Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texex91 and his resale complaint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Texex91 seemed to get really upset about his car losing so much value in the thread where he went to sell it. He even sent me a nasty message since he did not like that I was disagreeing with him saying his car was only worth $93000. He ended up taking $98000 for it, which made him feel like he did not get completely screwed with the 93k valuation. I explained that the valuation he was getting was not accurate in my opinion. I think this is a pretty simple example of why I think he sold too cheap:
Tesla Model s Performance Plus | eBay

This vehicle has been on ebay for 1 day and is already over 100k. It has almost 10 times the miles his had on it as well.
I do not know if it will go up even another dollar, but obviously 93k is a hugely inaccurate number, especially consider ebay is what I consider to be full of bargain hunters who will always look for a bargain on a vehicle.

Last edited:
Texex91 seemed to get really upset about his car losing so much value in the thread where he went to sell it. He even sent me a nasty message since he did not like that I was disagreeing with him saying his car was only worth $93000. He ended up taking $98000 for it, which made him feel like he did not get completely screwed with the 93k valuation. I explained that the valuation he was getting was not accurate in my opinion. I think this is a pretty simple example of why I think he sold too cheap:
Tesla Model s Performance Plus | eBay

This vehicle has been on ebay for 1 day and is already over 100k. It has almost 10 times the miles his had on it as well.
I do not know if it will go up even another dollar, but obviously 93k is a hugely inaccurate number, especially consider ebay is what I consider to be full of bargain hunters who will always look for a bargain on a vehicle.

You sir are 100% right. ebay is where you go for deals. Ebay is also the land of the last minute snipe, most people bid right before the auction closes. If he wanted to sell it for a specific price, he should have used autotrader or cars.com. The buy it now option for cars never really gets attention from buyers.

And better deals can be had when the buyer knows the seller has a deadline. Others have sold their cars for nearly what they paid and some have sold at a profit (someone sold their 60kWh car to CarMax for a small profit). I'd argue that in most markets/locales there is more demand than supply which results in higher resale prices especially the 60kWh as the wait is so much longer.

I think in EU you could get a good 10-20% profit on the car if you were willing to sell it ;) I guess in the US you could get almost the original purchase price if you advertised it for a week here in TMC etc. Going to car dealers etc that deal in used cars will give you a crap price because I'd guess they all hate Tesla anyway because Tesla is cutting the middle man. As long as demand far exceeds supply the resale value will be high and might be even higher than sticker price for a new car because the car can be had immediately and that adds value. texex car was effectively brand new with further value due to the protective stuff he did on it so the car was handily worth $115k or more given time (i.e. 1-2 weeks I'd guess) and a bit of advertisement on the forum (i.e. texex own signature as he's the top poster anyway). Sorry to see such a Tesla advocate get undercut by so much, but one lucky bastard buyer that was ;)

First no one is upset.

Second, sold for $98K, and that was fine with me (which is the only person that matters).

Third, there is a difference selling to a dealer where yes you will get $92-$93K (which is what I stated) vs selling direct where I would get $98-$100K.

Fourth, why are you so obsessed with what I sold my car (if I sold for $5 or $105K who cares???)

You (and others) hi-jack my simple For Sale thread, then you call me a liar, and now you start another thread (4 days later) to complain about what I sold it for again?

Now run along back to troll land...no one wants to waste any time with you.

Last edited:
I'm confused. Tex wasn't upset about what he sold for. He was responding to the accusation from forum members that he gave the car away at $98k. The $93 was the wholesale quote for profit. There are others that are still lingering for sale and some have sold in the forum. He stated he felt resale was poor because it was an extreme niche within the luxury car market and this is true.

I'm only interested as a model for others to follow as I've sold several cars for several reasons with different value algorithms. Usually folks seek out the most value to them when selling their car. Sometimes that equation isn't all about the sale price or net income from the sale. For instance I wouldn't sell our HCHII to a wholesaler even if the price was good, but rather found a nice college kid who would take care of it.

I hold no ill will toward Tex and you can see that from my posts. But Tex did post a crazy bunch (Texas sized) and I think is still an ambassador so folks were a bit miffed and confused mostly. And now I'm done talking about Tex in the 3rd person and still hope to have a beer with him next time I'm in Austin.

Thanks again for your posts Tex!

I'm only interested as a model for others to follow as I've sold several cars for several reasons with different value algorithms. Usually folks seek out the most value to them when selling their car. Sometimes that equation isn't all about the sale price or net income from the sale. For instance I wouldn't sell our HCHII to a wholesaler even if the price was good, but rather found a nice college kid who would take care of it.

I hold no ill will toward Tex and you can see that from my posts. But Tex did post a crazy bunch (Texas sized) and I think is still an ambassador so folks were a bit miffed and confused mostly. And now I'm done talking about Tex in the 3rd person and still hope to have a beer with him next time I'm in Austin.

Thanks again for your posts Tex!

Can't get rid of me that easy--still sticking around.

Anytime you're in town let me know...hook'em.

First no one is upset.

Second, sold for $98K, and that was fine with me (which is the only person that matters).

Third, there is a difference selling to a dealer where yes you will get $92-$93K (which is what I stated) vs selling direct where I would get $98-$100K.

Fourth, why are you so obsessed with what I sold my car (if I sold for $5 or $105K who cares???)

You (and others) hi-jack my simple For Sale thread, then you call me a liar, and now you start another thread (4 days later) to complain about what I sold it for again?

Now run along back to troll land...no one wants to waste any time with you.

Tex, I took it from your posts in your for sale thread that you were pretty upset about the perceived resale value, and I think others who read it felt the same way. I may have misread your meaning, but it was what I felt you were trying to convey. The message you sent me: "Get your facts straight ass wipe" seems to indicate you are not happy about my opinion as well. I was not trying to Hi jack your thread at all. I even complimented you in it and said the fact that you were it's first owner should make it more valuable than it otherwise would be. How did I call you a liar? If I did or it was perceived that I did, I apologize, but I would like to know what I specifically said that led you to think I was calling you anything of the sort. Heck, I really like your posts and I hate that you seem to think of me as some sort of adversary just because I disagreed with your opinion. Why do I care what you sold your car for? Really, I care because I hate that it left a bad taste in your mouth after the gushing praise you have heaped onto the car and I also think that when someone gives a car away it lowers the perceived value of all of our cars, much like a bunch of foreclosures in your neighborhood would affect your home's value. I certainly know the difference between selling to a dealer and selling to an individual, but you allowed what the wholesale market told you the car was worth decide that the resale market was terrible for them and that's not a fair way to judge resale values in my opinion. I think this link I posted at the beginning of this thread indicates that is true. I do not think you should be calling me a troll. Nothing I have posted about this situation is "troll-like". I was not aware that if I disagreed with your opinion it made me into a troll. Seems a little harsh to be honest. If I was a troll I would be bashing the car and bashing you. I love the car and while I don't know you, I respect many of the opinions you have stated in other posts. I simply felt on this one situation you stated an opinion that I did not agree with. That and you pull for the wrong football team :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

Uhh, why is this even a topic of discussion?

You would have to read the thread where he sold his car (in it's original un-edited version which is no longer there). Some people almost accused Tex of being some sort of turncoat or plant by being so vocally happy about it while he had only put a few hundred miles on it and selling a vehicle he had pretty much called the Alpha and Omega of Automobiles (I am taking some liberties with that description).
I think since Texex seemed so upset with me for having a different opinion I felt I should explain why I felt the way I did.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm confused. Tex wasn't upset about what he sold for. He was responding to the accusation from forum members that he gave the car away at $98k. The $93 was the wholesale quote for profit. There are others that are still lingering for sale and some have sold in the forum. He stated he felt resale was poor because it was an extreme niche within the luxury car market and this is true.

I felt he was upset with me (see above for message) since he did not like that I disagreed with him about the resale value being so bad on his car. I certainly could have misread his feelings about it (we all know typed words do not convey the context as well as being heard or seen in person), but based on that I felt he was not being fair to the model S. I mean, If I run a car through an auction with 1 bidder and it sells for $10 is that the value of my car? Going to 5 wholesale buyers is not a ton different than that in my opinion.

Last edited:
I still don't know why this is a topic of discussion even after reading the OP's posts about why he felt compelled to make it one.

Let me see if I can connect the dots for you:
1. A guy (who was/is possibly one of the most vocal supporters/enthusiasts of the product over the last few months) posts that he is selling his car and that resale value is terrible based solely on wholesale quotes.
2. I post that I think he is not using a fair source for that valuation.
3. He disagrees and decides to call me an ass wipe to express his dissatisfaction with my opinion.
4. This is a discussion forum.
5. Discussion forums are usually conversations consisting of facts and opinion. Without that what would it be? A wiki I assume.
6. As the original thread was closed due to it being way off topic and some attacks on the OP I thought I would share MY OPINION about the reason I felt the valuation was not correct. I am not attacking texex, only explaining why my opinion differs from his.
7. You are welcome to not read it, not agree with it, or all out put me on ignore. I was not aware I needed to be given permission to justify my posts to everyone before starting a thread or replying to an existing one.

I assume you are either skimming the thread, did not read the original thread in its unedited version (which I mentioned before) or just don't have the mental wherewithal to understand it. You are welcome to tell me which of the above applies. If I come across as a bit of an ass, sorry. Just not sure how you could take in all of the info and not understand it.

If you think my thread is not worthy of discussion I would think you would be pretty much nauseous trying to understand why MANY other threads were started:

Tesla Pumpkin

A Tesla Car: a ?!!

The Perfect concept EVTown

I personally see no issue with them ,but if opinions are frowned upon surely these must be on your naughty list along with almost every other thread here.

I assume you are either skimming the thread, did not read the original thread in its unedited version (which I mentioned before) or just don't have the mental wherewithal to understand it. You are welcome to tell me which of the above applies. If I come across as a bit of an ass, sorry. Just not sure how you could take in all of the info and not understand it.

Attacking someone's intelligence is really not needed here.

Attacking someone's intelligence is really not needed here.

I did not attack someone's intelligence. I merely suggested it was one of the possibilities I considered might be the reason it was not more clear to them. I also said I "assumed" it might be one of the reasons. I can certainly be wrong. I wish some of he others here had the guts to admit the same (not necessarily people from this thread, just on forums in general where people take a "my opinion is fact" stance).

- - - Updated - - -

never seen that video or heard of that song but to the sentiment I say "damn straight".
I assume by the logo in the top right it's some odd marketing ploy by craftmatic? :wink::biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not attack someone's intelligence. I merely suggested it was one of the possibilities I considered might be the reason it was not more clear to them. I also said I "assumed" it might be one of the reasons. I can certainly be wrong. I wish some of he others here had the guts to admit the same (not necessarily people from this thread, just on forums in general where people take a "my opinion is fact" stance).
Let me see if I understand how this works. If you don't agree with me I assume you either didn't read the whole thing or you are an {insert insult}.

And by phrasing it that way it's now OK to insult you.

Fascinating.

Let me see if I can connect the dots for you:
1. A guy (who was/is possibly one of the most vocal supporters/enthusiasts of the product over the last few months) posts that he is selling his car and that resale value is terrible based solely on wholesale quotes.
2. I post that I think he is not using a fair source for that valuation.
3. He disagrees and decides to call me an ass wipe to express his dissatisfaction with my opinion.
4. This is a discussion forum.
5. Discussion forums are usually conversations consisting of facts and opinion. Without that what would it be? A wiki I assume.
6. As the original thread was closed due to it being way off topic and some attacks on the OP I thought I would share MY OPINION about the reason I felt the valuation was not correct. I am not attacking texex, only explaining why my opinion differs from his.
7. You are welcome to not read it, not agree with it, or all out put me on ignore. I was not aware I needed to be given permission to justify my posts to everyone before starting a thread or replying to an existing one.

If you think my thread is not worthy of discussion I would think you would be pretty much nauseous trying to understand why MANY other threads were started:

Tesla Pumpkin

A Tesla Car: a ?!!

The Perfect concept EVTown

I personally see no issue with them ,but if opinions are frowned upon surely these must be on your naughty list along with almost every other thread here.

So, in a nutshell, you're pissed because you can't continue to trade barbs with Texex in the other thread, so you open this one. I'm plenty intelligent enough to connect all the dots, thank you.

What interest in Tesla, other than trading barbs with Texex, do you have? Do you own a Tesla? Are you considering buying one? Other than looking to continue a fight, what is the purpose of this thread for the entire TMC community? I assume the answers are no, no, and none.

Let me see if I understand how this works. If you don't agree with me I assume you either didn't read the whole thing or you are an {insert insult}.

And by phrasing it that way it's now OK to insult you.

Fascinating.

Nope, that's not what I said at all. My response was not in regards to the person not agreeing with me. It was in response to them not thinking there was a reason for the thread to begin with.
Thanks for taking the time to actually read and consider what I said.
NOT

- - - Updated - - -

So, in a nutshell, you're pissed because you can't continue to trade barbs with Texex in the other thread, so you open this one. I'm plenty intelligent enough to connect all the dots, thank you.

What interest in Tesla, other than trading barbs with Texex, do you have? Do you own a Tesla? Are you considering buying one? Other than looking to continue a fight, what is the purpose of this thread for the entire TMC community? I assume the answers are no, no, and none.

No, I am not pissed at all. Sorry if my wording comes across as pissed. I am not even pissed at Tex even though he attacked me for having a different opinion. I still like and respect his opinion on most subjects. We simply disagree on this subject.
I own a p85+ myself (and love it). My purpose of the thread is to express why I feel his opinion that the Model S has
"T E R R I B L E" resale value is flawed (again, my opinion, which you are welcome to agree or disagree with). So your assumptions about no, no and none are wrong, wrong, and wrong. That being said, I am not gloating, but as you can see assumptions can be wrong. Mine could be,and yours certainly were.

Status
Not open for further replies.