TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Text Messages Not Working with iPhone SE

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by Skotty, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Skotty

Skotty 2014 S P85 | 2020 3 P19"

I got the 2019.40.50.1 update. I turned on all of the options in the Tesla menu for text messages, and went to the bluetooth screen on my iPhone, clicked the (i) for Tesla Model 3, and turned on notifications. However, the text messages still don't work. If I go in the Tesla menu to the phone, then messages, it shows nothing (after having wife text me a few times after the options changes).

Anyone get this to work on an iPhone SE?

2. swaltner

swaltner Active Member

I got it to work on my iPhone 6s running iOS 13.3 without any difficulty. As I recall, the iPhone 6s and the iPhone SE have the same guts. Even with Do Not Disturb While Driving active and auto-replying to an incoming iMessage, I got a notification card on the Tesla screen and was able to have it read the message aloud to me.

It sounds like you got everything set correctly. Try using the Reconnect button on the Tesla in-car display under the Bluetooth settings. If that doesn't work, the only other suggestion I have would be to try the on-screen suggestion of removing the Bluetooth connection between the car/iPhone (you should delete it from both the car and iPhone Bluetooth settings) and then repairing the device. You may need to re-establish you Phone Key if you delete the Bluetooth connectivity.

3. MarkBrokeIt

MarkBrokeIt Supporting Member

I saw another post or two in the master thread for the latest firmware from people saying their SE didn't work either.

What's not clear is if they had the latest OS on them (13.3).

4. sa012

sa012 Member

I believe the iPhone SE can't be upgraded to iOS 13. I believe the iPhone 6s is the earliest generation phone that is allowed the upgrade

• Disagree x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  5. MarkBrokeIt

MarkBrokeIt Supporting Member

I thought that was correct too. But I trusted that these wikipedia entries were correct.

iPhone SE - Wikipedia
    iPhone - Wikipedia

6. swaltner

swaltner Active Member

Apple says the iPhone SE is compatible with iOS 13 at the bottom of iOS 13.

• Helpful x 1
  7. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

13.3.1 on my SE
    From twitter “ To enable text messaging with the new update you do the following:
    On the Tesla display, go to bluetooth connected phones, next to your phone click the little ">" to pull up the bluetooth settings for that connected phone, then click RECONNECT. When it reconnects it will ask for permission to access your text messages.“
    Will try later when 3 is back home.

• Helpful x 1
  8. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

Works.
    83D4412C-FFF8-463E-B069-79871C81DD3B.jpeg DBB5637E-84AF-4051-9D4B-F8AE477A3534.jpeg

• Helpful x 1
  9. Skotty

I tried re-pairing the phone. Now I can receive messages ok. However, oddly, I can't reply to messages. I know how it should work, I think. With my wife's phone, after the message is read, you can tap on the message to reply. But on my phone, there is no tap to reply.

• Like x 1
  10. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

On the phone? The whole idea is it should hands free. Tap the car screen (not so hands free) or press the right steering wheel button (at least the hands are on the wheel) to have it read allowed and again to reply

11. Skotty

No, on the car. It will read the message to me, but I can't reply to it. Tapping on message on the Tesla screen doesn't work like it does with wife's phone (in fact, unless we remember incorrectly, on wife's iPhone the message on Tesla screen actually says "tap to reply" or something like that, whereas on my iPhone it does not). Right scroll button doesn't work either.

12. RooiDuiwel

RooiDuiwel New Member

I just purchased a Tesla 3 and am using Iphone 6. this is the buggiest software I've ever seen - text messages: cannot reply - as mentioned above there is no reaction when clicking the small right wheel on the steering wheel nor is there anything that happens if you tap where it says to tap... we cannot reply to any messages!...

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  13. Kiwiadventure

Kiwiadventure Member

My XR is working and being my first day back at work today being Monday I had a few text's read out and I replied too. This would have to be the best voice update.

14. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

As mentioned earlier in the thread you need iOS 13 for it to work right.

And your phone is too old to run iOS 13. 6S is the oldest that it supports.

15. RooiDuiwel

RooiDuiwel New Member

thanks Knightshade, ...

so you are saying that just because of my phone it is not working... strange why the Tesla side does not react. we will try it with my daughters IPhone 7 which is on the latest ios and revert here.

16. Knightshade

I'm saying it because it's been mentioned both earlier in this thread, and by others in a few other threads, that this feature needs iOS 13.x to work correctly, and I know the 6 doesn't support 13.x

I can't say if those folks are correct or not (mine was already on 13 when I first used the update) but you should be able to find out yourself when you try your daughters phone... (it also requires setting changes on both the car and phone side- I believe the car release notes detail those)

17. Skotty

I'll get a newer phone with newer OS when they bring back a smaller screen and a headphone jack.

18. Marmac

Marmac Member

How did you get iOS 13.3 on your 6s? I have a 6s and didn’t think we could get any more major updates.

19. Knightshade

6s supports 13

20. DCGoD

DCGoD Software Engineer

#20 DCGoD, Feb 15, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    I’m on the latest iOS 13.3.1 with an 11 Pro Max and reply doesn’t work for me either. Does it work for anyone? After more testing, I can reply to myself but I can’t reply to other iMessage messages. This tells me perhaps this is a big filed under “cannot send to group text messages” even though it’s not a group. Tried forgetting and repairing and all that.