Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thankfully this forum is not censored.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mollum is usually the culprit on the Tesla forum - it affects non-owners such as the OP more than owners, but even owners get it sometimes. Certain words are known to trip it, but other times it seems arbitrary. It's meant to combat spam since there are no moderators over there but it doesn't always work.

This is not just the innocent operations of a spam filter. I am blocked when ever I challenge Tesla's pricing and profits. Take another look at my statement that was blocked; there is nothing in there that could innocently trigger a spam filter.

The "other" site's loss is TMC's gain. OP is already a rising star here -- racking up 2 of the top 15 "Most Disagreed" posts on TMC with less than 50 posts! Most Disagreed Posts | Tesla Motors Club

This one is my personal favorite:
I didn't expect to pay $35,000 for a model 3
I mean, $35K for a Model 3? And options cost extra? Yeah that was a shocker! Good for you for calling out all those meanies and fanboys on the other site.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Runt8
Since OP did not provide a link I went there and signed in but could not find any way to search for recent posts by user.

Forums/home/modelS right? Where is the OP's thread?

Also, is the OP aware that the 2170 cell is harder to cool than the 18650 due to its larger diameter? Thus newer is not necessarily better for all applications.
--

Last edited:
The "other" site's loss is TMC's gain. OP is already a rising star here -- racking up 2 of the top 15 "Most Disagreed" posts on TMC with less than 50 posts! Most Disagreed Posts | Tesla Motors Club

This one is my personal favorite:
I didn't expect to pay $35,000 for a model 3
I mean, $35K for a Model 3? And options cost extra? Yeah that was a shocker! Good for you for calling out all those meanies and fanboys on the other site.:rolleyes:

Wow, you guys do get a lot of ad hominem don't you? Or maybe this poster doesn't know what ad hominem means.

I can handle any meanies and fanboys. What I object to is Tesla censoring any criticism of their prices. Now, do you have any problems with my post that was censored?

While I hate to let you change the subject; I must say the following--Yes, right after the July 28 pricing reveal, I was very angry at what Tesla had done and was less artful with my language than I would be now. But nonetheless I stand by my point. Elon Musk at first said the average price of the M3 would be $43,000. We now know that it will be over $50,000--and yes that is bait and switch.
Now back to our previously scheduled discussion.

Wow, you guys do get a lot of ad hominem don't you? Or maybe this poster doesn't know what ad hominem means.

I can handle any meanies and fanboys. What I object to is Tesla censoring any criticism of their prices. Now, do you have any problems with my post that was censored?

While I hate to let you change the subject; I must say the following--Yes, right after the July 28 pricing reveal, I was very angry at what Tesla had done and was less artful with my language than I would be now. But nonetheless I stand by my point. Elon Musk at first said the average price of the M3 would be $43,000. We now know that it will be over $50,000--and yes that is bait and switch.

Your claims about option prices have already been debunked at length in your other thread linked in my post above. I didn't expect to pay $35,000 for a model 3 (The thread about options pricing, not the other thread you created to ask whether the Model 3 is a "death trap" because it does not have traditional buttons and gauges. Is a lack of instrumentation dangerous?)

I don't spend much time on the other site but my understanding is that it is not moderated by Tesla so I seriously doubt Tesla censored your post as you claim. Actual owners can "flag" a post if they think it is trolling or otherwise violates the terms of service and if enough owners flag it it disappears. I suspect that's what happened to your post. I doubt it was your only one on the subject.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runt8
Since OP did not provide a link I went there and signed in but could not find any way to search for recent posts by user.

Also, is the OP aware that the 2170 cell is harder to cool than the 18650 due to its larger diameter? Thus newer is not necessarily better for all applications.
--
He read some evannex "articles" he knows better, please don't argue :D

That was what he thought the average sales price would be when the car was in full production, not just the initial cars with the larger battery and all the options. The first Model S and X produced were the more expensive versions also, so no surprise there.

Your claims about option prices have already been debunked at length in your other thread linked in my post above. I didn't expect to pay $35,000 for a model 3 (The thread about options pricing, not the other thread you created to ask whether the Model 3 is a "death trap" because it does not have traditional buttons and gauges. Is a lack of instrumentation dangerous?)

I don't spend much time on the other site but my understanding is that it is not moderated by Tesla so I seriously doubt Tesla censored your post as you claim. Actual owners can "flag" a post if they think it is trolling or otherwise violates the terms of service and if enough owners flag it it disappears. I suspect that's what happened to your post. I doubt it was your only one on the subject.

I'm not going to allow you to get away with cheap ones; go ahead and debunk the fact that the original presentation of the M3 as a $43,000 car on average, could honestly be called a bait and switch.

