Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Textile seat vs Tan Leather seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this topic been discussed much before. I have placed my order with Textile seat, I have until April 2 to make any changes. Still undecided if I should go with the Leather seat. I plan to keep the car between 5-8 yrs, my worry with the leather seat is the wear and tear of the leather through time. I assume Textile material is more durable over time.

My car is a basic S 60 car with 0 option.

Thanks in advance of your input.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
Thanks guys, seems consensus are recommending the Textile seats. Is Tesla's leather seats that poor, just wondering. Some side of me feels that for car this much, it should have leather seats. I think I am staying with the textile seats.
That's been keeping me up at night as well, lol. Did I really just order a $90k car with cloth seats?!?!

I also went with a 60 with textile seats. Just before my week was up I almost switched to leather. However after reading several forums about the relative non-high -end quality of the leather (not entirely sure if that's true), with exception to possibly white, which I understand is the best quality of all the leather options, I decided to stay with the base seating material. I believe in what others have mentioned, in that it will last longer and wear better, which is key since I too plan on keeping the car for the better part of the next 10 years. After driving it for the past few days, I have to say that I do like the textile seating. I can always have aftermarket leather installed down the road if I choose. Textile is quite good in my option.

• Informative
we just picked up our 2017 M60 a couple of weeks ago. went with textile seats. i think they're awesome. it's not really fabric, but more of a synthetic weave with a leatherette contrasting trim around the high wear areas like the edges of the seat and headrest. look, leather is great too but for us, with a child and frequent trips to the beach, etc., the textile seats so far feel really good. no regrets

Another vote for the textile seats, don't consider it as not an upgrade to your car, they're really good. You do have the leather 'look' with the smaller leatherette parts. When I tell people in my are I don't have leather, they look surprised because they think it actually is.

I have 125k km (70k miles?) on them with virtually zero wear. Only thing I'd change in my own car is uypgrading to the new premium ones, as they look amazing and should offer better support, but I'm guessing yours has them. Too bad it costs so much to upgrade, I've seen numbers of 6k floating around to change seats? Madness.

I have textile seats in mine and love them (coming from black leather for 10+ years in my old car). I currently have a loaner with tan leather and I can't wait to give it back. I really dislike tan leather looks wise, but that's just my personal preference. The loaner I have has 38k miles and you can definitely see a lot of wear and cracking especially on the driver's seat... granted a loaner is likely way more abused than a private car. I don't think the new cars have it, but my loaner has suede accent pieces which just look really weird and almost makes the seat look dirty.

When I get my Model 3, I'll either stick with textile or go for the vegan ultra white seats.

Mine was the first car off the line (S60, built January 2017) with the Premium textile seats... those seats were offered shortly after my car went into production. A couple emails to Elon (at his personal email) and his VP of Production and VP of sales and...voila -- car was taken off the production line with a promise of being first to get those seats.

WE LOVE THEM. Posted photos on another thread here:New Multi-Pattern seats?

They're comfortable, cool in heat and warm in the cold, heat up quickly with seat heaters, have great bolstering, and are indestructible despite a baby, HUGE heavy car seat, and a lot of abuse. In 1 year, leather seats will be worn out, stretched thin, and have to be redone. With these seats, however, they'll last a LONG time! @skitch23, completely agree with you!

Delivered March 10th. S 75 Heading back to service this week. Terrible creases in Tan Leather drivers seat, and starting to loosen on passenger side.

Attachments

• Tesla Seat.jpg
    Tesla Seat.jpg
    989.3 KB · Views: 330
Definitely Textile. We have black leather seats in both our Model S90Ds, and I'm sorry. Even in this winter month I feel like I'm sitting in a plastic bag in my wife's car, and no amount of a/c changes that. In my car I have a $35 air-cooling seat cushion so that I don't have to sit on the leather. The bare leather feels great when I first sit on it, then in a couple minutes it is like sitting on plastic.

I'm very sorry I chose leather instead of the textile option. A few weeks ago I turned down my Model 3 configuration, because it would have come with leather seats. I'll wait for the textile option next month or whenever.

At the Atascadero SC we talked to a woman with a Model S that had textile black seats. I was amazed at how great they looked, and even more depressed that I paid more for something I hate.

My wife however does love the leather. But she has the seat heater on 3 all the time, when I have a/c blowing on me. Her hands and feet are cold when I am too warm.