Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Text Message Replies don’t work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had this issue for a long time.....went in to my iPhone setting and made the recommended changes.....will yes out later today and see if it works for my iPhone 6 Plus

Thanks to BelgoTes on the great find on this. I can confirm that for anyone having this issue the fix is to check the settings he details above under settings -> messages -> send and receive. For me the fix was to ensure that neither sending OR receiving end had the "start new conversations from" setting as an email address. For me the fix was to uncheck all except the phone number on both sender and receiver phones, quitting imessage app, test sending and replying from the car, and then re-checking the email addresses you'd like to be able to receive from again on both phones.

Reactions: Slower_driver
It's been a bit since anyone has updated on this thread. I am using Android and when I reply to group messages via the car the response only goes to the last sender. Is this the case for everyone else? Is there any word from Tesla that they might be working to resolve this?

Same problem still exist here.
Not exactly the thread’s topic, but can you send new messages?
This used to work with my MCU1, but since upgraded to MCU2, it does not anymore.

Could you be more specific with "can you send new messages?" ?

If I receive a message as a member of a group it will show up on my Tesla's screen. I can tap to have it read to me. I can tap to reply. But when I reply it only goes to the last participant that sent a message.

I can start a new conversation as well using voice prompts.

Reactions: David29
This is what is not working anymore well for me.
So it works for you. Mmmm wonder what is different for me. I had a ranger a few months back visit for something else. He was driving a older P85D converted as tech ranger car. That car also had had a MCU2 upgrade and he could reproduce it.

Could you be more specific with "can you send new messages?" ?

If I receive a message as a member of a group it will show up on my Tesla's screen. I can tap to have it read to me. I can tap to reply. But when I reply it only goes to the last participant that sent a message.

In my Model S, the behavior is the same, EXCEPT that I did not know there was a way to initiate a text. So, I may or may not be able to do that.
What is the voice command you use to initiate a new text message?

In my Model S, the behavior is the same, EXCEPT that I did not know there was a way to initiate a text. So, I may or may not be able to do that.

I don't do it very often but I believe it's "send a message to <person>". Now, it misinterprets the person's name more than half the time. This is because my family have wonky names.

• Helpful
Reactions: AustinP
I generally say "Text Message <Insert person's name in your address book>". It's a little cranky. WHen I tell it to text Christi, it will present me with Christina, Christi and Christine. Sometimes it just says "The Hell with it" and opens the address book. I have taken to adding specific words to people's names, like Christi Daughter. It finds "Daughter" every time. It would never find "Kaleigh", but it always finds "Lady Mary" or "Kay Lee".

It would sure be nice to be able to scroll through the address list rather than peer at the screen and try to stab at a name.

• Helpful
Reactions: David29
It's been a bit since anyone has updated on this thread. I am using Android and when I reply to group messages via the car the response only goes to the last sender. Is this the case for everyone else? Is there any word from Tesla that they might be working to resolve this?
it is documented in Tesla's instruction manual that it does not support group messaging. Basically when you respond to a group text, you are only responding to the person who sent the text. Obviously supporting group texts would be nice (and they will hopefully do so in the future), but per the manual that is not supported right now. What you are seeing happen is exactly what should be happening.

Wow. Never thought of this but that is when this problem started for me, MCU1 to MCU2!!!

Has anyone opened a ticket with Tesla on this?I have finally found the fix. If you’re having the same problem, go to the person’s message thread in Messages. Delete the thread. Create a new text thread by selecting the person’s phone number instead of iCloud email address.

TLDR: Tesla voice system can’t reply text messages to iMessage thread with e-mail as the main contact. Create a new thread with that person’s number.

Hopefully this helps someone else!
Wow. Never thought of this but that is when this problem started for me, MCU1 to MCU2!!!

Has anyone opened a ticket with Tesla on this?
I have finally found the fix. Seems to be an iPhone iMessage issue. If you’re having the same problem, go to the person’s message thread in iMessages. Delete the thread. Create a new text thread by selecting the person’s phone number instead of iCloud email address. Tesla voice system can’t reply text messages to iMessage thread with e-mail as the main contact. Create a new thread with that person’s number.

Hopefully this helps someone else!

• Helpful
Reactions: cwhite51