Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Text message - Gateway not reporting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About 30 mins back, I got a text message from Tesla saying my Tesla solar gateway monitoring device is not reporting in. However I see the app is working fine. I am assuming the app pulls data from Tesla and not directly from TEG which is connected to my wifi. Should I just ignore? Was wondering if this was some system wide issue which got self corrected.

About 30 mins back, I got a text message from Tesla saying my Tesla solar gateway monitoring device is not reporting in. However I see the app is working fine. I am assuming the app pulls data from Tesla and not directly from TEG which is connected to my wifi. Should I just ignore? Was wondering if this was some system wide issue which got self corrected.

The solar gateway is the little black box. If you have powerwalls, the same data is coming to tesla from the TEG (the tesla energy gateway), with the exception that the solar gateway lets tesla access the inverters directly.

OHHHHH.. I never connected the little black box. I have powerwalls and my inverter is hardwired to a wifi hub. Since inverter is hardwired to wifi, I never bothered to connect the little black box. Any advantage for users like us or is that just for Tesla to get data from inverter?

OHHHHH.. I never connected the little black box. I have powerwalls and my inverter is hardwired to a wifi hub. Since inverter is hardwired to wifi, I never bothered to connect the little black box. Any advantage for users like us or is that just for Tesla to get data from inverter?

Tesla expects it to be connected so they can get data from (and theoretically push firmware to / support) the inverter. If you have a solar only install, the data coming from there is what is pushed through the tesla app, is my understanding. If you (like you and I) have powerwalls, the TEG gathers all that data, so the solar gateway (little black box) function is for support of the inverter.

I dont know what (if anything) teslas contract says about connecting that device, but the TL ; DR version is, tesla uses it to support the inverter (supposedly) so they expect it to be connected. If you dont connect it, you wont lose any data access in the tesla app because you have powerwalls. They will likely keep nagging you about it (might even call you) though.

I have mine connected, FWIW, and I have an old inverter they no longer sell.

Tesla expects it to be connected so they can get data from (and theoretically push firmware to / support) the inverter. If you have a solar only install, the data coming from there is what is pushed through the tesla app, is my understanding. If you (like you and I) have powerwalls, the TEG gathers all that data, so the solar gateway (little black box) function is for support of the inverter.

I dont know what (if anything) teslas contract says about connecting that device, but the TL ; DR version is, tesla uses it to support the inverter (supposedly) so they expect it to be connected. If you dont connect it, you wont lose any data access in the tesla app because you have powerwalls. They will likely keep nagging you about it (might even call you) though.

I have mine connected, FWIW, and I have an old inverter they no longer sell.

I see data getting downloaded and uploaded since I connected it yesterday. However I still have the NO SIGNAL led light up. How long does it take to go away?

I see data getting downloaded and uploaded since I connected it yesterday. However I still have the NO SIGNAL led light up. How long does it take to go away?

You might need to contact tesla to make sure its paired to your account, after that its "normally" about 24 hours but these things are finicky.

Reactions: mnsweeps
sounds good...so I am not sure which 'account' on Tesla side is it uploading data to?

Well... for example, if your neighbor has tesla solar, their inverter might have hopped on solar gateway. The inverter will just jump on the closest one. For a slightly more detailed explanation of what I am talking about, look for my posts in the following thread:

Tesla Neo Gateway not working after new router

Well... for example, if your neighbor has tesla solar, their inverter might have hopped on solar gateway. The inverter will just jump on the closest one. For a slightly more detailed explanation of what I am talking about, look for my posts in the following thread:

Tesla Neo Gateway not working after new router

okay ...my inverter is hardwired to my router ...since this tiny gateway is also connected to my wifi , I assume it would search for inverter on my wifi SSID. Also none of my neighbors have Tesla solar installs.

okay ...my inverter is hardwired to my router ...since this tiny gateway is also connected to my wifi , I assume it would search for inverter on my wifi SSID. Also none of my neighbors have Tesla solar installs.

No, it uses zigbee. Its not connected to your wifi (to my knowledge) its connected hardwired to your network, and zigbee (not wifi) to the inverters.

• Informative
Reactions: mnsweeps
@jjrandorin so I called TESLA and they asked me to power cycle the inverter after turning off the Solar PV breaker switch. Once that was done, they asked me to power cycle the small black gateway but then the message NO SIGNAL did not go away. They said they can see the gateway online on their end but my gateway is not connected to the inverter. They said they will create a ticket for it.

I used the solaredge app to connect to my inverter and got these screenshots. Is everything set okay?

View media item 122244
View media item 122243

@jjrandorin so I called TESLA and they asked me to power cycle the inverter after turning off the Solar PV breaker switch. Once that was done, they asked me to power cycle the small black gateway but then the message NO SIGNAL did not go away. They said they can see the gateway online on their end but my gateway is not connected to the inverter. They said they will create a ticket for it.

I used the solaredge app to connect to my inverter and got these screenshots. Is everything set okay?

View media item 122244
View media item 122243

I cant provide any feedback on solar edge, I dont have one of those. My inverter has no web access, etc. Its a brand called "ABB".