Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thank you Jerome

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jerome Guillen

Tesla's Vice President of Service and Deliveries, Jerome Guillen, has taken a leave of absence until the end of the year. Guillen announced his leave on August 4, for reasons undisclosed as of yet. In March, Guillen was reassigned from his position as Vice President of Global Sales and Service when Tesla created new, regional sales positions. Tesla has not commented on the situation. Read more from Automotive News.

.. wonder why!?

Nobody knows. My guess is that he's transitioning out of the company, but who really knows. I would hate to see him leave Tesla. He was basically demoted from Worldwide Sales after the China fiasco and he's kept a low profile since. Tesla could have given him N America sales, but they didn't - they hired someone from Burberry. Elon was clearly unhappy on that front. Jerome is no longer part of the executive management team as he once was. I hope it is not health related. I received an OOF reply that he would be back on August 3, but on August 4 he extended his leave through the end of the year.

I hope Tesla does everything it can to keep him on board. The fact that he is being given so much latitude for his leave of absence does suggest that Tesla is in no rush to replace him or assign his duties to someone else on an interim basis. What concerns me is that there is nobody fulfilling Jerome's previous role of making things right and ensuring a good experience for owners if things go wrong.

There is already another thread on this, but I think this is a great thing for current owners. Right now I think the maintenance and service policies are the worst thing about Tesla. They are the only thing about the company that I don't love. Hopefully his replacement will be more owner friendly. It would be great to see Tesla make indy shop and DIY repairs and maintenance a real possibility. That would be a huge boon to those of us who don't want to pay the crazy service center prices for annual service or those of us who don't live near a service center.

There is already another thread on this, but I think this is a great thing for current owners. Right now I think the maintenance and service policies are the worst thing about Tesla. They are the only thing about the company that I don't love. Hopefully his replacement will be more owner friendly. It would be great to see Tesla make indy shop and DIY repairs and maintenance a real possibility. That would be a huge boon to those of us who don't want to pay the crazy service center prices for annual service or those of us who don't live near a service center.

+1! Give us manuals, give us access to parts, and give us the service tools to do things like bleed the cooling system, brakes, etc.

Little known: Jerome was instrumental in breaking up the log jam of early Model S deliveries. Word is that he held a twice daily meeting, with a spreadsheet listing every single car not-yet-delivered or delivered-with-issues, each VIN assigned to a specific employee, and reviewed morning & night with those employees demanding answers regarding progress towards resolving. Painful I'm sure for everyone involved, but also necessary to get cars to people who were frustrated. Easy to work for? Probably not :). But his integrity and commitment are top-notch and I think the world of him.

Whatever he decides to do over the next four months, I'm sure he'll do it well.

That's Atomic level micro mgmt. sometimes required to get the job done. Been there done that and appreciate that.

Tesla significantly changed his role last March -- http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...les-chief-amid-search-for-regional-executives whilst asserting "Jerome has not been demoted in any way" which is much like a formal statement by a sports franchise owner declaring his confidence in the coach.

He has exercised options for ~ $4.75 million, retaining about $700,000 worth at last report in mid-July and the board has determined he is no longer an officer of the company (meaning that if he sold his last set of options it wouldn't be reported). It seems fairly clear that he's not going to be a major part of the program going forward.

Unfortunately, I agree with this ^^.

I think you're blaming the wrong guy, and your criticism of Dr. Guillen is grossly misplaced.

I think you're blaming the wrong guy, and your criticism of Dr. Guillen is grossly misplaced.
He was the top guy in services, he is therefore responsible for all of the service decisions. I understand that he is responsive to owner emails, and seems like a nice guy but he is where the buck stops. I don't even necessarily think he's making the wrong choice for the business, as service is a great way to make money. I just think its a shortsighted outlook.

He was the top guy in services, he is therefore responsible for all of the service decisions. I understand that he is responsive to owner emails, and seems like a nice guy but he is where the buck stops. I don't even necessarily think he's making the wrong choice for the business, as service is a great way to make money. I just think its a shortsighted outlook.

