Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

texas vehicle inspection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my model 3 almost a year and it's time for registration renewal. is there anything special I need to know regarding getting it inspected? there are very few Teslas in my location and i'm not near a service center. the local guys that inspect my gasmobiles have never driven a Tesla. Valet mode is a given.

I've never had someone drive my vehicles, why do they need to take it out on the road? Just leave the phone in the car or given the the card and let them figure it out. They'll be back inside in no time.

Re: Driving - Depending on who performs the inspection, it could be at a station that requires the vehicle to be in a bay, they may want it to move to rotate the wheels to check tread depth, they may not inspect it immediately and need to move it around the lot, etc.

I've had both ends of the spectrum - one who thought a Tesla was too nice/expensive to touch, so I never got out of the drivers seat while he filled out the items, and another time when they came from the car to ask me how many cylinders to mark down for the engine...

I went a couple weeks ago for my first inspection and didn't even need to drive into the bay or get out of my car. One of the staff guys came to me with a big smile, told me he had never seen a Model 3 come in and wanted to see the screen in person. Came back 5 minutes later with my paperwork and told me it would be free of charge (no pun intended) because I was the first Tesla he had "inspected".

He also mentioned that cars 2017 or newer get an instant inspection pass for the first 2 years in Texas. I didn't research it so don't quote me.

I went a couple weeks ago for my first inspection and didn't even need to drive into the bay or get out of my car. One of the staff guys came to me with a big smile, told me he had never seen a Model 3 come in and wanted to see the screen in person. Came back 5 minutes later with my paperwork and told me it would be free of charge (no pun intended) because I was the first Tesla he had "inspected".

He also mentioned that cars 2017 or newer get an instant inspection pass for the first 2 years in Texas. I didn't research it so don't quote me.
New vehicles sold in texas get a 2 year (purple) sticker, Teslas (on paper) aren't sold in Texas and therefore don't qualify.

I've had my model 3 almost a year and it's time for registration renewal. is there anything special I need to know regarding getting it inspected? there are very few Teslas in my location and i'm not near a service center. the local guys that inspect my gasmobiles have never driven a Tesla. Valet mode is a given.
I just take mine to the closest one. No issues for six years. All they do is drive the car about ten feet and check the brakes, check the lights and wipers, and enter the data in their computer.

Our M3 that we had delivered in March this year only received a 1 year registration sticker.
Same. Variation from that would be a [fortunate] clerical error, which would not be out of character for TX DOT. I know someone that accidentally got given a Class A license for passing a Class B testing. That would normally be fortunate thing except that the license they were given also lacked the Passenger endorsement, which was why they'd gone to get the license. :rolleyes:

Resurrecting this thread..... It's obvious Tesla don't need emissions test. I live in a county that requires emissions testing, but I have to be elsewhere for a few months in TX in a county that doesn't require and doesn't perform emissions testing. Has anyone here done this? If so, does the paperwork get flagged, or have you run into issues with registration renewal?

Reactions: SammichLover
Resurrecting this thread..... It's obvious Tesla don't need emissions test. I live in a county that requires emissions testing, but I have to be elsewhere for a few months in TX in a county that doesn't require and doesn't perform emissions testing. Has anyone here done this? If so, does the paperwork get flagged, or have you run into issues with registration renewal?
I haven't done it, but yes, if you don't get the car inspected (for safety issues, lights, brakes, and wipers) you won't be able to renew. However, any state inspection place should be able to do that since it's all computerized. Get it done, wait a day to make sure that the database has been updated, then do the renewal online. If it's there you're home free. If it's not there is a selection for "out of state" that might help. Because there's no emission test for a BEV, it shouldn't matter which county you get the inspection performed.

I haven't done it, but yes, if you don't get the car inspected (for safety issues, lights, brakes, and wipers) you won't be able to renew. However, any state inspection place should be able to do that since it's all computerized. Get it done, wait a day to make sure that the database has been updated, then do the renewal online. If it's there you're home free. If it's not there is a selection for "out of state" that might help. Because there's no emission test for a BEV, it shouldn't matter which county you get the inspection performed.
I believe tmxninja is talking about avoiding having to do (and pay for) an emissions test. Not avoiding the rest of it.