TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Texas Supercharger Locations

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Babylonfive, Sep 24, 2012.

1. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

Handing off logistics for a larger, multi-site project? A very good question, though.

2. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

If all the sites listed in the above 2 posts were built, then, IMO, the only ones which could become Supercharger sites are the following:
    1. Cotulla
    2. Burleson
    3. Henrietta
    4. Lubbock
    5. Giddings
    6. Leon Spring
    7. Schertz
    8. San Antonio (unlikely)**
    All the other sites will be EA. My source links are all in these two posts in the Texas EA locations thread. And for an explanation on how I used them to determine those sites were for EA installations instead of Superchargers, see this post in the San Antonio thread.

**I suppose it's possible that both EA and Tesla will install at this Walmart in San Antonio. I've seen some documentation which says 8 EV chargers and some which says 10 EV chargers being installed there. While I think this most likely just represents a minor plan change or an error/typo, I'm willing to concede that there's still a small possibility that it actually represents different installs, one for each company.

3. reddy

reddy Member

Just saw a Dig TESS ticket come through for101 E Stacy Rd, Fairview , which is right off North Central Expressway from Dallas.

This is between McKinney and Allen on US 75.

DRIVING DIRECTIONS: HEAD EAST ON STACY ROAD FROM THE INTERSECTION OF STACY ROAD AND CENTRAL EXPRESSWAY FOR 600 FEET AND THE SITE IS ON THE NORTH SIDE OF STACY ROAD. BOUNDED ON THE EAST BY CAPITAL ONE BANK BUILDING, NORTH BY CURB ISLANDS IN PARKING LOT, EAST, BY THE DRIVE WAY INTO THE SHOPPING CENTER, AND THE SOUTH BY THE NORTH EDGE OF STACY ROAD.

Sounds like a good supercharger site. It's not EV America since there isn't a WalMart there.

The parking lot is for Whole Foods. Looks like plenty of space there.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  4. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

This is a great location right next to the freeway and next to a ton of food places.

But still doesn't help bridge the gap between Dallas and Tulsa, OK. Need one in McAlester

5. rideincircles

rideincircles Member

Any word if the superchargers have gotten the upgrade past 120kw yet? Just wondering. Will be roadtripping to Big Bend this weekend.

6. DriverOne

DriverOne Supporting Member

I believe a couple of stations in CA have the upgrade, as test sites. Other locations will being getting upgraded later this year.

Elon did say they held back Supercharger installations pending V3 availability, so cross fingers that is what's happened in Texas.

7. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

FWIW, I'd expect them to upgrade in more-or-less the original rollout order.

8. Missile Toad

Missile Toad Member

I would think that they upgrade at the 'maximum pain' points first. The chief function of SuperChargers is to enable convenient cross-country travel. I know that Austin, Dallas and other urban-sited chargers are crowded -- but I suspect those are temporary situations for new car owners without reliable home charging. Those sites midway between the big cities would be best upgraded first to allow people to achieve near parity with their ICE brethren that ply the same roads. Incidentally, since the Austin SuC added the Easy Tiger beer garden, that place is a sweet place to charge.

• Like x 2
  9. rideincircles

rideincircles Member

I didn't see it on the Tesla site anymore, but is Texas pay by the minute or KWH for vehicle charging? I thought it was by the minute, but have had free supercharging so far and hadn't seen how much it costs yet. On my trip to Big Bend over the weekend I prefer to stop at every supercharger for short bursts than to fill up the battery entirely and skip chargers. It would seem like if we pay by the minute in Texas then this method works for cheaper charging and faster trips overall. Skipping chargers just tends to put the reserve battery amount really low if you drive any speed above the speed limit or in heavy wind which is usually what its like driving in that direction.

10. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Yes it’s by the minute. No it’s not cheaper or faster your way because when you are charging at less than 60 kW you are paying less per minute but also getting fewer kWh of energy per minute. The two tier pricing was intended as a workaround for not being able to charge per kWh. When you pay more per minute you’re getting more kWh per minute. If you usually charge at less than 60kW your total charging time will be longer. Of course that doesn’t matter if it’s when you’re eating lunch or something so you’d be stopped anyway.

11. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

Yep, it's by the minute. It used to be a set rate for each state and you could look that up online. At some point that changed, so you have to look it up in your car and I think you can only do that if you have pay-per-use. There's 3 different prices for the Houston area:
    1. Channelview: $0.11 or $0.22
    2. 290 and I45: $0.12 or $0.23
    3. Richmond: $0.12 or $0.24
    Austin's more expensive at $0.13 or $0.25

IMG_1174.jpg

IMG_1177.jpg

• Helpful x 3
  12. rideincircles

rideincircles Member

Noted. I was thinking of battery rate up to charge state of 60 kw on the pack. then 60-75kw charging more to top off. All good. Will worry about that next month. Had that backwards and makes more sense now.

13. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

I think you may be confusing kW (power) and kWh (energy).

14. rideincircles

rideincircles Member

Correct. I was thinking in terms of speed of supercharging. So that fast charging at low price would be available up to 60kw of battery charge, then after that it would cost more to top off the battery. That is kind of a throughput pricing to make it more expensive to charge completely. With superchargers running full in other states that is what I was thinking at first.

I got it backwards though. It is charging rates of kw through the supercharger. 120-60 kw is full price, then drops off in price below 60 kw charge rate. No worries. My free supercharging ends at the beginning of next month.

15. plumazul

plumazul Member

The Giddings, TX site may be progressing.

• Like x 1
  16. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

Lol. I saw the same TDLR filing. I was just creating a thread for that location when I saw the notification that you had replied to this post. Here's the thread I started: Supercharger - Giddings, TX

17. nlp187

nlp187 Member

Hi All. We are traveling down to Uvalde, TX for the weekend. I was curious if there were any updates on the San Antonio Superchargers? Looks like the furthest south the Superchargers go right now is San Marcos. There is a destination charger at a coffee shop in Uvalde and I don't see any issues getting down there but was just curious on the above. Thanks!

18. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

Both Henrietta and Burleson are now in construction.