Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Tesla Insurance - Cost Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla insurance quote is For $213. Is this normal? I have no accidents or claims. Does it get lower over time?
I just received Vin today. So I’m looking. It is currently cheaper to use my Liberty Mutual. It’s about $30 cheaper than the Tesla offer.

Tesla insurance quote is For $213. Is this normal? I have no accidents or claims. Does it get lower over time?
I just received Vin today. So I’m looking. It is currently cheaper to use my Liberty Mutual. It’s about $30 cheaper than the Tesla offer.
That seems high, depends on the scope of coverages and how much you drive. Mine stated at $150 for the first month, but that is determined by the assumed SS of 90. After the first month mine has been below $100 and as low as $85. I am in my 7th month with Tesla insurance.

Reactions: Jones1
That seems high, depends on the scope of coverages and how much you drive. Mine stated at $150 for the first month, but that is determined by the assumed SS of 90. After the first month mine has been below $100 and as low as $85. I am in my 7th month with Tesla insurance.
Thanks. I made some adjustments to the initial quote. Got it down under $150. I’m going to keep it for a month after delivery. Then move all of my vehicles to a lower Provider.

I drive 10-15k a year and Tesla insurance quote was double what I pay for better coverage with progressive.
Wow. Even Progressive beat out Tesla. I was with Progressive then went to Farmer’s. Then switched to Liberty Mutual. The last 5 years. I’ve been with liberty mutual.
Progressive was the highest I paid. But I was much younger then.

Also. I don’t even see what the Deductible would be on Tesla insurance. Does anyone know? Using the app. I can’t tell. I want a $500 deductible. Liberty Mutual doesn’t offer that. So I will be going with State Farm. At a later date.

Wow. Even Progressive beat out Tesla. I was with Progressive then went to Farmer’s. Then switched to Liberty Mutual. The last 5 years. I’ve been with liberty mutual.
Progressive was the highest I paid. But I was much younger then.
25 was a big year for my insurance rates dropping. For me Progressive is very fair, except on my Lotus. I feel slightly violated on what I pay to insure that car. I keep threatening to change companies for that car….and eventually I will once I get irritated enough.

25 was a big year for my insurance rates dropping. For me Progressive is very fair, except on my Lotus. I feel slightly violated on what I pay to insure that car. I keep threatening to change companies for that car….and eventually I will once I get irritated enough.
Yes. I did lower my Progressive insurance after a year of having it. They came out the the ODB tracker. That you plug in to your car. I do remember my rates went down. I believe I was 26 or years old. Then I switch companies and got a better rate due to employment. I did like that Progressive had many options for coverage at the time. Liberty Mutual doesn’t. State Farm appears to be more like Progressive.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Best rates I've found is with Connect through American Express
About $100 a month for two cars (Honda & Tesla) and two drivers and they paid out for hail damage the year before.
Tesla Insurance was more than that just for the Tesla and I'd still have to get the Honda covered.

1656170768456.png

My score went up. Premium went down. I wonder if it has to do with the mikes driven too .

I’ve gotten my Premium down to $119. $500 deductible 100/300/25 now the app is saying my next payment would be $112. State Farm had me at $130 for the same coverage. Minus the Gap insurance. That I really don’t need and will cancel in a month or 2. I drive normal. Mostly on AP. I don’t swing lane to lane and cut people off like a ICE vehicle driver. Hopefully after I drop Gap get a 100 score. I will be around a $100 per month. I’m paying $85 for my Wife’s hybrid with State Farm. I thought about adding it to Tesla insurance. I saw you can call and add a non Tesla vehicle to Tesla insurance. Has anyone added a non Tesla Vehicle to Tesla insurance?

On a safety score of 100 Tesla just jacked-up my monthly premium by 30%. Go figure. There’s certainly no transparency as to why.

Same! Well, not 30%, but a good 15%ish percent with no obvious explanation. I‘m still far below other insurance carriers at comparable coverage but I’m not getting the reason for increase.

As I understand your next upcoming premium is based on your previous safety score from 2 months back. Since they give you 2 months to start the program at a high score, you would always be 2 months behind.

As I understand your next upcoming premium is based on your previous safety score from 2 months back. Since they give you 2 months to start the program at a high score, you would always be 2 months behind.
Correct. You will pay the first 2 months at a score of 90. That could be a discount if you receive a score lower. Like an 80. You most likely won’t get a score that low. After you make the first 2 payments. It appears to me. That it is a 30 day period. So if you get a higher score the rate will not change until the next 30 days.

Mine adjusted every month based on the score at the end of the period. The app will have updated premium for next period and accompanied by an email. So if it says July is X, August is Y, then you will pay X in July and on that day, the premium of August will be adjusted depends on your actual score as needed. At the end of the 6 month period, it adjusted based on the mileage used vs the what you agreed on in the policy, mine get closed to so they increased it. I just noticed the policy link disappeared from my tesla account, will check with them to see why tomorrow.

Last edited:
I have Progressive on my model 3 and my Lotus Elise and only pay about $600 every 6 months for coverage. I could get the Elise covered for less with Geico, but then I would lose the two-car discount with Progressive. I signed up online and pay my bill in full so I get an extra discount so that might help. Also I'm over 60 and took a safe driving course. If you are younger, then insurance companies will probably charge you a lot for the lotus, or not even want to cover it. However I think you can get haggerty or one of the specialty insurers for about $800 a year as long as you have a regular newer car to drive around in.