Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Tinting - 5” on Windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any experience or thoughts regarding this weird rule we have in Texas that you can’t tint the windshield, other than a 5” strip at the very top. I’ve typically do this with my other vehicles because “why not”. But with the Tesla being a glass roof and having cameras around that area I just wasn’t sure what dynamics were at play.

Bonus question, am I making a mistake only tinting the front door windows? since the rear comes dark from the factory I figured this was the obvious thing to do.. but the tinting company on the phone said “no one does that”. I get that he is a salesman but am I missing something?

Any other thoughts welcome! I take delivery on my new MY tomorrow in north Houston!

Re the windshield, this is a common law in many states, mine included. Re the bonus question, my understanding is that the second row window factory tinting (and rear hatch window) is for looks only and does not reject infrared (heat). Unlike the glass roof that does. So if you want to cut down on heat, you need to add some tinting also to the rear.

Upvote 0