Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thank You Elon, Tesla & the AutoPilot Team for listening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

boonedocks

MS LR Blk/Blk 19”
May 1, 2015
Gainesville GA
I started a thread a while back after one of the major F/W AutoPilot updates saying please take the added 3 minute timed "Hold Steering Wheel" nag away. After my last update and with some real world testing before posting on it I want to publicly thank the folks at Tesla. THANK YOU ELON, TESLA & the AUTO PILOT team for taking away the preset 3 minute nag.

As It works for me now, if there are no cars around at all, there is still a minimal timed nag. BUT when in some traffic as I am almost always in and Evie can see other cars around her, the timed nag IS GONE. Hip Hip HOORAY!!!!

Related: My AP sucks a fat one ever since the Rainbow Road update. It now loses sight of markings more often and ping pongs in the lane much more frequently.

I was having the exact same problem with mine until I had driven around 100 miles with it, now it has settled down and it working like it always was.

I'm convinced that this newer version of AP that is in 2.16.17 cleared some learned calibration or other parameters and it had to re-learn them.

I think I may also have had that problem. But it seems to be gone now.
Yeah, my AP was a little funky after rainbow update but the car seems to have sobered up since then. And, FWIW, I find the nag goes away faster when I place my hands on the wheel and push forward. The added pressure *seems* to do something. But maybe I'm crazy. Perhaps a little of both.

Reactions: CHG-ON
Yeah, my AP was a little funky after rainbow update but the car seems to have sobered up since then. And, FWIW, I find the nag goes away faster when I place my hands on the wheel and push forward. The added pressure *seems* to do something. But maybe I'm crazy. Perhaps a little of both.
Yeah you are crazy. Technically when it says to hold the wheel, your best bet is to apply light pressure one way or the other to turn the wheel. It's not detecting your hands or pushing, it's detecting movement clockwise or counter-clockwise.

I don't think it uses movement, IMHO it detects force applied to the wheel.

As in: AP has to turn, the wheel turns, if no force is detected on the wheel, either helping, or not the movement => no hands

So pushing on the wheel AND IF at the same time AP decides to turn the wheel (even a little) should be sufficient to detect hands. That would be detected as a force against the AP movement.

It's actually torque. Either in the form of resistance against it's ability to control the wheel or our slight right left of the wheel while it's try to maintain a straight line. I would think that pushing lightly against it would accomplish the same result. I'll try @yo mama's trick tomorrow and see what I find. Typically a very slight giggle is all that I need. Almost imperceptible.

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele