Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

text from service center (downgrade from sr+ to sr)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So tesla did downgrade from 240 to 220. But it's showing only 204 miles at 100%. Service center texted me this, can someone explain?
Screenshot_20190906-214240.png

Service center texted me this, can someone explain?

My understanding: The mile meter is according to EPA calculation.

It doesn't matter that I drive fast or slow, the EPA numbers don't change.

100%=220 miles
50%=110 miles

However, whether I can use the whole 220 miles at 100% or 110 miles at 50% is dependent on how fast or how slow I drive.

If I have a heavy foot, and I started with 100%, 220 miles and I drove for 50 miles the battery meter would reflect how fast or how slow I drive, and in this case, it might lose 110 miles for just 50 miles 220-110=110 miles left on the battery meter and it would also display 50% left too.

So, in a sense, the car didn't learn that I didn't use just 50 miles for a 50-mile distance, it just translates there's 50% left so the EPA mile number for 50% is 110 miles left.

But it does not reduce the 100% display into 110 miles (just because I use that much just to drive 50 miles).

Last edited:
So tesla did downgrade from 240 to 220. But it's showing only 204 miles at 100%.

The battery gauge is an indirect measurement of your battery or the best guess.

It will continue to get less precise with time.

Currently, Tesla doesn't have to fix the less than expected displayed mile issue until you lose more 30% per your Model 3 warranty.

Last edited:
It uses the voltage to detect range and will adjust predictions based on multiple factors including charging habits. There are YouTube videos on this. They can reset this at the service center but deep cycles can also fix it over time.

I'm not so sure anymore. Seems like there are lots of reports like the OP now, and it would explain my numbers better. :confused:

No ambiguity. That's not how it works. Now, it does estimate charge level, but the Wh/mi used to display miles remaining on the main screen is fixed. Your driving behavior does not alter it on the 3, ever. Where you will see that stuff taken into account is on the energy graph's estimate.

So tesla did downgrade from 240 to 220. But it's showing only 204 miles at 100%. Service center texted me this, can someone explain?
View attachment 451554
Aw crap, not this again! The rep is wrong and needs training. This is problem where Tesla has hired too many people too fast with insufficient training. Rated miles is a constant times the number of watt hours that the battery management system detects in the battery. It does NOT change with driver behavior. The ability of the battery management system to assess what is in the battery can get out of calibration over time. The “cure” is to cycle battery a couple of times (deep discharge to 10% or less and charge to 95% or more). Caution: charging above 95% and leaving the car sitting is not good for battery. So only cycle when you can drive it down a bit soon after charge.

This caution may not be true for software limited SR. The way they “downgraded” you was to limit your access to full capacity of battery. So if your 100% is actually 90% of battery capacity, then you should be OK charging to 100 any old time. Problem is it is hard to get good info, so i’d still stick with daily charge level except where needed for trip or cycling.

If cycling doesn’t improve and there are a lot of similar reports on SR software limited batteries, there may be issues with how Tesla designed the limiting that need fixing. Watch the forums, compile real data, and band together to get them to notice. Response to one off anecdotes like yours will be brushed off by local reps who don’t know beans.

Thanks for all answers. I also think the rep it wrong. When I go on trip I'd like to see 215 - 220 miles at 100%. I'm guessing there is nothing they can do at the service, so they don't want take me in. I will try to deep cycle few times and see if that fixes it. Btw before the downgrade when I went on trips (only few times) and charge to 100% it showed 236-238, so not sure why it's now 202-204.

I am not convinced the rep is wrong. When I first purchased my 2016 MX last year my lifetime wh/m was around 377. It’s is now around 350 and since my 100% range has also increased. Wouldn’t this support the reps statement?

I would suspect the range algorithm factors historical usage patterns. This is supported with a lower lifetime wh/m allowing for additional range and would be no different than any other vehicle where there is an estimated distance. This is also true with our Chevy volt where the range has also increased with greater efficiency since purchasing used. I have been using teslafi data logging for the MX which further supports the rep showing the 100% range slightly increasing over time as I drive more efficiently.

I would suspect the range algorithm factors historical usage patterns. This is supported with a lower lifetime wh/m allowing for additional range and would be no different than any other vehicle where there is an estimated distance. This is also true with our Chevy volt where the range has also increased with greater efficiency since purchasing used. I have been using teslafi data logging for the MX which further supports the rep showing the 100% range slightly increasing over time as I drive more efficiently.
It absolutely does not. There's a reason the range display is called rated range. You can see projected range in the energy screen, which does in fact account for driving habits and on that same screen you can see the fixed rated efficiency line on the graph.

Any improvement you may have seen to displayed range at charge is probably BMS calibration.

Stop guessing! You are wrong. Take it from 7 year Tesla owner and many others who have had years of experience and are not guessing. Rated range does NOT factor in driving. Then it would not be “rated” range.

As I asked before. Exactly how has your max range increased? You are making vague references to data.... show us.

Reactions: smashcz
Stop guessing! You are wrong. Take it from 7 year Tesla owner and many others who have had years of experience and are not guessing. Rated range does NOT factor in driving. Then it would not be “rated” range.

Just because this is what Tesla has historically done does NOT mean they haven't changed something and not told anyone. We all know how great they are at communicating.