Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Text Messaging using Google Hangouts/Google Voice (Android)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I use Google Voice with Hangouts being my main messaging app because the default Android app uses my phones actual phone number, not my Google Voice number which is my primary number). Does anybody know how to tell either my phone or the Tesla to use Hangouts/Google Voice for my txt messages and not Google Messages?

Sorry for the long run-on sentence/confusing message!

Thanks in advance.

Patrick

Does what you're trying to achieve work outside of the car? For instance, if you say "Hey Google, text Bob Cratchit Merry Christmas" does it launch hangouts and send the message?

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure if it's possible for the car to do it.

Open Hangout app, tap the 3 lines on top left, tap Settings, tap SMS under General settings, tap SMS disabled, select Hangout app and enable it to be the default for SMS.

Just so you know, once you switch from Android Messenger to Hangout, you will lose the new RCS capability. But since you don't normally use Android Messenger anyway, you would not notice it.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Hi, I use Google Voice with Hangouts being my main messaging app because the default Android app uses my phones actual phone number, not my Google Voice number which is my primary number). Does anybody know how to tell either my phone or the Tesla to use Hangouts/Google Voice for my txt messages and not Google Messages?

Sorry for the long run-on sentence/confusing message!

Thanks in advance.

Patrick

The cars new text messaging feature uses the native messaging app for the OS. So, currently not possible with the new text messaging feature, if thats what you are talking about.

EDIT: I should have not replied as I dont use my android phone much... apparently you can set hangouts to be the native messaging app, so will retract what I said (but leave it here because I posted it in the first place).

The cars new text messaging feature uses the native messaging app for the OS. So, currently not possible with the new text messaging feature, if thats what you are talking about.

EDIT: I should have not replied as I dont use my android phone much... apparently you can set hangouts to be the native messaging app, so will retract what I said (but leave it here because I posted it in the first place).

Now that you mention it... it is possible that OP can't do it. I can set Hangout as default SMS I think because my carrier is Google Fi. I think you may not be able to do this if main line is with other carriers.

Does what you're trying to achieve work outside of the car? For instance, if you say "Hey Google, text Bob Cratchit Merry Christmas" does it launch hangouts and send the message?

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure if it's possible for the car to do it.

You are right, when I do that from the phone it pulls up Messages, not Hangouts. So I need to find a way to set the default messaging app to Hangouts, which isn't one of the options listed in default messaging apps.

Thanks!

You are right, when I do that from the phone it pulls up Messages, not Hangouts. So I need to find a way to set the default messaging app to Hangouts, which isn't one of the options listed in default messaging apps.

Thanks!
Sucks :\

Same on my Pixel 3a -- under Settings > Apps > Default Apps > Messages, I only have Messages, my SMS backup app and Signal as options.

Sucks :\

Same on my Pixel 3a -- under Settings > Apps > Default Apps > Messages, I only have Messages, my SMS backup app and Signal as options.

I am pretty sure Google took away the ability of setting Hangout as SMS app a few years back. I was with AT&T and was using it as default app and then it gave me the message saying that I can't do that anymore. After I switched to Project Fi (now Google Fi), I was able to do it again.

Now if you just want Tesla to read your incoming messages, there maybe a way to do it. In Google Voice setting, you could forward your messages to your regular phone line. So those messages will go to your default sms app on the phone and will probably be read out by Tesla. But if you reply to those sms (forwarded ones), it may or may not go thru. And you cannot sent message on Tesla using Google Voice number.. have to sent via regular phone number.

Last edited:
Reactions: preilly44
Just want to report back that Hangout doesn't seem to work well with Tesla message. I could use voice to send but it won't show up in the car or in Hangout app. The SMS did get to the other person just not showing. And other people could send sms to me, but it won't show up in the car's screen. It did not get read out. I can only see it on my phone.

My friend who has a Samsung S9 using default sms app works for him.

Reactions: preilly44
It seems I can't use this sms reading thing.
Each time I tried the option it ask for reconnect and then go back to the option screen with the toggle "off".
All notifications on my phone are "on" for the messaging app, as are all the options I see for my Bluetooth.

What should I test ?

Each time I tried the option it ask for reconnect and then go back to the option screen with the toggle "off".
All notifications on my phone are "on" for the messaging app, as are all the options I see for my Bluetooth.

What should I test ?
Post your number and I'll hit you up ;)

Do you see the "messages" tab under the Call menu?

What should I test ?

Do you see the option Message under your phone's Bluetooth settings -> Model ? Setting? If not, you have to forget your car's BT connection and start it again. That's what I have to do to get it working.

Reactions: p1l0t3
Do you see the option Message under your phone's Bluetooth settings -> Model ? Setting? If not, you have to forget your car's BT connection and start it again. That's what I have to do to get it working.

No I didn't saw that option. I had 4 other options like hd audio, contacts, etc. But no explicit "message" line.

I will try the complete forget thing. I just tried it with the car.

Thanks