TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

texas vehicle inspection

Discussion in 'Texas' started by gbrgbr, Apr 30, 2019.

1. gbrgbr

gbrgbr Member

I've had my model 3 almost a year and it's time for registration renewal. is there anything special I need to know regarding getting it inspected? there are very few Teslas in my location and i'm not near a service center. the local guys that inspect my gasmobiles have never driven a Tesla. Valet mode is a given.

2. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

You may have to be there with them to show them how to turn on the lights, etc. I had to when I got my S inspected a couple years ago. I don't think they actually drive it. It should be $7, not the usual ICE fee.

• Like x 1
  3. LCR1

LCR1 Active Member

I've never had someone drive my vehicles, why do they need to take it out on the road? Just leave the phone in the car or given the the card and let them figure it out. They'll be back inside in no time.

4. TriNerd

TriNerd Member

Did my inspection and registration this morning. Nothing different about the process.

• Informative x 1
  5. FoxSTL2HOU

FoxSTL2HOU Member

Re: Driving - Depending on who performs the inspection, it could be at a station that requires the vehicle to be in a bay, they may want it to move to rotate the wheels to check tread depth, they may not inspect it immediately and need to move it around the lot, etc.

I've had both ends of the spectrum - one who thought a Tesla was too nice/expensive to touch, so I never got out of the drivers seat while he filled out the items, and another time when they came from the car to ask me how many cylinders to mark down for the engine...

6. LCR1

LCR1 Active Member

Driving the vehicle into the bay is expected, you don't need valet mode for that.

7. gbrgbr

gbrgbr Member

got the inspection done. I told the manager I might need to show the tech how to operate it. he got in the passenger seat and let me drive it. inspection - about 2 minutes. answering question about the car 20-30 minutes.

• Like x 3
  8. LCR1

LCR1 Active Member

I let them try and figure it out. I also neglect to tell them my truck has a turbo timer and I just watch as they take the keys out.

9. MarkinArch

MarkinArch 1st S.A.TX Non Owner TM3 Delivery

I went a couple weeks ago for my first inspection and didn't even need to drive into the bay or get out of my car. One of the staff guys came to me with a big smile, told me he had never seen a Model 3 come in and wanted to see the screen in person. Came back 5 minutes later with my paperwork and told me it would be free of charge (no pun intended) because I was the first Tesla he had "inspected".

He also mentioned that cars 2017 or newer get an instant inspection pass for the first 2 years in Texas. I didn't research it so don't quote me.

10. LCR1

LCR1 Active Member

New vehicles sold in texas get a 2 year (purple) sticker, Teslas (on paper) aren't sold in Texas and therefore don't qualify.

• Informative x 2
  11. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I just take mine to the closest one. No issues for six years. All they do is drive the car about ten feet and check the brakes, check the lights and wipers, and enter the data in their computer.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy Member

I like the waiting room in the North Austin Lexus...

13. AndrewTX

AndrewTX Member

I had a two-year sticker for my MS when I first registered it in 2017. I'm pretty sure any brand new vehicle qualifies, regardless of whether or not it was purchased in Texas.

14. FoxSTL2HOU

FoxSTL2HOU Member

This was something new for 2017 then (or your local tax office was being generous) - our Model X, delivered Sep2016, did not get a two-year sticker.

15. Tycho

Tycho New Member

Our M3 that we had delivered in March this year only received a 1 year registration sticker.

16. SammichLover

SammichLover Active Member

Same. Variation from that would be a [fortunate] clerical error, which would not be out of character for TX DOT. I know someone that accidentally got given a Class A license for passing a Class B testing. That would normally be fortunate thing except that the license they were given also lacked the Passenger endorsement, which was why they'd gone to get the license. :rolleyes: