Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Text Message Solutions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since almost no one owns a Windows Phone, let me describe what happens. A text comes inbound. The phone, which is paired over Bluetooth tells the car to pause whatever audio is playing, then it takes over the microphone and interacts with the driver. All the voice recognition is done over the phone, I believe over its data connection in the cloud. When the driver eventually sends the completed message, which can be recorded in a bunch of parts, or the driver says ignore, or if the driver doesn't respond, the phone drops the connection back to the Tesla and the Tesla continues playing whatever media it had before, until the next text message arrives.

I doubt that this is phone specific. I think you could write an app in Windows or Linux, probably OSX as well, and have the device do that work. But then you would have to have a mobile connected device other than your phone and it would have to have access to your texts, like iMessage does, or the Windows API for responding to texts, which I think works over Android phones as well so Linux may have something similar.

Just to clarify, with a recent version of iOS, have you been able to receive incoming text notifications, and have the car read the message to you without CarPlay? I was under the impression that is not possible with iOS in the last couple of years.
I was under this same impression but the posts here helped point me in a better direction to research. This is what I found:

The standard that allows this is MAP or "Message Access Protocol" and is part of the Bluetooth specification. MAP support was added WAY back in IOS 6.

Example of Ford doing this with the Sync 3 entertainment system:
Why won’t SYNC notify me of my iPhone’s text messages?

That being said, I have not seen this in action so I don't know what exactly is missing but it does appear it's mostly up to Tesla to support. I find examples of Chrysler's uConnect and Ford's Sync supporting.

• Informative
Reactions: notAnExpert
Indeed; I have never had an iDevice. The Toyota MFD and its software simply supports the Bluetooth MAP specification, the name of which earlier eluded me. MAP has worked on earlier "dumbphones" in a 2005 Prius, up through then-current Android phones in a 2014 Pruis c without Android Auto integration.

I was under this same impression but the posts here helped point me in a better direction to research. This is what I found:
[...]
Example of Ford doing this with the Sync 3 entertainment system:
Why won’t SYNC notify me of my iPhone’s text messages?

[...]

Thank you. That was informative. I had been thinking all along that it wasn't possible. btw, after you mentioned uConnect, I googled and found this:
. That video also seems to confirm that it is possible to receive incoming notifications and have the messages read to us with just bluetooth.

Interestingly, it looks like sending out messages would need "Hey Siri", but that's fine. I do that now and sending out messages works fine that way.

I wish Tesla would prioritize offering some sort of voice based incoming text capability. They seem so stubborn in not offering CarPlay. I'd be happy to settle for this bluetooth MAP compliance.