Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thank you Tesla for making a Autopilot affordable to more people

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the old post-delivery pricing I wasn’t sure if I was ever going to buy any software for my current car, but after the changes went live I just pulled the trigger on the $2k plain Autopilot. It worked out for my needs since autopark/summon never really appealed to me (at least not enough to pay for EAP when it was available). Should make the highway driving much more enjoyable. I think I’ll hold off on FSD to see how it shakes out since the preorder process has not been kind to many folks.

Hold out on FSD, knowing Tesla, they might drop the price in the future.

They might drop the price on TACC in the future, but not by much. On Full Self Driving, I doubt it. That's a really low price, it will likely go higher after regulatory approval, maybe much higher. Only the early adopters will be locked into a price that low.

I agree with the original poster that this is good news for those who have been sitting on the fence. Low prices are good for everyone.

Life is too short to not enjoy the perks now.... technology always goes down on price.

If no one supports the new tech.. the price drops/company may not be here in a year ;) - If you can afford to and believe in the mission, support it. If you just want a cool car w/o bells, enjoy the car as a car w/o the tech.

I had EAP from date of config. So 4% more to unlock the car to it's full potential is a small price to pay.

Reactions: juanmedina
Tesla is in a difficult situation.
If they raise prices, people will complain that they are being ripped off and taken advantage of when trying to buy a clean car.
If they lower prices, people will complain that they are being ripped off because newer buyers are paying less.

Alternative is to make no changes at all...which will also doom Tesla to competition.

They they made the right decision, but still many will be unhappy.

At current prices, I believe that Tesla is making a compelling value proposition that will continue to find buyers for every car they can build (which is the whole idea).

With the old post-delivery pricing I wasn’t sure if I was ever going to buy any software for my current car, but after the changes went live I just pulled the trigger on the $2k plain Autopilot. It worked out for my needs since autopark/summon never really appealed to me (at least not enough to pay for EAP when it was available). Should make the highway driving much more enjoyable. I think I’ll hold off on FSD to see how it shakes out since the preorder process has not been kind to many folks.

AP Ordered!

Reactions: juanmedina
Part of the Tesla magic is Autopilot. I've always felt that folks getting one without AP are missing out on a huge part of Tesla's technology, and more specifically, the neural net behind it.

Other manufacturers will eventually catch up to the over-the-air update thing. And EVs will catch on over the next 5 years to the point where the acceleration/torque/power/battery is going to be pretty much standard across manufacturers. A neural net-based autonomous driving system? Little bit harder to implement.

It's been a joy to watch AP get better and better with each update. That experience may not be for everyone, particularly those who expect something like this to be flawless from the start, but even my not-techy-at-all, risk-averse wife has loved it.

The pricing went live for you? I'm still showing $3,500. Maybe if I end my EAP trial it'll show up...

On MyTesla under autopilot upgrades, it now has $2000 for AP and $3000 for FSD. I bought AP this AM, logged out and logged back in a bit later and now just shows the FSD option for $3000. This is nice since I can now decide later (not sure how long) to buy FSD.

On MyTesla under autopilot upgrades, it now has $2000 for AP and $3000 for FSD. I bought AP this AM, logged out and logged back in a bit later and now just shows the FSD option for $3000. This is nice since I can now decide later (not sure how long) to buy FSD.

Interesting. Mine doesn't show those prices yet. I just called Tesla sales and they said to give the site a day or two to update. Clearly it's already updated for some.

Is there an article that explains more about what new hardware is in the new FSD package?

People have claimed that Tesla is struggling to get FSD running on the current 2.5 hardware, and therefore Tesla will have to swap out the computer with the 3.0 hardware to run FSD. From what I’ve read it’s 10x increase in processing power and some redundancy built in. I think it’s best to wait until FSD actually starts appearing in cars to see its specs, what the software costs then, if Tesla is going to have to upgrade current owners who pre-ordered FSD, and if there are going to be additional charges for that hardware swap.