Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Text Message reading in 2019.40.5 Early Access!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got this update last night.I'm not early access (actually don't even know what that means.) BUT, I was excited to try out the text message reading. It works, but not really. It reads this exact text out loud, which isn't helpful to me. Now these messages are coming in via RCS (Rich Communications Service) protocol, NOT SMS. Maybe that is the issue.

Attachments

• IMG_20191225_121659.jpg
    IMG_20191225_121659.jpg
    639.3 KB · Views: 90
Is anyone having problems with Bluetooth connectivity? For some reason, my phone does not see the Tesla and the Tesla doesn't see my phone. It did it once, but now it won't connect. I deleted the phone from the car and the car from the phone, and it won't connect, won't even find the phone. The car does see other Bluetooth devices, but not the phone, and the phone sees others as well. I'll keep searching to see if others are experiencing a similar issue. PS: at one point I did connect - briefly - and got a text message that the car read, but the odd thing was it read the header and footer of the message (the code itself). Now it won't connect. I'm very sad.

Did anyone get the text message to sync with Android? It keeps failing at sync and the help just tell you how to enable bluetooth message on iPhone. How do you do it on Android 10?

BTW, 2019.40.5.1 does not require HW 3 or FSD. I have HW2.5 and EAP.. did not buy FSD. My update does not have FSD visualization though.. but got everything else I think.

Did anyone get the text message to sync with Android? It keeps failing at sync and the help just tell you how to enable bluetooth message on iPhone. How do you do it on Android 10?

BTW, 2019.40.5.1 does not require HW 3 or FSD. I have HW2.5 and EAP.. did not buy FSD. My update does not have FSD visualization though.. but got everything else I think.
I'm not sure what you've tried yet so you may have already done all this but... it's working for my on my Pixel 3.

On the phone - go into bluetooth settings and make sure messages are checked for your Tesla connection
In the car - click on the bluetooth icon in the upper right and make sure all options are enabled

If none of those work then try unpairing your phone and then pair it again.

I'm not sure what you've tried yet so you may have already done all this but... it's working for my on my Pixel 3.

On the phone - go into bluetooth settings and make sure messages are checked for your Tesla connection
In the car - click on the bluetooth icon in the upper right and make sure all options are enabled

If none of those work then try unpairing your phone and then pair it again.

I have a Pixel 3XL too, but I don't see a "Message" option in my Tesla Model 3 settings in bluetooth. It only has:
HD audio, Phone calls, Media audio, and Contact sharing. All of them are On.

EDIT: I went ahead and forget the connection and started fresh. It works now.. and I got the Message option. I got a pop up on the phone asking if I will allow Tesla to have access to my messages.

Last edited:
I have a Pixel 3XL too, but I don't see a "Message" option in my Tesla Model 3 settings in bluetooth. It only has:
HD audio, Phone calls, Media audio, and Contact sharing. All of them are On.

EDIT: I went ahead and forget the connection and started fresh. It works now.. and I got the Message option. I got a pop up on the phone asking if I will allow Tesla to have access to my messages.
Good deal. Glad you got it working.

I just want to say that this voice command texting needs some work.

"Sent message to Alec."
I can see the text typed out correctly and then it autocorrected to Alex. Ended up contact not found. I tried it 5 or 6 times...same thing. What? Alec is not common enough first name? :p

"Sent message to Masha."
This time it won't even spell out Masha... kept doing Marsha instead. So I had to do "Maysha" with a long a instead.. and that only works about 20% of the time.

Instead of trying to find the closest match in your contact list... it is trying to first spell out your voice and find the exact match on the contact list.

you are confusing text to speech (to read text aloud) we are discussing and speech to text (for car commands) that they indeedfaar out to google or nuance based on the language used.

PoC is proof of concept.

I think you are getting the two mixed up. Text to speech is easy and can be done on a small microprocessor. In fact, TI makes a $20 toy that does text to speech. It is the voice commands that have to be sent to a server to be analyzed. I might be done in the car someday, but today it is done on servers, same with cell phones. So no cell connection means no voice commands.

My cell phone... "Hey Google, turn off airplane mode"... "I'm sorry, I can't do that now, airplane mode is enabled". In the Tesla is just sits for a bit and then tells me to try again and lists the small handful of commands it can even process.

I don't get why they want to be the man in the middle with texts. The phone is capable of doing all of that itself. The car just needs to be the speaker and microphone for the cell phone. That's all I want. Then the controls work the same way whether I'm in my Tesla or my Tundra.

I don't get why they want to be the man in the middle with texts. The phone is capable of doing all of that itself. The car just needs to be the speaker and microphone for the cell phone. That's all I want. Then the controls work the same way whether I'm in my Tesla or my Tundra.

Because apparently not all phones work well that way. The car has supported that method since day one.