Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TFL Congestion charge and a leased Tesla.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have recently taken delivery of a Model 3. The car is leased and I realise I will not receive a V5. I have tried to register the car with TFL for congestion charge exemption but they require me to upload the V5 which I do not have as it is held by the leasing company. This must affect a multitude of drivers....what do I do??

You can also ask the leasing company for a copy of the V5. My i3 is leased and the company provided a copy of the electronic V5, which TFL eventually accepted (there’s some clueless people in their admin department).

I sent a screenshot of this website with my car details as it was accepted: Get vehicle information from DVLA
that's a bit of a joke since anyone with the renumber can get that so proves nothing
TBH the whole having to register is a joke. I get it that there are some cars that are maybe grey areas based on the DVLA data and Scheme rules but any tax class 79 is exempt so why do they need to register at all?
I only visit London once a year on average. costs more to register than pay the charge last time I was there.

I have recently taken delivery of a Model 3. The car is leased and I realise I will not receive a V5. I have tried to register the car with TFL for congestion charge exemption but they require me to upload the V5 which I do not have as it is held by the leasing company. This must affect a multitude of drivers....what do I do??
As above, just ask them and they can send you a scan or something similar for "proof".

Like @Questor72, I took a screenshot of the DVLA website clearly showing the reg. number, make, model and that it is 100% electric. I paid the £10 and uploaded that evidence and it was accepted.

Lease company eventually came back to me asking why I need the V5 - despite me telling them clearing in the request. I gave up as I could see it taking several weeks and I already had the CC exemption.

I also had fun and games with Leased company trying to get a copy of the V5 (Seems to be a common theme reading the above post on this thread). In the end I gave up and went down the DVLA website screenshot route as @Questor72 states above and got it approved. The TFL CC website is a PITA to understand & navigate, its as if they have purposely made it hard for you to apply for a discount :mad:.

TFL - driving - congestion charge - discounts - cleaner vehicle discount - apply

Got a PDF of the V5C off lease co in 48hrs, registered on TFL website, paid my £10, received in a couple of days.

Just to show that it can also be easy sometimes :cool:

Reactions: KendoNagasaki