Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Textile or leather?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I chose textile mainly for price reasons (the S85 was a stretch anyway) and would easily do the same again. The textile is much better than in the average car. Having had 3 BMW's with leather before the MS, I was a little bit worrie until I got the car.
Also, I think the leather seats are really nice, but the leather is kind of a "too good" quality so while it has a very nice look and feel, I'd say it doesn't match well with kids or dogs and would require some maintenance to remain good.

I have leather seats and have driven a couple of loaners with textile.

I think the textile is quite nice and the selection is one that should be based on what you like. I personally do not understand the two comments I hear about textile versus leather.

First, I don't find the leather slippery at all and have never understood the comments from those that say leather is more slippery. Unless you are putting on some kind of leather treatment (which is probably a mistake anyhow) I find no difference in traction between the two. Second, I don't understand what the issue is regarding temperature difference. I did not find any difference between textile and leather.

There may be some kids and dogs preferences, but dog owners (per the dogs thread) are often putting dogs in back and using covers for the trunk area or seats anyway. A lot of leather seats shown there.

First, I don't find the leather slippery at all and have never understood the comments from those that say leather is more slippery. Unless you are putting on some kind of leather treatment (which is probably a mistake anyhow) I find no difference in traction between the two. Second, I don't understand what the issue is regarding temperature difference. I did not find any difference between textile and leather.

That's why they make multiple kinds of seats: people have different opinions.

I think if you have two surfaces, one smooth, and the other coarse and textured, you're less likely to move around on the latter. The friction on smooth surfaces is less. This can be (and usually is) overcome with substantial bolstering on leather seats, which the current seats lack. When I was at Laguna I rode in a P85 with leather, and as a passenger in my own car. I definitely slid around more in the leather seats. It's not just an "in your head" thing, either. Check out the seats on any serious performance car and you're not going to see much leather (unless it's suede) on the friction surfaces. Even more "pedestrian" sports cars like the Panamera and 911 default to alcantara when you upgrade from the base seats.

More than the above, the fact that leather seats don't breathe very well is huge. I'd love to trade you, I dunno, sweat glands or something but if I spent any amount of time in them I would get out of my leather-equipped cars with a sweaty back even if I was comfortable with the overall temperature in the vehicle.

Which is not to say leather doesn't have some distinct advantages: it's easy to clean, and often feels nicer to the touch (depending on the leather quality). Try 'em both out and get the one you like.

Reactions: DIL
Can you textile seat owners also read tea leaves? When do you suppose we will have additional color options for textile interior (seats, maybe matching ceiling?) and P85D seats in S85D?

With the Charlotte SC now permitted, I'm inching towards time to buy..........only 5 or 6 "must have, but not yet available" details left on the list. Paramount is excellent seats as my wife and I are 57 and starting to get back tweaks. Her main concern seems to be the seats (maybe she is resigned to it otherwise?). :biggrin:

Anyone have a Pearl White with black textile seats and pano? Would you recommend standard ceiling or black? I would like to see Tesla offer 3 color options, at least, like Mercedes B offers.

No matter what your trim colour, the roof lining always looks better in black IMO.

Just had a loaner with textile seats for a day while my Tesla was in the shop. I found them to be decent but like the feel of the leather. The textile also felt hotter in the Phoenix heat but that could be black vs tan. If you wanted to save money or if leather offends you they would be fine.

Just received my S85 yesterday with the textile seats. I really like the texture, it's nice and grippy and doesn't feel cheap. I would say the lack of side bolstering in the standard seats is compensated somewhat by the higher friction seating surface. I only wish they had the handy front pockets you get with the leather seats.

Just drove a brand fresh loaner with leather which seemed to work in the cool weather just like my textile seats have done since day one. But then I noticed the Heated Seat icon so turned it ON. Wow. Don't know why my textiles did not come with a heater, maybe they do nowadays. Anyway it should be standard equipment!!
--