I won't debate your ignorance of the Tesla.com forum; if you don't believe me look directly above at melindav's post.
As far as your citation to Is a lack of instrumentation dangerous?-- I don't know if you're being ignorant, or disingenuous. But, as I stated, that post was a deliberate "troll" (for good purposes)

Yes my first post was click bait and a bit of a troll. I was surprised that no one had apparently picked up on what I consider one of the greatest features of the M3 "voice activated controls." [ the M3's huge computer power makes it exponentially better than others]

....The reason why I ordered an M3 is to have the car of the future today. That's why I have to bite the bullet and layout $8000 for FSD. But combine that with voice activated controls and we are just one dimension away from Star Trek

That was what he thought the average sales price would be when the car was in full production, not just the initial cars with the larger battery and all the options. The first Model S and X produced were the more expensive versions also, so no surprise there.

Read this article from The Verge; it too discusses that $35,000 was bait and switch:
Tesla’s Model 3 isn’t a luxury car, but it’s priced like one
@ Model3tracker shows that with the options the majority of people want, the M3 is over $50,000. The Tesla.com M3 forum has a survey of what options people intended to order; and the price average came out to over $50,000 again.

--

This was the thread that I tried to post on:

EAP vs Long Range Battery
Submitted by rcobbjr on September 20, 2017

It is still current.

Last edited:
Model3tracker shows that with the options the majority of people want, the M3 is over $50,000. The Tesla.com M3 forum has a survey of what options people intended to order; and the price average came out to over $50,000 again.

Ah, so what you "know" is based on limited populations of self-selected survey responders, taken from populations that probably have a much higher than normal representation of high net worth individuals for whom an extra $10k of options isn't a problem.

I was wondering how you "knew" what the average order price was going to be when AFAIK no non-employees have even been asked to configure yet.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
[QUOTE="EinSV, post: 2322134, member: 43059]
I don't spend much time on the other site but my understanding is that it is not moderated by Tesla so I seriously doubt Tesla censored your post as you claim. Actual owners can "flag" a post if they think it is trolling or otherwise violates the terms of service and if enough owners flag it it disappears. I suspect that's what happened to your post. I doubt it was your only one on the subject.[/QUOTE]

Finally some accurate verbiage about the Tesla.com fora. Their forum app is not homegrown - it’s Mollum. There’s a lot less kissing/sucking up because the heirarchy there is flat. Nobody cares if you owned a Roadster or how many posts you’ve written.

Further, any post can get vaporized if enough people flag it. And in general the tone is far more civil because there isn’t omnipresent and uneven moderation. Nobody to impress or limits to push. The posts stand or fall on their own.

Is the app perfect? Hardly, but none are. The spam filter, for example, is just odd.

The best feature at the tesla.com forums is being able to have owners-only private threads.

The biggest problem with the that site is the lack of decent searching. Not a problem for most who know how to either a) google effectively, or b) Volkerize.

So simple.

In the end, however, content, ease of use/familiarity and primacy are king, with real-world crossover making a good run (see the success(es) of TMC Connect).

In the end, as with so many thIngs, the answer is not “or”, but “and”.

I post on both this forum and the Tesla.com M3 forum. The Tesla.com forum is ridiculously censored. Take a look at my latest post that got censored:

"The S and X use the older battery; which probably costs more/kwh (also they are "luxury" cars, the M3 is the "affordable" mass-market car). The projected falling costs are based on the new (2170) battery. But most importantly, my comments are based on costs, current and projected, for the M3's 2170"

Do you mean that the Mollom prevented from you posting because it recognized the comas and '' as spam?

Or you mean it got deleted afterwards?

I lost so much time when posting posts with multiple sections and being blocked by Mollom.

Read this article from The Verge; it too discusses that $35,000 was bait and switch:
Tesla’s Model 3 isn’t a luxury car, but it’s priced like one
@ Model3tracker shows that with the options the majority of people want, the M3 is over $50,000. The Tesla.com M3 forum has a survey of what options people intended to order; and the price average came out to over $50,000 again.
Why do you think that people who participate in a Model 3 forum, and before the car is even available to the general public, are representative of average buyers?

Their forum app is not homegrown - it’s Mollum.

From what I understand, Mollom is simply a content filtering API, not a forum application. I still contend that the forum software itself on tesla.com is homegrown. It's the actual barest bones forum features necessary to run a forum, circa 1998 (i.e. not much different then "Matt's Script Archive" forum software). It doesn't allow notifications, threading, searching, etc. I could probably re-write their forum software in about a day or two, tops. No way that's a commercial product.

Deletes, bans & threats of bans happen all the time on TMC...trust me!
Deletes should be rare, but I agree they do happen. Speaking for myself - on occasion, there will be threads that are reported as duplicates. If I look at them, and the original post says the same thing as the duplicate, then there are responses pointing out the other thread and nothing else, I'll just dump the whole thread. However, if there's anything of value, I'll merge them. There are other examples like this where skinny, relatively content-free posts will get thrown out in a batch move. I often move posts away but deletions should be quite uncommon.