Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Text Messaging using Google Hangouts/Google Voice (Android)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I use Google Voice with Hangouts being my default messaging app because the default Android app uses my phones actual phone number, not my Google Voice number (which is my primary number). Does anybody know how to tell either my phone or the Tesla to use Hangouts/Google Voice for my txt messages and not Messages (the app)?

Sorry for the long run-on sentence/confusing message!

Thanks in advance.

Patrick

Google messages is better than hangouts and can use your GV number.
But you can't simultaneously receive SMS/MMS on your PC/laptop as well as your smartphone with Google Messages. To me, that's what made Hangouts (and Talk previously) my favorite chat app. They've since removed support from their own Wear OS watches and are slowly killing it off w/o a suitable replacement. Kind of par for the course with Google these days I guess. RCS is nice for SMS but I haven't used an SMS exclusive app for about a decade now.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Yes you can. messages.google.com Native SMS/MMS support on all browsers using your phone number.

I don't think it is the same as Hangout. To use messages.google.com, I think you have to have your phone connected to internet (just like whatsapp web). Where Hangout on PC is independent of the phone app. Hangout can works on data alone. I have a tablet with only WiFi connection and I could use Hangout on it by itself without a carrier.

This is probably why Google is trying to get rid of it.. as it needs to use a server on their end.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I don't think it is the same as Hangout. To use messages.google.com, I think you have to have your phone connected to internet (just like whatsapp web). Where Hangout on PC is independent of the phone app. Hangout can works on data alone. I have a tablet with only WiFi connection and I could use Hangout on it by itself without a carrier.

This is probably why Google is trying to get rid of it.. as it needs to use a server on their end.

And? I was just replying to the fact that someone says you can't simultaneously use SMS on your PC and phone. Yes it uses your phone as the relay but why is that a big deal? Who's phone isn't connected to the web 24/7 these days?
A few years ago I was able to use Google Fi in combination with Google Voice to do Handouts SMS but I have TMobile now. SMS doesn't work on my TMo number anymore. Just my GV number.

And? I was just replying to the fact that someone says you can't simultaneously use SMS on your PC and phone. Yes it uses your phone as the relay but why is that a big deal? Who's phone isn't connected to the web 24/7 these days?
A few years ago I was able to use Google Fi in combination with Google Voice to do Handouts SMS but I have TMobile now. SMS doesn't work on my TMo number anymore. Just my GV number.

It's not a big deal unless you are on a cruise. :p I started using Hangout because you can't get cell signal on a cruise but I can get internet data package. Some of my bill paid uses 2 factor authentication and I need the code to pay the bills. That's just how I started using it. But in this case, I think Android Message will work too. I don't know if it is because I am on Google Fi or they have improved Messenger, but I could now send SMS on data alone... with Mobile LTE turned off.

Anyway, I posted it on another thread, but Hangout does not work with Tesla software even if you have it as default SMS. I had it (because I am on Google Fi) and I cannot get any messages coming in. I just switched default to Android Messenger and it is working now.

Last edited:
Anyway, I posted it on another thread, but Hangout does not work with Tesla software even if you have it as default SMS. I had it (because I am on Google Fi) and I cannot get any messages coming in. I just switched default to Android Messenger and it is working now.
The more I read about this voice to text the more I want to trade in my car. MCU1 causing me some serious FOMO. It's ok though; Elon says I'll be able to upgrade my MCU and get FSD soon! Like a couple months from now! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't know. i have mcu1
I feel your pain bro! "MCU1 fo lyfe!"