TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Textile seats - Scotchgard ??

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by eco5280, Feb 8, 2015.

1. eco5280

eco5280 Member

I've got little kids, and a car arriving shortly with the Textile interior. I'm definitely putting Car Seat Protectors under their car seats, but I'm still concerned about them smushing food or other crap into the weave of the fabric.

Would a Scotchgard spray be a good idea for this fabric? Has anyone applied it?

The other idea I had was to use a whole seat cover like Wet Okole or something similar under they're old enough to be trusted (so 20-30 years from now)

2. Electric700

Electric700 Member

I think Scotchgard is a good idea, but you might want to check first with the service department of your nearest Tesla service center before using that.

3. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Can Scotchgard be sprayed on the plasticy-leather-like inserts present in various parts of the seats? If not you're going to have a fun time masking all of those off.

Spilled water beads up already on mine. You might not even need it. Scotchgard isn't going to help much with smooshed food, it's mainly a water and stain repellent.

4. muleferg

muleferg Member

I spilled a bottle drink on mine once. It did not soak into the fabric. I ran got a cup and dipped it up, then got a wet towel and soaked the rest up. I cannot see any stain or notice anything now. They look like new still. I am glad I purchased the textile.

5. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

I had mine scotch guarded. They had to tape up the pleather parts and just get the fabric. Had everything including the jump seats done. I've so far in 15 months never spilled anything but it's nice knowing that they're protected. I was told that it would repel stains but I don't think smooshed food would actually count.

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I wouldn't bother with Scotch Guard. The best solution would be to get Wet Okole seat covers. They have some made for the Model S.

7. jgsuperstar29

jgsuperstar29 Member

Another thing you might consider is Opti-Guard (it's made by the same people who make Opti-Coat for the exterior):

Opti-Guard Fabric & Leather Coating

I got my interior opti-guarded at my detailer - however I've only had my car for a month and it's hard to tell how effective it is as my kids haven't had any major spills (yet...now knocking on wood), but I've heard it's pretty effective.

• Informative x 1
  8. Glitch

Glitch Member

I wouldn't bother using the scothgard. Although it is great stuff the issue is that if you sit on it with jeans often the protecting vanish after a few week unless you repeat it.

9. eco5280

eco5280 Member

Upon reflection I think I'm going to put one of these type things under the carseats.

canine-covers-durable-polycotton-semi-custom-seat-protector-black.jpg

10. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

Think that's it.......who cares what it looks like if you have kid seats strapped in, protection is the key.....and easily removeable if you have 4 adults traveling.

11. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

I got these for my car. Easily installs. They also double nicely for when I come home from the gym -- I just sit on one in the driver's seat.

12. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

We used to have one of these, then my wife got scared that it reduces the effectiveness of the seat since there's now a slippery layer underneath :/

13. eco5280

eco5280 Member

To each his or her own, but I'm not relying on the friction of the seat material to keep my kids' seats in place - I'm trusting the metal anchors they clip into that are ostensibly attached to the vehicle's frame.

• Like x 1
  14. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I hope you're not counting on friction with the seat to prevent a carseat from moving in an accident! :scared: :wink:

You could always go with something a big more "sticky," though you lose the all-over protection of the giant one eco posted.
    Amazon.com: Prince Lionheart 2 Stage Seatsaver, Black: Baby

15. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Of course not, but you don't know a paranoid mom until you've lived with one. If the liner is able to shift, then the seat is able to shift, and that just rubbed her the wrong way.

16. eco5280

eco5280 Member

You don't have to explain - I've got a wife. That's all you need to say : I've got a wife. :-D

17. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

Good idea, current car has some hard to remove dirt and sunscreen stains in the leather.