Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Text message, choice for no voice?

djrockadoo

Dec 19, 2019
Richmond, VA
I love the new text messaging but the auto reading is fairly annoying. Slow, reads the name or phone number digits, when I can glance down and take it in as fast as I read my speedometer.

I’ve accidentally had it work where the text just comes up and there’s no voice. Seemed to be related to if I had voice navigation going... maybe. Would love turning voice off to be a toggle switch once sync messages is on.

• Informative
Reactions: DelPhonic1

RedXowner

Mar 24, 2020
Springfield, Virginia
Apple Play, which is awesome but not available on Tesla, also reads the phone number digit by digit unless it's a contact with a name, in which case it just reads the name, so same as Tesla proprietary texting system. Believe we're stuck with that. What I would like to see Tesla do is enable driver to select a contact to whom he/she can dictate a text from scratch. That's the beauty of Apple Play and the capability that's missing from the Tesla system.

bhorn

Apr 10, 2020
AL Gulf Coast
Apple Play, which is awesome but not available on Tesla, also reads the phone number digit by digit unless it's a contact with a name, in which case it just reads the name, so same as Tesla proprietary texting system. Believe we're stuck with that. What I would like to see Tesla do is enable driver to select a contact to whom he/she can dictate a text from scratch. That's the beauty of Apple Play and the capability that's missing from the Tesla system.
You can dictate and send a text. Not sure what you are asking for.

RedXowner

Mar 24, 2020
Springfield, Virginia
@epbernstein Confirmed this works, but the nuance is that you have to say "Hey Siri" without using the press to talk button on the steering wheel. Tried it first by using that button, and the car said Command not recognized. Then I tried without using the steering wheel button, and it worked fine, allowing the sound to come through the car speakers, yet using the functionality of Apple texting. Sweet.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC