TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Text Messaging - Volume Adjustment

Discussion in 'Model X' started by re04586, Feb 1, 2020.

1. re04586

re04586 Member

Does anyone know how to adjust the volume of the text messaging read back with the new update?

It blasts loud in my X and I can’t figure out a way to make it softer.

2. DCGOO

DCGOO Active Member

Try adjusting the thumb wheel while it is actually talking.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. puhiniho

puhiniho Member

I agree that the voice is quite loud. I tried turning the thumb wheel with no effect.

Although I'm rather happy that Tesla finally brought text messages to us. I'm also hoping Tesla will take suggestions and listen. My thoughts, having volume with more increments and make it softer, just play messages on the driver side, toggle to read only first names, and maybe recognize emojis and read (or display) them.

4. SDRick

SDRick Active Member

Long shot, try adjusting the turn by turn volume in the nav section?

5. kennybroh

kennybroh Member

That doesn't work. I have nav audio turned off and messages still blast. I would really like to turn it off entirely. Other passengers don 't need to hear my messages.

• Like x 1
  6. powaking

powaking Member

Would be nice if there was a feature where it wouldn't read the message out loud, rather just display the text as it does.

• Like x 1
  7. SDRick

SDRick Active Member

Another long shot.
    I remember once not being able to control the volume on the radio. I did a two thumb reboot and all was well.

8. re04586

re04586 Member

I feel the same, i'd like to read the message, but dont need it blasting to everyone in the car.

• Like x 1
  9. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2020.48.30

Does turning on Joe Mode do anything to lower the volume?

I think the point is that you shouldn't be reading text messages. If you wanted to do that, you could just look at your phone.

• Like x 1
  10. re04586

re04586 Member

That kind of makes sense, but if so, then why are they displaying the message at all?

11. powaking

powaking Member

You still need to look down to select the option to reply, dismiss etc. it’s in view with everything else on the dash. It would at least keep your eyes closer to what’s in view ahead than down away at your phone.

• Like x 1
  12. Ever34

Ever34 Member

Or at the very least be able to stop it once it starts. Very annoying to have to listen to the whole text when you got the gist of it after the the first 5 words

• Like x 1
  13. Meccanica

Meccanica Member

Yes! I received a MIME-encoded TXT message the other day that did not display any plain txt, so the car proceeded to read the entire mime coding, ugh.

• Funny x 1
  14. ReachX

ReachX Member

I would also like to be able to adjust the volume, it seems fixed in the current version. Text-to-Voice had it read a whole long random URL in a recent message to me. No way to cancel. Hilarious. The feature is actually great overall, but small fixes are needed.

15. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

What did CustomerSupport @ tesla.com say?

16. mxnym

mxnym Member

This is exactly what I would have suggested, but I couldn't get my phone to allow messages, and I figured it must not work if someone was asking the question. My phone started allowing messages and mine are also too loud (even with Joe Mode on). The volume wheel adjusts something else even during the talking.
    I too have my nav volume off and can confirm this behavior. I'm guessing they forgot to include a volume adjustment for it and will add it in the future, probably the near future if Elon actually uses the feature.

17. Jsro

Jsro Member

Same problem here. 2015 MS. Love the feature, but PLEASE let us adjust the volume and turn off read-aloud all together.

18. jgrgnt

jgrgnt Supporting Member

Same issue here. I suspect it may be tied to either call volume or device volume. Things you can try: (don't have the car with me right now, otherwise I'd try these myself)
    1. have someone call you while you're in the car connected to bluetooth. When the call connects, lower the volume, then disconnect. Then have someone send you a text message and see if that changes the volume of the text-to-speech.
    2. change the volume on the phone itself

• Like x 2
  19. mxnym

mxnym Member

Great suggestions, however, coincidentally:
    Regarding 1, I recently adjusted the volume of a call, and when the call ended, my radio volume was different. This is new behavior, presumably of the bug variety.
    Regarding 2, my phone ring volume is always all the way down and my phone Bluetooth volume is always very low, like 1-2 clicks away from off, and my text messages are still loud.

20. Meccanica

Meccanica Member

I turned off RCS (Chat features in Google Txt Messenger) to fix it for now. Not a Tesla specific issue, My Ford Focus Electric with Android Auto also gets the MIME encoding.

• Informative x 1