Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Textile or leather?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could have ordered Textile or Leather, and I chose the Textile, after sitting in and driving both.

The leather was too slippery and with the NON supportive Tesla seats, it was worse than most performance cars.
I also like the seats not to go to temperature extremes in the winter and summer.
Yes, I have Tint and the ability to cool down the cabin, but trust me, having my Tesla through the summer AND also having a leather seated car, I prefer the textile.

Having said that, my leather seats in my Genesis are FAR more comfortable, but that's because it's a better leather and seat.
I doubt the resell will be affected if people know what they're getting from each.

FYI: People think the solid parts are leather, but without the problems that come with leather.

Textile seats FOR LIFE!

Bought them. Have no regrets. They are even better (quality fabrics) than my previously spectacular GTI textile seats which still looked great after 7years and 125k miles of seat time.

Still 40k miles, and 1.5 years in and my Model S textile seats look like new.

Can you textile seat owners also read tea leaves? When do you suppose we will have additional color options for textile interior (seats, maybe matching ceiling?) and P85D seats in S85D?

With the Charlotte SC now permitted, I'm inching towards time to buy..........only 5 or 6 "must have, but not yet available" details left on the list. Paramount is excellent seats as my wife and I are 57 and starting to get back tweaks. Her main concern seems to be the seats (maybe she is resigned to it otherwise?). :biggrin:

Anyone have a Pearl White with black textile seats and pano? Would you recommend standard ceiling or black? I would like to see Tesla offer 3 color options, at least, like Mercedes B offers.

Last edited:
Can you textile seat owners also read tea leaves? When do you suppose we will have additional color options for textile interior (seats, maybe matching ceiling?) and P85D seats in S85D?

With the Charlotte SC now permitted, I'm inching towards time to buy..........only 5 or 6 "must have, but not yet available" details left on the list. Paramount is excellent seats as my wife and I are 57 and starting to get back tweaks. Her main concern seems to be the seats (maybe she is resigned to it otherwise?). :biggrin:

Anyone have a Pearl White with black textile seats and pano? Would you recommend standard ceiling or black?

I suspect the demand is such that we'll continue to have a single color choice for the textile seats. Hopefully the P85D seats eventually offer a textile option, and filter down to the lesser models. We saw something similar with the Performance leather seats originally, so I'd guess it's just a matter of time.

The resale argument is tough. Certainly leather is more popular, but it is pretty crazy to assert a car with textile seats has no resale value. In my last luxury car, similarly priced to the Model S, had that vehicle's relatively-rare textile (alcantara) option for the seats. When I put it up for sale, I had a guy come the next morning from 2 states away specifically because it had this uncommon option.

If the textile seats were crappy it'd be one thing, but the material is nicer than the leather, IMO. The faux leather inserts are lamentable, but they do provide a nice overall visual appeal. I'd have preferred leather inserts (or a full textile seat), but I understand the no-cruelty nod they took with the inserts on the textile option. If I ordered another Model S, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the textile seats again.

Does anyone have Textile and dogs - was wondering how well dog fur releases from the textile seats--I am thinking of textile for the MX, have leather in the MS.

O

I do, but my dog stays in the trunk and I keep a towel over the rear seats to protect against his drool and minimize the fur on the back of the seats. Its definitely easier to clean leather but you should be able to get the textile clean with a bit of vacuuming (assuming the dog itself was clean).

Happy with textile, and I think it looks nice. If you haven't seen it, it's much better quality than your typical Ford Taurus, etc. cloth.

My dog usually stays in the back, but she always works her way up to the driver seat while supercharging. Dog hair is holy hell to get out of the carpet in the back but vacuums off the seats pretty easily.

Does anyone have Textile and dogs - was wondering how well dog fur releases from the textile seats--I am thinking of textile for the MX, have leather in the MS.

O

I have two dogs. Both are large and have lots of hair that makes its way into the car. The seats clean so easily. A quick vacuum and there are only a handful of hairs left to pick out by hand. The carpets on the other hand. I just have a grey trunk (white dog, and black carpet) most of the time. Vacuuming doesn't seem to do anything other than orient some of the hair in the same direction.

Very easy to clean. Unlike most fabric car seats, these don't have a ton of little fibers sticking out to allow the dog hair to cling to. I had to keep a lint roller in my alcantara vehicle to get rid of the hair, but just brush it off with my hand (and vacuum the floor) or vacuum the seats directly if it can wait in the S. And I use a Li-Ion underpowered vacuum, so it must be pretty easy.