TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Textile Seats?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by radelman601, Apr 2, 2016.

1. radelman601

radelman601 Member

Hello.

I know there have been many threads about Textile Seats vs the Leather Seats so in that vein, my apologies for starting another one but most of the threads are from 2014. I am really stuck between Textile or Leather. My problem is that Tesla cannot find any textile seat equipped vehicles ANYWHERE in Texas for me to try.

I would really appreciate more recent feedback of impressions of the textile seats in comparison to the next generation leather seats.

Thanks!

2. Brunel

Brunel Member

I love my textile seats. Had a loaner yesterday that had leather seats and they were too cold, the seat heater took too long to warm up (they can get too hot almost immediately in textile) and later on I was too hot and sweaty. Just my opinion!

3. Brunel

Brunel Member

Next gen does hug a lot better though!

4. Beryl

Beryl Member

Agree with the above. I couldn't find a loaner with textile either but after getting textile and driving 6 different Teslas with next gen, I'm pleased with my choice. It feels more like leather than cloth -- durable and easy to keep clean.

5. TLej

TLej Little-Known Member

Purchased my S without having seen or sat in one in person. Got the black textile seats, very happy with them. I have no basis for comparison to the NextGen leather however, for what it's worth.

6. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Just took delivery of a 2016 with textile. I had them on the 2014 as well. No regrets, they are comfortable, easy to keep clean, and the best part is they wear really well.

7. mikevbf

mikevbf Member

Before ordering textile seats on my Model X, I looked up as much as I could on peoples experience with them on the Model S threads. I did not find a single person who regretted getting them and many thought they were better than leather.

8. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

I have textile seats, and I test-drove the nextgen leather seats a couple of times. The textile seats are fine for me, and I prefer the feel to leather. I also suspect textile will be more durable than leather: I've noticed quite a bit of wear on the seats in videos of older TMS. But I felt more cradled or cocooned in the nextgen seats. One older post here described nextgen as sitting in the seat, vs sitting on the older seats.

9. jsm

jsm Member

I have Textile seats in my 2015 S and am really happy with them. I have no regrets.

10. MileHighMotoring

I love my Textile seats, and highly recommend them.

11. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

My wife really likes leather (mostly for appearance) so that's what we have in her car; but most of our cars in the past have been cloth and I still miss that - cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter, usually (though not always) hides stains better, less likely to fade or get wrinkly or cracked over time.

I've not taken a long drive in a car with textile seat, but I have spent a little time sitting in a few of them and I really like them. If I was to order a Model S for myself I'd get textile.

12. ABCCBA

ABCCBA Member

My MS has the fabric seats. I was a little concerned when I was looking to buy it. However, during my 1259 mile drive home, I found them very comfortable. After sitting for so !long, I did not find myself sticking to the seat like I would have on leather. With the adjustments and the lumbar support, I had no complaints.

13. bharat

bharat Member

I got the Next Gen Tan leather seats. They are extremely comfortable, and don't have a basis for comparison with textile because I haven't experienced the textile seats. A note on the wear - like with anything you own that is leather : shoes, bags etc you need to periodically maintain it and apply mink oil or other such things to keep the leather moisturized and in the best of health.

14. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

I should add that I've done a couple thousand miles in loaners that have had leather (every version including next gen) and I'm always pleased to go back to my textile.

15. Magus

Magus Member

The next gens are amazing seats and a lot of people really love them. However, the textile seats are softer vs leather. Also it is harder to enter and exit a Tesla with the Next Gen seats. Next gen I tried once- the notable points were good support, but harder to get in/out of. Both pro and con were very obvious.

I am very happy with my textile. I am so happy I have such a unique seat and material. Occasionally though the head angle feels slightly too forward for me. Usually it feels very comfortable, but notice that now and then.

16. DonD

DonD Member

After 72,000 miles the textile seats in my Model S look just as good (and are still as comfortable) as when it was new. I have driven many loaners with leather seating (original and Next Gen) and have no regrets about choosing the textile seats. Personally I believe money is better spent on other options than leather seating, but to each his (or her) own!

17. davidc18

davidc18 Member

we love ours. If I could get the next gen with textile I would. our two small boys have not found a way to damage the textile seats, unlike the leather seats in our 2011 Odyssey.

18. mikevbf

mikevbf Member

The Model X has the next gen seats in textile :D

19. davidc18

davidc18 Member

Great news. Maybe the 3 will have it as an option as well.

20. SMSMD

SMSMD Member

Model x textile are standard,...i.e not an option