Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Text messaging Model S 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm happy this works as well as it does, it is nice to see the message on the instrument cluster rather than having to look at the MCU so they've made the right decision there.

One thing I did have to do to make it work was unpair my phone from the car then repair with the allow text option for the BT connection on my phone, for some reason I couldn't just enable that and have it work (Android).
As for the voice response option, yeah well what can we say :rolleyes:

I tested this yesterday and the car failed to receive the text message sent to me. I am guessing i need to do something on my phone (a Pixel 2 running Android) but did not find any related setting.

Since I posted that, I have successfully received and replied to 2 or 3 text messages. The car popped up a message asking for permission to link the phone to the car -- I think the message was initiated by the phone.
I also had to realize that the voice method has changed -- now you just click once and do not hold down the voice command button as has always been the case before now. (I read that on this thread or some other related thread.) And apparently you do not need to push the button to end the text, it either times out or stops recording when you pause long enough.
I was interested to note how the car handled an MMS message I got. The release notes indicate something to the effect that you can't reply to MMS messages, not sure of the exact wording. In fact, I could reply to a message that was in an MMS thread, but the reply went only to the one person whose message I was replying to, not to everyone on the thread. So on my phone, the message i sent shows up in a separate thread just to that one person.

Since the update, the receiving of text messages has worked every time. Replying to messages has been hit or miss for me. Frequently it just sits there with "listening......." displayed and "retry" lit. Has anyone had a lot of success replying to text messages ?

The new function works pretty well however I havn't figured out how to stop the car from reading a text message after it has started reading it. My wife sends me calendar invites via MMS and so the car starts reading the text message with all of the coding behind the message. Very annoying!

The new function works pretty well however I havn't figured out how to stop the car from reading a text message after it has started reading it. My wife sends me calendar invites via MMS and so the car starts reading the text message with all of the coding behind the message. Very annoying!
Haha-- I know what you mean. My daughter texted me a long link and it was almost funny hearing the car read every letter.

Reactions: Nick B
Mine works hit and miss with sometimes long embarrassing delay before recognizing speech. (I know it’s done on the server side) but I’m referring to the delay in just getting the speech up and even recognized) feels like I’m using an original iPhone With the latest version of IOS.

Love my car but makes me sad I have the same processor in my 2017 S that the 2012 S had.
Tech moves just WAY too fast to let that happen.

Wish list

Please add " repeat message" .
View
Repeat
On Model S I would think it is the volume control that can be accessed in the settings for Navigation. I noticed my Slacker music didn’t mute when reading a text so it must be the same speaker used for navigating. (On Model 3 I think there is only one speaker so obviously only one volume control.)

As for stopping the reading in the middle, I don’t think that’s possible...yet.

Needs a "repeat message" option.
View
Repeat
Dismiss

Reactions: AustinP