Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thankful for biodefense mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only have a measly TM3 but last year during the wildfire season Elon said that by turning on recirc and keeping the windows closed, in 5 minutes the air is as clean as on a Model S. We have been doing that and it's been great to not smell the smoke we are seeing. Of course, running errands it is confusing as to how long I have to be stopped before it automatically reverts to fresh air mode.

We have both a MS and a TM3 and the MS’s biodefense mode is better. No question and we were blown away by it in our MS in 2017 during the fires by Santa Ynez — Yellow smoke overhead and ash on the car. Great time to stay at a B&B on edge of fire edge LOL. That said, my Model 3’s filtration is still pretty good and Much much better than our previous ICE cars with recirc on while driving near wildfires; and our Toyota had an A/C filter back then too.

This spring during covid I had mobile come out to clean the A/C and replace the filters and I have a feeling I’ll be needing have my A/C cleaned and filters changed again much sooner than before. We’re in Santa Clara Valley and there has been literally smoke coming from every direction on the horizon (if you can even see the horizon). I do wish Tesla had found a way to give the Model 3 the same biodefense as the MS/MX though.

My appreciation goes out to all of our firefighters out there and hope they stay safe. I hope they get needed relief soon from incoming teams. This is just sad and incredible what’s happened from the dry lightning last week. Stay safe everyone. At least most of us have masks to wear when out so that a good thing right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: goldengate and bmah
As easily as they can add it to a TM3

@SMAlset, did you think about just putting the car on recirc? That might prevent you from going thru so many expensive filters.

Oh the car was definitely on recirc. Wait until you end up with smelly A/C air though. Recirc over time will do that although I believe they adjusted the software to vent the car differently when leaving so some fresh air goes in. My husband refused to get in my car until the A/C was taken care of. His MS was never like that. And the Model 3 replacement filters aren’t expensive.

As for the non-refreshed MS design, I know the cone is different just didn’t think it affected the area back by the glove box. Assumed the vents in the car are the same. Guess I always thought they just didn’t add the filters at that point but the basic hardware set up was there all the same. Ours is a 3/2017 build. Biodefense was an option we purchased with the car. I thought I saw MS threads from owners who didn’t buy it and they bought the filters from Service and added them on their own and when turning the air speed to the highest setting it was as effective or close to having bought it installed at purchase. Maybe I’m mistaken. Been a while since I’ve hung out on the MS forum since getting my Model 3.

Last edited:
Wish I had it. In 2018 when I ordered the Model X it was part of the Premium package which I passed on. Now living in an area with "Hazardous" air quality I really wish I had it.
Pretty sure you can order it from tesla aftermarket, at worst the space is still there in the frunk and you can buy a Tesla or 3rd party filter and stick it in

Pretty sure you can order it from tesla aftermarket, at worst the space is still there in the frunk and you can buy a Tesla or 3rd party filter and stick it in

I probably should have gotten the filter. But, the car is on lease and will be replaced in 8 months, likely with a 2021 X. And now all Xs come with it and the other parts of the PUP as standard.

Reactions: srk67
BWD was a lifesaver for my wife and I when driving home last week from Lassen National Park to San Mateo through areas where the AQI was anywhere from 150 to 400+. And we are still using just driving around in the Bay Area, as the air has been horrendous with no indication that it is going to improve any time soon.

Yip. We just got back from a trip to Pacheco with the air on recirc, very thick smog out the window the whole way. But when she opened the door to get out *GASP* that's a lot of smoke. But a minute after the door is closed, even in a Model 3, the air in the car is clean and sweet-smelling again.