Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Supercharger Locations (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Disappointed as well.. had a trip planned with the family for early July in the Model S... wonder why it is delayed as the DFW-AUStin route was specifically named in the "Next 30 days"?

Well you could probably still make the trip. There are several L2 stations between DF/W and Austin. It would just take longer. I actually checked out the blink station in Hillsboro the other day when I was looking for the supercharger.

Thanks...Hillsboro is close for me.. let me know if you know of any good ones down in the Temple area... I don't see any (except a Nissan Dealership) on most of the charging station apps...That would help me get into San Antonio.. Hope it gets up soon..

DFW to Austin is ~200 miles. With a 85KWH Model s even at the "standard" speeds of 70-75 Miles per hour with AC on, one should be able to do it with out a charge right ? Of course, you will need to re-charge in Austin before heading back. Is my expectations not realistic ?

DFW to Austin is ~200 miles. With a 85KWH Model s even at the "standard" speeds of 70-75 Miles per hour with AC on, one should be able to do it with out a charge right ? Of course, you will need to re-charge in Austin before heading back. Is my expectations not realistic ?

Very realistic. Even if you don't range charge and give yourself 76.5 kWh (90% of capacity), you'll have 218 mile range at a very conservative 350 watts/mile. Even in 96 degrees outside and A/C blasting, driving 75 mph average speed last weekend (back and forth to West, which was a 171 mile trip for me), I was comfortably at 319 watts/mile (in my 60) and had range to spare when I got home. In the 85 you'll have no trouble at all (and others on the forum has confirmed that). :biggrin:

Thanks...Hillsboro is close for me.. let me know if you know of any good ones down in the Temple area... I don't see any (except a Nissan Dealership) on most of the charging station apps...That would help me get into San Antonio.. Hope it gets up soon..

I really should have posted this sooner, but there actually is at least one level II in Temple. It is located in the staff parking lot of the McLane Children's Hospital (near the ER entrance). There are either 2 or 4 J1772s there, and the lot is ungated and free to the public. The trick will be finding something to do, although it is only about a 5 minute walk to the Starbucks :)

Charger map 1.jpg

Charger map 2.jpg

So, Connor and I made a father son road trip as far as Belton today, doing a little recon for the possibleSC location. Didn't find anything, including the two rest stops just past Jerrell. While I was driving back I was thinking about a couple of things. First, I am not sure the idea of the charging stationis being at the rest stops is valid since these are owned by TxDot and I am not sure a state agency can allow the installation of a simply put, privately owned feelings station (whether its electric or hydrocarbon based). Second, if the locations in California all seem to be located in areas where ther are other activities and restaurants right near by, then the rest stops don't make sense there either. If I were planning them and the thought was to make it be a way for drivers to get from San Antonio to Dallas, the the Round Rock outlet mall makes more sense and the same in Hillsboro and San Marcos. Not necessarily the best for us Austinites but we are the little cousin to the big metro areas.

Guess we just have to wait and see. If I am wrong there is a nice spot next to Starbucks in temple that would be a nice place. Just saying.