Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Text message - Gateway not reporting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I threw the black box in a drawer and wired up the SE to ethernet. I only care about SE getting monitoring data. Tesla app still shows solar production since I have a TEG/GW2.

Thats what I did too. My SE inverter is hardwired to wifi. But yesterday I got a text and email saying my Tesla solar guard gateway isn't feeding data back to Tesla. My Tesla app and SE app all work fine and shows production normal. But I want to clear up this annoying text/email from Tesla. I still see NO SIGNAL on my zigbee gateway :-(

Thats what I did too. My SE inverter is hardwired to wifi. But yesterday I got a text and email saying my Tesla solar guard gateway isn't feeding data back to Tesla. My Tesla app and SE app all work fine and shows production normal. But I want to clear up this annoying text/email from Tesla. I still see NO SIGNAL on my zigbee gateway :-(
what does hardwired to wifi mean. Either one is hardwired to ones home intranet, or one is connected via wifi. Currently my SE has a zigbee wifi card, which connects to my zigbee AP, which is connected to my intranet. I hear I can connect my hardwire directly into the SE and get rid of the zigbee wifi card and zigbee AP.

what does hardwired to wifi mean. Either one is hardwired to ones home intranet, or one is connected via wifi. Currently my SE has a zigbee wifi card, which connects to my zigbee AP, which is connected to my intranet. I hear I can connect my hardwire directly into the SE and get rid of the zigbee wifi card and zigbee AP.

Its possible to have a device hard wired to a bridge that is connected to your network wirelessly. Thats how I read "hardwired to wifi", but that may be because I had it setup that way in my own garage for a while.

(hardwired to a router that I was using as a wireless access point).

Also, speed of updates for the tesla API for someone with powerwalls has nothing to do with the solar gateway (little black box) being discussed in this thread.

hard wiring the TEG (tesla energy gateway, the gateway that controls powerwall flows) does tend to make the updates faster, but thats not the little black box solar gateway.

I have a network cable connected to the inverter network port and other end connected to my wifi network hub. I am not using wifi for connection between inverter and my router. Instead a network cable connects them.

check one of the image I posted above and you would see ETHERNET connection on inverter.

That would make sense as to why you have no signal on the solar gateway (little black box), if thats the case. I remember that thread now too.

does that mean I have to connect my SE inverter to internet via wifi and disconnect ethernet conn? and that would help gateway to connect over zigbee? Since mine was hardwired, Tesla installers never setup wifi on my inverter so I cannot just unplug the network cable either. Do I need Tesla to come and turn on wifi or can I do it on my own?

I can not provide any feedback or advice on anything with the solar edge inverter, sorry. I dont have one. I have no idea about how to configure it, etc. I know you can turn on wireless on your TEG on your own, but thats not what you are asking.

Since you are just trying to comply with something tesla wants, but that you personally dont need (because you have a powerwall, with the powerwall gateway, which reports data to tesla), if I were in your specific shoes I might call tesla and tell them

"My tesla installers hard wired my inverter to my network, and it should be communicating that way, is it possible to remove this solar gateway device , the little black box, from my account so I do not continue to receive notices about it?"

No idea what they would say, but thats how I would approach it if I were in your specific shoes.

Still NO SIGNAL ( as expected) on the tiny black gateway box. So I casually called Tesla again and talked to a technician who seems more knowledgable. He said since my inverter is hardwired to my router via ethernet there is no need for this small box. He said he will put a note on my account with that detail. I asked how I can stop the text message / email saying my gateway is not connected to my inverter. He said he will ask the senior diagnostics technician to snooze those alerts so I can turn off and not use the black box gateway ever.

My text messages stopped after the last discussion mentioned above ^. However I got an email last night saying the same thing about not able to monitor. So I called again to check and talked with someone who said they forgot to take out the email notifications..she updated my account and said I would no longer received email notifications related to it...and I can keep the small black gateway box turned off as its not needed since my inverter is hardwired to my router.