Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Text Messaging - Volume Adjustment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree that the voice is quite loud. I tried turning the thumb wheel with no effect.

Although I'm rather happy that Tesla finally brought text messages to us. I'm also hoping Tesla will take suggestions and listen. My thoughts, having volume with more increments and make it softer, just play messages on the driver side, toggle to read only first names, and maybe recognize emojis and read (or display) them.

Does turning on Joe Mode do anything to lower the volume?

I think the point is that you shouldn't be reading text messages. If you wanted to do that, you could just look at your phone.

You still need to look down to select the option to reply, dismiss etc. it’s in view with everything else on the dash. It would at least keep your eyes closer to what’s in view ahead than down away at your phone.

Reactions: scottf200
I would also like to be able to adjust the volume, it seems fixed in the current version. Text-to-Voice had it read a whole long random URL in a recent message to me. No way to cancel. Hilarious. The feature is actually great overall, but small fixes are needed.

Try adjusting the thumb wheel while it is actually talking.
This is exactly what I would have suggested, but I couldn't get my phone to allow messages, and I figured it must not work if someone was asking the question. My phone started allowing messages and mine are also too loud (even with Joe Mode on). The volume wheel adjusts something else even during the talking.
That doesn't work. I have nav audio turned off and messages still blast. I would really like to turn it off entirely. Other passengers don 't need to hear my messages.
I too have my nav volume off and can confirm this behavior. I'm guessing they forgot to include a volume adjustment for it and will add it in the future, probably the near future if Elon actually uses the feature.

Same issue here. I suspect it may be tied to either call volume or device volume. Things you can try: (don't have the car with me right now, otherwise I'd try these myself)
  1. have someone call you while you're in the car connected to bluetooth. When the call connects, lower the volume, then disconnect. Then have someone send you a text message and see if that changes the volume of the text-to-speech.
  2. change the volume on the phone itself

Same issue here. I suspect it may be tied to either call volume or device volume. Things you can try: (don't have the car with me right now, otherwise I'd try these myself)
  1. have someone call you while you're in the car connected to bluetooth. When the call connects, lower the volume, then disconnect. Then have someone send you a text message and see if that changes the volume of the text-to-speech.
  2. change the volume on the phone itself
Great suggestions, however, coincidentally:
Regarding 1, I recently adjusted the volume of a call, and when the call ended, my radio volume was different. This is new behavior, presumably of the bug variety.
Regarding 2, my phone ring volume is always all the way down and my phone Bluetooth volume is always very low, like 1-2 clicks away from off, and my text messages are still loud.