Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Text Message Replies don’t work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a reply button and when I dictate, the MCU acts like it gets sent, but doesn’t.

I'm curious do you see the text or the words that you have dictated in your instrument cluster display prior to sending? I know my car does this but it does take it a while for it to recognize my speech and then it appears in the instrument cluster then I can hit send.

same problem as everyone else

Iphone X, on wireless charger. Ios13 or 14.
2020.36.X

Impossible to answer messages (iMessages in my case, and not group, just regular messages)

The text is understood, you hit "send" (right button)and... it sends nothing.

I can SEND new messages, but never answer them.

Has been like this since at least 4 updates, so there must be something specific we all have in common ?
If nobody on ios could answer messages i SUPPOSE it would be fixed by tesla already ?

yup, deleted from both the phone's bluetooth and the car's bluetooth.

I tried all I could think of.
Also this is in a model3 so this bug seems to be across all cars (as we're in the Model S forum)

Is it working for iMessages for you ? (no regular "sms" text messages I mean) ?

We have two Android phones and two vehicles. As long as the vehicle is paired to the phone, we have had no issues initiating text messages or replying. Android 10.
Never knew you couldn't properly rely to group or multi recipient texts. Innerestin'...

I have the same problem as described above. NEW messages work from 2 iphones but replies never make it back to the car. It can cause fairly significant communication issues because it looks from the car side like the message was sent. I've opened a case with support through the app. I'll reply if i get any news.

What dose have all in common is a good question
I do have a Apple Watch. Do you as well ?

also my iMessage app is linked to both phone number and email for reception and only to phone number for outgoing ( which I feel is at the core of the bug ) what about you ?

I believe it has to do with how iMessage is set-up on the sending end.
If the iMessage is send from the phone number they you can send a reply. If the iMessage is sent from an @icloud address, you can read but the reply does not work as the Tesla is unable to send a text message (SMS) to an email address.

You may need to do some testing with a sender you know to verify.

• Informative
Reactions: BigNick
What dose have all in common is a good question
I do have a Apple Watch. Do you as well ?

also my iMessage app is linked to both phone number and email for reception and only to phone number for outgoing ( which I feel is at the core of the bug ) what about you ?

I did not see your reply initially but you are pointing in the right direction I believe.

Problem is that's the first think I thought about, and that it clearly is set on "phone number" on all ends for all my family.

After much tinkering, I've successfuly made it work, and it's clearly a problem in the car (none of this affects a carplay powered car I have as well)

To finally make the Tesla be able to answer messages ; I had to REMOVE all references to icloud email in BOTH the sending and receiving side, and then only, the answers comes back to the emitter.
If you leave it on the receiving side, it could at any time start sending you "imessages from email" again and these wouldn't be supported.

The car is simply not able to handle iOS contacts which have both icloud email & a phone number beeing set - which is the default setting. I'm surprised not many people complain about that, or maybe they simply don't realize their messages are not coming thru all the time...
Because what's really dangerous is that the car makes you think the message was sucessfully sent.

Last edited:
If somebody is confused about what we are talking about, as this is quite technical, see
iMessage: Use Phone Number Instead Of Email Address

And as this webpage perfectly states, you have to CHANGE what is the default setting of iphone if you want to be able to answer an incoming imessage in your tesla.

The car seems to only support "send and receive : phone number" and nothing more complex than that, especialy it will NOT handle "receive email & phone".

Anyway, hope this helps someone. If we had a way to report bugs to tesla this would have been solved a year ago.

As a quickfix, what the car should do is simply look up in the contacts the "email" it has been receiving, and send the answer back to to phone number associated to the same contact. (Just like a iOS phone does. )

Last edited:
If somebody is confused about what we are talking about, as this is quite technical, see
iMessage: Use Phone Number Instead Of Email Address

And as this webpage perfectly states, you have to CHANGE what is the default setting of iphone if you want to be able to answer an incoming imessage in your tesla.

The car seems to only support "send and receive : phone number" and nothing more complex than that, especialy it will NOT handle "receive email & phone".

Anyway, hope this helps someone. If we had a way to report bugs to tesla this would have been solved a year ago.

As a quickfix, what the car should do is simply look up in the contacts the "email" it has been receiving, and send the answer back to to phone number associated to the same contact. (Just like a iOS phone does. )
I have had this issue for a long time.....went in to my iPhone setting and made the recommended changes.....will yes out later today and see if it works for my iPhone 6 Plus

Reactions: BelgoTes