TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Thank You Elon, Tesla & the AutoPilot Team for listening

Discussion in 'Model S' started by boonedocks, Apr 25, 2016.

1. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

I started a thread a while back after one of the major F/W AutoPilot updates saying please take the added 3 minute timed "Hold Steering Wheel" nag away. After my last update and with some real world testing before posting on it I want to publicly thank the folks at Tesla. THANK YOU ELON, TESLA & the AUTO PILOT team for taking away the preset 3 minute nag.

As It works for me now, if there are no cars around at all, there is still a minimal timed nag. BUT when in some traffic as I am almost always in and Evie can see other cars around her, the timed nag IS GONE. Hip Hip HOORAY!!!!

2. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

I've not seen the old F/W, but am also liking my AutoPilot testing trys. About 10sec of hands-on is requested, maybe more if activated on a curve. Mortimer tends to tailgate a little too close for my comfort, is there a way to adjust this?

3. Maximus8

Maximus8 Member

There's a dial on the TACC stalk which you can adjust the "cushion" you want between your MS and the vehicle in front of you.

4. Caligula

Caligula Member

Related: My AP sucks a fat one ever since the Rainbow Road update. It now loses sight of markings more often and ping pongs in the lane much more frequently.

• Like x 1
  5. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

I was having the exact same problem with mine until I had driven around 100 miles with it, now it has settled down and it working like it always was.

I'm convinced that this newer version of AP that is in 2.16.17 cleared some learned calibration or other parameters and it had to re-learn them.

• Informative x 2
  6. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I think I may also have had that problem. But it seems to be gone now.

• Like x 1
  7. yo mama

yo mama Member

Yeah, my AP was a little funky after rainbow update but the car seems to have sobered up since then. And, FWIW, I find the nag goes away faster when I place my hands on the wheel and push forward. The added pressure *seems* to do something. But maybe I'm crazy. Perhaps a little of both.

• Like x 1
  8. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

Yeah you are crazy. Technically when it says to hold the wheel, your best bet is to apply light pressure one way or the other to turn the wheel. It's not detecting your hands or pushing, it's detecting movement clockwise or counter-clockwise.

9. Marcboy

Marcboy Member

I don't think it uses movement, IMHO it detects force applied to the wheel.

As in: AP has to turn, the wheel turns, if no force is detected on the wheel, either helping, or not the movement => no hands

So pushing on the wheel AND IF at the same time AP decides to turn the wheel (even a little) should be sufficient to detect hands. That would be detected as a force against the AP movement.

10. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

It's actually torque. Either in the form of resistance against it's ability to control the wheel or our slight right left of the wheel while it's try to maintain a straight line. I would think that pushing lightly against it would accomplish the same result. I'll try @yo mama's trick tomorrow and see what I find. Typically a very slight giggle is all that I need. Almost imperceptible.

• Informative x 1
  11. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

First commute this am with the latest firmware 2.17.37 and it seemed to have some of the "timed" nags back I will test again on the way home before revoking my thanks.

12. hsctiger93

hsctiger93 Member

Yeah, that's all well and good but how about retrofitting some of us older Model S guys, huh? Where's the love Elon?;)

13. davidc18

davidc18 Member

this firmware is acting a bit wonky for me. it is losing lane markings that it previously had no trouble with. It is also hunting to find the middle of the lane much more than before.

• Informative x 1
  14. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

Whew . Thank goodness the full on timed nag DID NOT reappear after the latest update. My test case which is I-985N went 12min 47seconds at 75mph with NO nag before I had to exit!!! Thank you A/P team