Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

THANKS and a few questions from new owner of 2008 Roadster 1.5 #243 Radiant Red

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. Older Model S's do the same thing. That's because the brakes are still vacuum boosted. But since there's no engine to provide vacuum like in an ICE there's an electric motor to create the vacuum. That's what you're hearing - every time you release the brake pedal the motor kicks on to rebuild the vacuum. Newer Model S's have cut out the middle vacuum step and just use an electric motor to provide the brake boost. So they just hear the clicking of relays.
The noise you mention when the vacuum motor comes on when the brake pedal is released: is this the same brake pedal-related noise that some S owners are complaining about in another thread? Let me try and find that thread and post a link... and here it is Brake pedal play / rattle when lifting off pedal...

Update: The heat wave passed and it's now down to about 75 degrees ambient and my Roadster has been amazingly quiet - i almost miss all the animated burbling, whirring, fanning, and roaring sounds. She's just sleeping like a baby. Even when charging she only purrs, intermittently.

BTW the car came with a TS-70 HPC that the former owner never used and I won't be needing it as the MC-240 or my Clipper Creek with the Can JR should be more than adequate. I don't think I'll need a fast charge at home since it is just a weekend/second car for local jaunts in the wine country and environs. So I have posted an Ad for the TS-70 (2nd gen HPC made for Tesla by Clipper Creek) if anyone is interested:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...d-Model-TS-70-made-for-Tesla-by-Clipper-Creek

The noise you mention when the vacuum motor comes on when the brake pedal is released: is this the same brake pedal-related noise that some S owners are complaining about in another thread? Let me try and find that thread and post a link... and here it is Brake pedal play / rattle when lifting off pedal...
I didn't ready that thread but the noise I'm talking about (and I assume Tony as well) is definitely outside the car (whether S or Roadster). It's easy to notice if you're in a garage and you tap the brakes a couple time on your way out. You'll hear it doing a kind of "honking" sound that can go on for a few seconds. You'll also hear it if you're standing outside the car when someone turns it on if it's been sitting for any length of time.

You can verify that it is the electric vacuum pump by depressing the brake pedal several times with the key on. The pump will turn on with one or two brake applications, and turn off after a few seconds. Repeat as needed to determine where the sound is coming from. The vacuum pump is located in front of the drivers side front wheel.

Did you change this behavior? On my 1.5 the 12v lighter is energized even when the car is off.. Thanks!

The 12V lighter socket is on when the car is awake. Usually, it will turn off about five minutes after you turn the car off, when the car goes to sleep. The main exception to this rule is if the car is too hot, it won't sleep but will instead stay awake and run the coolant pump.