street: LAUREL ST
Location of Work: THE FRONT PARKING LOT OF WALMART AND EAST SIDE OF TOBACCO HUT DRIVING DIRECTIONS: DRIVE TO THE WALMART IN ENNIS TX.

MADISONVILLE, TEXAS
1620 E MAIN ST
Intersecting Street: S SHORT ST
Location of Work: THE FRONT PARKINGLOT OF WALMART DRIVING DIRECTIONS: DRIVE TO THE WALMART IN MADISONVILLE TX.

If all the sites listed in the above 2 posts were built, then, IMO, the only ones which could become Supercharger sites are the following:
  1. Cotulla
  2. Burleson
  3. Henrietta
  4. Lubbock
  5. Giddings
  6. Leon Spring
  7. Schertz
  8. San Antonio (unlikely)**
All the other sites will be EA. My source links are all in these two posts in the Texas EA locations thread. And for an explanation on how I used them to determine those sites were for EA installations instead of Superchargers, see this post in the San Antonio thread.

**I suppose it's possible that both EA and Tesla will install at this Walmart in San Antonio. I've seen some documentation which says 8 EV chargers and some which says 10 EV chargers being installed there. While I think this most likely just represents a minor plan change or an error/typo, I'm willing to concede that there's still a small possibility that it actually represents different installs, one for each company.

Just saw a Dig TESS ticket come through for101 E Stacy Rd, Fairview , which is right off North Central Expressway from Dallas.

This is between McKinney and Allen on US 75.

DRIVING DIRECTIONS: HEAD EAST ON STACY ROAD FROM THE INTERSECTION OF STACY ROAD AND CENTRAL EXPRESSWAY FOR 600 FEET AND THE SITE IS ON THE NORTH SIDE OF STACY ROAD. BOUNDED ON THE EAST BY CAPITAL ONE BANK BUILDING, NORTH BY CURB ISLANDS IN PARKING LOT, EAST, BY THE DRIVE WAY INTO THE SHOPPING CENTER, AND THE SOUTH BY THE NORTH EDGE OF STACY ROAD.

Sounds like a good supercharger site. It's not EV America since there isn't a WalMart there.

The parking lot is for Whole Foods. Looks like plenty of space there.

I believe a couple of stations in CA have the upgrade, as test sites. Other locations will being getting upgraded later this year.

Elon did say they held back Supercharger installations pending V3 availability, so cross fingers that is what's happened in Texas.

FWIW, I'd expect them to upgrade in more-or-less the original rollout order.
I would think that they upgrade at the 'maximum pain' points first. The chief function of SuperChargers is to enable convenient cross-country travel. I know that Austin, Dallas and other urban-sited chargers are crowded -- but I suspect those are temporary situations for new car owners without reliable home charging. Those sites midway between the big cities would be best upgraded first to allow people to achieve near parity with their ICE brethren that ply the same roads. Incidentally, since the Austin SuC added the Easy Tiger beer garden, that place is a sweet place to charge.

Reactions: DriverOne and CarlS
I didn't see it on the Tesla site anymore, but is Texas pay by the minute or KWH for vehicle charging? I thought it was by the minute, but have had free supercharging so far and hadn't seen how much it costs yet. On my trip to Big Bend over the weekend I prefer to stop at every supercharger for short bursts than to fill up the battery entirely and skip chargers. It would seem like if we pay by the minute in Texas then this method works for cheaper charging and faster trips overall. Skipping chargers just tends to put the reserve battery amount really low if you drive any speed above the speed limit or in heavy wind which is usually what its like driving in that direction.

I didn't see it on the Tesla site anymore, but is Texas pay by the minute or KWH for vehicle charging? I thought it was by the minute, but have had free supercharging so far and hadn't seen how much it costs yet. On my trip to Big Bend over the weekend I prefer to stop at every supercharger for short bursts than to fill up the battery entirely and skip chargers. It would seem like if we pay by the minute in Texas then this method works for cheaper charging and faster trips overall. Skipping chargers just tends to put the reserve battery amount really low if you drive any speed above the speed limit or in heavy wind which is usually what its like driving in that direction.
Yes it’s by the minute. No it’s not cheaper or faster your way because when you are charging at less than 60 kW you are paying less per minute but also getting fewer kWh of energy per minute. The two tier pricing was intended as a workaround for not being able to charge per kWh. When you pay more per minute you’re getting more kWh per minute. If you usually charge at less than 60kW your total charging time will be longer. Of course that doesn’t matter if it’s when you’re eating lunch or something so you’d be stopped anyway.

I didn't see it on the Tesla site anymore, but is Texas pay by the minute or KWH for vehicle charging?

Yep, it's by the minute. It used to be a set rate for each state and you could look that up online. At some point that changed, so you have to look it up in your car and I think you can only do that if you have pay-per-use. There's 3 different prices for the Houston area:
  1. Channelview: $0.11 or $0.22
  2. 290 and I45: $0.12 or $0.23
  3. Richmond: $0.12 or $0.24
Austin's more expensive at $0.13 or $0.25

IMG_1174.jpg

IMG_1177.jpg

Correct. I was thinking in terms of speed of supercharging. So that fast charging at low price would be available up to 60kw of battery charge, then after that it would cost more to top off the battery. That is kind of a throughput pricing to make it more expensive to charge completely. With superchargers running full in other states that is what I was thinking at first.

I got it backwards though. It is charging rates of kw through the supercharger. 120-60 kw is full price, then drops off in price below 60 kw charge rate. No worries. My free supercharging ends at the beginning of next month.

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
If all the sites listed in the above 2 posts were built, then, IMO, the only ones which could become Supercharger sites are the following:
  1. Cotulla
  2. Burleson
  3. Henrietta
  4. Lubbock
  5. Giddings
  6. Leon Spring
  7. Schertz
All the other sites will be EA. My source links are all in these two posts in the Texas EA locations thread. And for an explanation on how I used them to determine those sites were for EA installations instead of Superchargers, see this post in the San Antonio thread.

**I suppose it's possible that both EA and Tesla will install at this Walmart in San Antonio. I've seen some documentation which says 8 EV chargers and some which says 10 EV chargers being installed there. While I think this most likely just represents a minor plan change or an error/typo, I'm willing to concede that there's still a small possibility that it actually represents different installs, one for each company.

The Giddings, TX site may be progressing.

Reactions: brkaus
Hi All. We are traveling down to Uvalde, TX for the weekend. I was curious if there were any updates on the San Antonio Superchargers? Looks like the furthest south the Superchargers go right now is San Marcos. There is a destination charger at a coffee shop in Uvalde and I don't see any issues getting down there but was just curious on the above. Thanks!

1. Cotulla
  2. Burleson
  3. Henrietta
  4. Lubbock
  5. Giddings
  6. Leon Spring
  7. Schertz

Both Henrietta and Burleson are now in construction.