Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas to produce first model Y in “two weeks”, full production in two months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hadn’t seen a thread on this yet, but one of the quad squad, Joe Tegtmeyer, yesterday said he has a “trusted source” who says that in the next couple weeks Austin will produce it’s first model Y for training and testing purposes , then full production within two months.

Relevant part is 1 minute into the video

"two weeks" seems to be a running joke within tesla, as almost everything is "coming in two weeks". I would not trust that specific time frame for anything telsa says. Could end up being true, unlike all the other times tesla has said "two weeks" and that came and went without whatever they were talking about happening in two weeks happening.

twoweeks.gif

• Funny
Reactions: jjrandorin
Looking at how Giga Shanghai went there may be people getting deliveries of Texas built Model Ys in 3-4 months.
Agreed. Shanghai was what, like Sept 1 first test model produced, and I think first consumer deliveries were Jan? So 4 months from now for TX would be in line with that timeline. And might explain the current estimated delivery on LR Y of Jan across the board. They very well might be pausing LR Y Fremont production and waiting for Austin to handle the backlog in January. Save Fremont this next quarter for performance Ys and model 3 and Ss

Reactions: Mike_TV
Agreed. Shanghai was what, like Sept 1 first test model produced, and I think first consumer deliveries were Jan? So 4 months from now for TX would be in line with that timeline. And might explain the current estimated delivery on LR Y of Jan across the board. They very well might be pausing LR Y Fremont production and waiting for Austin to handle the backlog in January. Save Fremont this next quarter for performance Ys and model 3 and Ss
If the US had the same requirements for production and completion of the factory and yada, yada, yada as China, then yes, you could sat the timeline is the same. I would guess it would be a bit longer due to legal system here. Just because they are testing out per-production models doesn't mean the factory has been approved for full occupancy and production. Lots of check boxes need to be marked before full production starts at a new facility.

Hadn’t seen a thread on this yet, but one of the quad squad, Joe Tegtmeyer, yesterday said he has a “trusted source” who says that in the next couple weeks Austin will produce it’s first model Y for training and testing purposes , then full production within two months.

That assessment sounds credible, and the source is credible.
Austin finally in production in 8 weeks makes sense.
Not much if any sooner.

Berlin, 8-10 weeks after German government approvals.
(Austin final approval papers were submitted more than a month ago - I'm giving the Giga Berlin management credit for being German and ready).

• Disagree
Reactions: glide

As someone already pointed out, this is Joe’s Aug 2 Giga update. No new news here.

That assessment sounds credible, and the source is credible.
Austin finally in production in 8 weeks makes sense.
Not much if any sooner.

Berlin, 8-10 weeks after German government approvals.
(Austin final approval papers were submitted more than a month ago - I'm giving the Giga Berlin management credit for being German and ready).

Do you realize you replied to a post from beginning of August?
Yes, I did. :eek:

However, it still makes complete sense, and bears reminding, given the realities at both factories. As witnessed by, guess what, Tegtmeyer's videos for Texas.
The Giga Texas factory is clearly gearing up at a higher pace. Test builds were run thru in September/October.
Those builds (there were 3) did not include motors or battery packs. 2 were later scrapped for recycling. One is now hanging from the rafters in the GA section.
But Texas is still a bit removed from full test builds, let alone customer shipments. No evidence of full builds has emerged yet.
6-8 weeks for first customer articles is reasonable forecasting. Much less is not.

Giga Berlin received 12-13 chassis for test builds back in a similar timeframe, and only in December were builds completed on them.
Those included motors and battery packs.
Formal government approvals won't be received for Berlin until Xmas vacations are over.
Euros take their vacations seriously. Very seriously. And they're in charge....

Feel free to disagree. We all get to wager our opinions.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Terminator857
Yes, I did. :eek:

Howeveer, it still makes complete sense given the realities at both factories. As witnessed by, guess what, Tegtmeyer's videos for Texas.
The Giga Texas factory is clearly gearing up at a higher pace.
Nonsense. When you reply to something in August and saying it is reasonable that means you are talking about that timeframe.

Test builds were run thru in September/October.
Those builds (there were 3) did not include motors or battery packs. 2 were later scrapped for recycling. One is now hanging from the rafters in the GA section.
But Texas is still a bit removed from full test builds, let alone customer shipments. No evidence of full builds has emerged yet.
6-8 weeks for first customer articles is reasonable forecasting. Much less is not.
More nonsense. From early August + 8 weeks is beginning of October. There hasn't been full production vehicles in that time frame, let alone now.

Reactions: kabin and BGOwner
Nonsense. When you reply to something in August and saying it is reasonable that means you are talking about that timeframe.

More nonsense. From early August + 8 weeks is beginning of October. There hasn't been full production vehicles in that time frame, let alone now.
Okay, you can interpret it that way. That's fair.

I'm saying based on today's evidence, 6-8 weeks to first customer shipments from Austin is reasonable.
I'm also saying 8-10 weeks from Berlin is reasonable.

IMHO YMMV :)

Okay, you can interpret it that way. That's fair.

I'm saying based on today's evidence, 6-8 weeks to first customer shipments from Austin is reasonable.
I'm also saying 8-10 weeks from Berlin is reasonable.

IMHO YMMV :)
Based on today’s evidence, no reason to believe first MYs roll out the door next week. We just don’t know until it actually happens.

Reactions: tangible1