Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Text from Tesla to schedule and inspection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just received a text from +447479270301:

Tesla Update - Your Tesla Model 3 is a inspection. Schedule a service in the Tesla app at ts.la/app. To unsubscribe from SMS, reply STOP.

Before I book a wasted services, does anyone know is this is a legitimate Tesla message from a known Tesla number? (I'm suspicious of the partial sentence - "your Tesla is a inspection" o_O)

Thanks,

Steve

I've just received a text from +447479270301:

Before I book a wasted services, does anyone know is this is a legitimate Tesla message from a known Tesla number? (I'm suspicious of the partial sentence - "your Tesla is a inspection" o_O)

Thanks,

Steve
Since that number has also been the source of messages from “HSBC” you can be assured it’s a scam. (Google the number)

• Helpful
Reactions: UkNorthampton
I got that messages as well yesterday from +44 7445921543

Today I got a followup message:

"Tesla Update Correction - Your Tesla is due a compressor pipe insulation inspection. Schedule a service in the Tesla App at ts.la/app by selecting Other --> Something Else. To unsubscribe from SMS, reply STOP"

I phoned up Tesla Service. They said they didn't send that message.

The key is the “To unsubscribe from SMS, reply STOP.” bit, as that’s likely where the scammers make the cash, presumably through a higher rate reply-to number alias, or just establishing communication with the victims leading on to a request for payment in advance.

Reactions: Durzel
Or I would say they are just working out who actually replies to the text, as those people are more likely to be susceptible to scams.

Multilayered scams are sadly quite effective. They don't just go in with the first hit anymore, they lead the victim slowly and build trust.

When Tesla did need cars returned before, for example the first heat pump recall, the message appeared on the screen in the car.

Reactions: Durzel
Just to followup up, a couple of days after the first message I got an update:

Tesla Update Correction - Your Tesla is due a compressor pipe insulation inspection. Schedule a service in the Tesla app at ts.la/app by selecting Other > Something Else. To unsubscribe from SMS, reply STOP.

Going directly into the App, I've booked a service and Tesla have approved it...

Steve

The key is the “To unsubscribe from SMS, reply STOP.” bit, as that’s likely where the scammers make the cash, presumably through a higher rate reply-to number alias, or just establishing communication with the victims leading on to a request for payment in advance.
In respect of a Service Centre visit I had a legitimate text from Tesla that ended: "To stop receiving SMS, reply "STOP". Message and data rates may apply." ... so that's not necessarily a determining factor one way or the other.

This is the same number that texted me my RN number when i ordered my Model 3 so it must be legit.
The trouble with sms is that the sender can potentially “send” from any number so it’s not a complete guarantee. I still have an online sms service account that allows me to do that and the fact that it was possible did amaze me!