Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Text notifications pulling texts from 2 years ago

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else getting odd, seemingly-random text notifications while driving only to find no message when looking at the phone? I've had on 4 occasions now where I'll be driving and a text notification comes up and I respond, only to have the other party confused. Digging in a little, I've found that messages are coming in as new from April 2018!

This has persisted through the last software update. Phone is a Samsung Note 10 Plus 5g.

Text history on my phone came across from previous devices, so history is many many years old. Model 3 is a Dual Motor, "2020" model delivered November 2019.

Super weird, and embarrassing as one of the first instances was from a client and my reply made no sense.

Known issue, try a reboot (hold both steering wheel buttons until the screen goes black). There are a few threads on this issue, my wife has this problem in her Model Y with her S10. I don't think anyone has come up with a solution but I stopped reading up on it as her issues went away for the most part.

One idea that seemed to work for awhile was deleting the phone from the car and re-adding it back in. I did this for her and rebooted her phone as well, no idea if this helped or not but good practice since that damn phone hasn't been rebooted in a few months I'm sure

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors
Anyone else getting odd, seemingly-random text notifications while driving only to find no message when looking at the phone? I've had on 4 occasions now where I'll be driving and a text notification comes up and I respond, only to have the other party confused. Digging in a little, I've found that messages are coming in as new from April 2018!

This has persisted through the last software update. Phone is a Samsung Note 10 Plus 5g.

Text history on my phone came across from previous devices, so history is many many years old. Model 3 is a Dual Motor, "2020" model delivered November 2019.

Super weird, and embarrassing as one of the first instances was from a client and my reply made no sense.
They are routing texts via the USPS. Some messages can take years to get to their destination.

I wasn't, then I got in the car for a long day starting predawn and ending late at night and over the course of that trip heard them all. At first I thought I was getting texts from old workmates and replied...then they replied...so in a way it helped me reconnect :cool:

I expect it only happens to those who've had the same phone for a long time, then being in the car long enough for the first time in one stretch. It's possible these old messages were still marked as unread as I often only read text by preview.

Sounds more like a phone OS problem than a Tesla problem. I don't know how it all works, but I would ASSUME that the phone tells the car there's a new text, the car doesn't rifle through your phone looking for new texts.

I have Android as well (older S8+) but haven't seen this particular issue.

Nope - new phone, new carrier, delete and add and they still come in periodically. Sucks. Bad bug. Anyone with a Noteo 20 Ultra finding the key/walk up unlock not working unless you hit your power button on the sid eon the phone? Also, I finally just got summon to work again after 2 months since I got this new Note 20.

Nope - new phone, new carrier, delete and add and they still come in periodically. Sucks. Bad bug. Anyone with a Noteo 20 Ultra finding the key/walk up unlock not working unless you hit your power button on the sid eon the phone? Also, I finally just got summon to work again after 2 months since I got this new Note 20.

I just got the note 20 ultra last week. No issues with using the phone as a key/walk up unlock.
I would make sure the app is not being "optimized" in battery settings. And for good measure I click allow on background data usage and allow app while data saver is on.

I was searching for the same thing and came across this thread. Happening on my MX and the same message from a couple years ago has come in several times. Usually after a reboot or deep sleep. I also have a Samsung phone, 9+. Seems most users reporting this is on a Samsung. I have had my car for 2.5 years, and this only started after my upgrade to MCU2 which I believe all M3's have.

I still think this is something Tesla should be able to fix, but in case it is an Android problem and they can do something on their end, I created a ticket. Anyone here having the issue I encourage you to star and or comment on the issue. The more attention it gets, the faster it will be looked at by Google.

Reactions: M@dHatter
I am here from the future. It is now 2037. I wanted to warn everyone this problem still persists. If you are planning on Tesla fixing this you will be disappointed. I will check back in a few years from 2050 and let you know if it is fixed then.

• Funny
Reactions: 804son
It's almost 2023 and both of my Model 3s do this on both my wife's and I's new Pixel phones. It's basically become a joke at this point. It doesn't happen with my work iPhone 🙃
i noticed that when i switched from my iphone to the new pixel, it did the same thing you're experiencing. So i switched back to my iphone and it was back to normal again. Not sure if its the pixel but yeah it really does suck