TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Textile interior: completely non-leather?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by anticitizen13.7, Sep 2, 2013.

1. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

Tesla's website (http://www.teslamotors.com/models/specs) says that the standard interior is: "Hand wrapped microfiber and synthetic leather interior surfaces in black". Does that include the steering wheel being synthetic material as well?

I have friends who are considering a Model S, but don't want any leather in the interior. This is for environmental reasons, but please lets not turn this into a debate over that. There's a thread in "Off Topic" already for those who want to debate.

I saw in some other threads, including the Animal Rights thread, that there was an option for non-leather interiors, but it wasn't 100% clear to me that this was the standard Textile seat option, and not something that required a special order.

2. matbl

matbl Member

Ouch. For me the opposite is wanted. I consider the textile interior but a non-leather steering wheel is absolutely no-no.

3. jeremyz

jeremyz Member

I was told by a store employee (who seemed to be knowledgable about the subject), that the steering wheel in the textile interior cars is still covered in leather.

4. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

They can request a "vegan" interior to drop all leather, including the steering wheel.

5. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I just went through this because I wanted to be sure my textile seat S came with a leather steering wheel.

The answer is that it is a special order you need to discuss. If you choose the textile seat option, you'll get cloth seats with synthetic leather inserts, just as it says on the website. As jeremyz mentions, though, the steering wheel remains real leather and is the same across all Model Ss.

I was told you could request synthetic leather on the wheel as well, but you need to discuss it when ordering as there's no box you can check to get it. It's a manual process.

Sadly, you're stuck with black seats/interior as your only option if you don't want leather.

6. DITB

DITB Charged.hk co-founder

How about fitting aftermarket seat covers to the black fabric, then you can choose any colour you want, more or less? Or have it tailor made (don't know how expensive that it though)

7. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

@DITB

One thing to consider if you’re thinking about “fitting aftermarket seat covers to the black fabric, /…/ Or have [some other kind of seat upholstery] tailor made”, are the side air bags in the front seats… In an accident, where they would deploy, would they still function correctly if the seats are covered by something else than the OEM seat upholstery?

8. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Good point. A lot of aftermarket seat covers have airbag cutouts for this reason.

9. DITB

DITB Charged.hk co-founder

Just found these

Tesla Model S Full Piping Seat Covers - Wet Okole Hawaii

And they have special cutouts made to fit with the air bags. Good point, though! You can also get those covers with extra lumbar support adjustment.

I'll get the fabric seats then, no need for leather.