No one knows for sure exactly what type of restrictions he had or did not have to complete the tasks he was assigned within the business. The only things I know are that he was the person who made sure those initial 'problem' deliveries (as bonnie alluded to) were accomplished. Then EM asked him to take over service for the growing business and when people were having door handle/windshield/tire wear issues he was the go to guy that made things happen. So, IMO, it was not that he was a 'great guy' ( I don't really know him as a person) or that he answered emails (even though hardly anyone else was answering emails at the time at HQ). He was a 'take charge' person who made sure when a customer had a problem it got resolved.

Man I wish a moderator would clean this thread up. There are plenty of places for some of the speculation above and for criticism. The title of the thread is Thank you Jerome!

So , Thanks Jerome. Never dealt with you personally but I enjoyed others stories about you and enjoyed watching you in some video's at various Tesla events. Hope all is well and you are Enjoying life.

Jerome was helpful with a post-order configuration request I made back in January. It stood out to me because my request pertained to something that was at the time merely a rumor, but as soon as he was able to talk about it he confirmed what I was asking and assured me my request would be granted. That was my first experience with Tesla service and I was markedly impressed. Thank you, Jerome.

Jerome Guillen appears to be taking a leave of absence until Dec 31, 2015 according to a recent SEC quarterly filing. I did not wish to believe this at first but everyone needs to take a breather from time to time. I do not wish to speculate the reason for this leave but am hopeful that he will be back as he has been a real asset to the TM management team. I can not speak for everyone but as to my own dealing with him I find he has provided me with service that exceeded my expectations. He answered every one of my emails promptly and professionally. I will miss him during his absence and hope to see him back January 1, 2016.

THANK YOU JEROME!
I've heard great things about Jerome. Happily he should be back around the time I get my Model X. :) As to why he's taking time off, I have no information on that, but, as much as I admire Musk and what he is doing, can you actually imagine what it's like to work or him, particularly in a senior leadership position? He probably expects the same 24/7, always working, A-type, over-achiever attitude that he himself possesses. And I would imagine that might get a bit stressful sometimes. So here's to Jerome's sabbatical and hoping he's back on the team soon.

Dropped by the soon-to-open Dublin CA location this morning at about 9:00 am, and ran into David McVey, Project Manager for Retail Development out of the PA corporate offices. We were chatting about a number of things, and happened to talk about Jerome. He reported that he saw Jerome last week locally @ TM and said that he looked much more rested and less stressed--guess he really did need a break. Glad to hear he is still around/involved at TM.

Thank you Jerome!

I had only one exchange with him, via email, about a problem I was having with my MS. Not only did he respond within 45 minutes to my email, but then the regional service manager followed up by email within an hour. Problem was solved shortly thereafter.

Bonnie described her understanding of how Jerome managed the logjam of MS deliveries with twice daily meetings, etc. Having run a number of acquisition projects within DoD, I know that such a level of detailed management is necessary on occasion. Perhaps not pleasant for the participants, but you gotta do what you gotta do. That is the sign of a good manager.

In regards to the comments about the service situation, I have found (through my limited inquiries) that it appears to be difficult to find qualified service technicians. Here in Northern Virginia, the Tyco Rd service center had only a few (less than 3, I think) permanent service technicians on site at the beginning --- others were "borrowed" from other service centers hundreds of miles away.

No matter what the future holds for Jerome, I wish him the best. To me, it seems he truly cares about Tesla customers/owners.

Man I wish a moderator would clean this thread up. There are plenty of places for some of the speculation above and for criticism. The title of the thread is Thank you Jerome!

Most of the posts you would appear to be complaining about were actually merged into this thread by a moderator from a separate thread, so I wouldn't hold my breath. I had some correspondence with Jerome during the "black hole" for the earliest P85D deliveries and found him to be helpful and professional.

Having interacted with Jerome, I can personally attest to what a HUGE asset he is to Tesla. I for one, will miss his attention to detail and his personally responding to every email I've sent. I respect him immensely! I hope he returns to Tesla. I'm sure he can use a rest!