Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Textile or leather? Black and black is my color combo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't like the look of butt marks on all the leather seats I'm seeing on the Teslas. It seems the leather is a bit loose. I plan to keep the car for a very long time. Would like to hear your thoughts especially those who have textile seats. Thanks!

I have the textile seats and like them. I'm not a fan of leather seats in general, and was a bit bummed that (back when I finalized) Tesla put heated seats together with leather. But I still got textile. ;-)

I've only had the car 9 months, so I can't say how they hold up, but...so far, so good. Part of the seat's textile and part is more like...I dunno, a faux leather? Have you seen them in person? I just want to make sure you know what you're getting into. ;-) I'd prefer all fabric, actually, but I think these are good seats.

I was surprised by how much I liked the textile in person. It's high quality fabric which looks like it will last. I don't think it looks "downmarket" at all. The lack of heated seats doesn't matter to me. I never use them. The textile will also keep you from sliding around during aggressive driving. The only downside I can imagine is that they will be harder to clean should you (heaven forbid) spill something.

I was surprised by how much I liked the textile in person. It's high quality fabric which looks like it will last. I don't think it looks "downmarket" at all. The lack of heated seats doesn't matter to me. I never use them. The textile will also keep you from sliding around during aggressive driving. The only downside I can imagine is that they will be harder to clean should you (heaven forbid) spill something.
I too really loved the textile seats. The fabric/leatherette contrast looks great. Even better than the performance leather, IMO. I think leather is hot when you want it cold, and cold when you want it hot. And with the poor bolstering, you slide around a lot. All mitigated by the textile option.

Starting in early 2103 they're also heated, so that's no longer an issue for anyone ordering now.

I ordered leather because textile was not heated.

I'm in the same boat as N4HHE. I really liked the textile seats, but I knew I wanted heated seats to help improve efficiency in the winter. The power adjustable seats and memory functions were also part of the leather upgrade at that time, IIRC.

Adden Lee, can you explain what you mean by "butt marks"? I'm starting to see some wear (wrinkling?) on my driver's seat, but only on the left-most section of leather (thigh bolster, I suppose). I've never had leather interior before, so I don't know if this is typical after 18k miles.

Adden Lee, can you explain what you mean by "butt marks"? I'm starting to see some wear (wrinkling?) on my driver's seat, but only on the left-most section of leather (thigh bolster, I suppose). I've never had leather interior before, so I don't know if this is typical after 18k miles.
That's it. A really nice leather seat will continue to look taut. After only a few thousand miles on them, many of the Model S seats look stretched-out, like there's too much leather there. That's what he was referring to.

Hmmmm I wonder if my seats are heated, I'll find out on Tuesday !
Congrats!

I have the leather seats mainly for the heated seats. I don't feel like I slide around on the seat. But I do agree the the look and feel of the leather do seem cheap and soft. I am concerned about long term use of the seat. No problems so far though.

I have the leather seats mainly for the heated seats. I don't feel like I slide around on the seat. But I do agree the the look and feel of the leather do seem cheap and soft. I am concerned about long term use of the seat. No problems so far though.
Did no one tell you the textile seats were heated? I was told they changed that way back in January. Shouldn't have been an issue for you in August.

I'm in the same boat as N4HHE. I really liked the textile seats, but I knew I wanted heated seats to help improve efficiency in the winter. The power adjustable seats and memory functions were also part of the leather upgrade at that time, IIRC.

My Mercedes-Benz has "MBtex" seats and I really like the material. Traded my F-250 at the Ford dealer for the ML320 Bluetec and had to find a vinyl cleaner to take the crap off the seats they applied during detailing. Seriously. I had seat marks on my butt. Had to change clothes. Until I got the stuff off the seats. Perhaps it would have soaked into leather and the detailer didn't know this was not leather?

Also had to clean their stuff off plastic trim panels where it soaked between panels and made them squeak.

An advantage of textile seats is that presumably the material is less expensive and if worst come to worst one might replace the covering outright rather than clean. I found out the hard way in 2000 that the Southeast Toyota Distributor bought aftermarket leather would reskin factory textile seats to raise the price of the car. I will never buy another Toyota from an SET dealer, AL, GA, FL, maybe more, but not TN.

- - - Updated - - -

I did not know this. I read somewhere on the forums that the heated seats only came with leather. I must have read an old thread and did not read any more about it. Oops

I think I read it on the order page when placing my order. On test drive my sales consultant said textile had 8-way adjust while leather was 10-way. But when ordering I read "heated" and that dictated my choice. Lack of memory settings would also dictate my choice.

I really would rather not have leather which looks like vinyl. I want leather to look like leather. To look like a saddle or baseball glove. See Ford King Ranch Edition for example of how to do leather right.

"Memory seats, mirrors, and driver profile" is now a feature of the Tech Package. I think it was originally standard, but possibly part of the leather upgrade, and then it became part of the Tech Package sometime around August.

Seat memory/driver profiles were part of leather, but moved to tech.

Mirror-tilt-on-reverse (not sure if that's what you mean by "mirrors") was originally in tech (and leather? not sure) and still is. It works in my pre-price-increase tech pkg/textile seat car.

I have a 2013 pre-price-increase Model S, so my seats are unheated textile (and whatever the original was--6-way? 8-way?).

Mirror-tilt-on-reverse (not sure if that's what you mean by "mirrors") was originally in tech (and leather? not sure) and still is. It works in my pre-price-increase tech pkg/textile seat car.

Now that you mention it, I don't know what is meant in that quote by mirrors. I just copied it from the list of Tech Package features from the current website. I assume it's referring to the memory capability. My 2012 (w/Leather, w/o Tech) has both the memory and auto-tilt for mirrors.