Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

That crazy Loonie!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This analogy is not correct. If your currency devalues it is because of the underlying government's actions. Spending by governments taxes the holders of the currency through devaluation. Vote to supress government spending and entitlements and your currency will be better able to retain it's value.

You are not PAYING more, you are paying the same. If this happens its the instrument you are paying with is worth less. If you are worried about the devaluation buy a US dollar denominated investment as your savings for the car purchase.

..........Edit

I believe that the US dollar is unusually strong at the moment. Best to leave your currency in the loonie at the moment. IMO

While, I'll fully admit to not being a fan of our current government, they are not the problem. Nor is the strength of the USD. The US/CAD exchange rate is very highly correlated to the price of oil. Oil cannot stay at the current price; every producer is losing money. It seems obvious to me that when it recovers to a more sustainable level, the CAD will improve as well.

Canadian-dollar-to-us-dollar.png

Edit:

Well, if I had read all of the prior posts I would have noticed that somebody posted almost exactly the same graph. DOH! :)

How did you guys turn this into a political / economic debate? The guy just wants to know if he should buy now or later, not what to tell his government to do.

Personally I think we're at the bottom.

Just from the data, oil tends not to sit at the bottom very long.. a few months at most. The reasons why are different with every downward spike; in this case, I think we'll shortly see the results of worldwide well closures. And at a certain point the Saudis will have to blink.

But... that's worth every cent you paid for it! :)

Don't wait. We decided to buy when we did as we saw dollar starting to tank in 2014! Missed on auto pilot and AWD but very pleased we made decision when we did as price for same car is close to C$30,000 more today than when we bought. We have loved the car as is. We are still pleased with our decision.

I've been planning for a LOOOOOONG time to buy a Model S, and just when I'm about ready to do it, our Loonie shits itself......

Right now, on the design center, my 90D S comes in at $132,150 CDN. On the American site, same specs costs; $104,700 US.

Does that mean when our Loonie shits itself to 0.59cents or lower, that my S will be like $160,000........ ???? Paying $50k more to cross a border makes me feel sick.:crying:

I intended on waiting for the nose-cone change in Spring (Hoping they make the S look like the X in the front, I think the nose-cone looks hideous..*Dodges Bullets*...) :tongue:
New nose cone is still just a rumor or has more info come out?

- - - Updated - - -

Just be glad Tesla is being so generous with their exchange rates, at current values that 104,700USD should be 151,951CAD
so could you in theory buy a model S in Canada and ship it immediately to the US?

I blame Obama for doing such a good job with the US Economy despite push back. We need another George Bush so we can have a $1.10 Canadian dollar again. Hopefully, Trump wins and not Hillary so he can tank start more stupid wars, deregulate insurance and banking, and tank the US economy... ;)

so could you in theory buy a model S in Canada and ship it immediately to the US?
In theory, yes. (the opposite is not possible)
The way Tesla sells their cars though it may be that a Canadian needs to buy it and then send it south, and I don't know what import duties or other taxes you may be hit with that may negate the advantage, the car also wouldn't likely qualify for the $7500 US tax credit

I'd say their current price is low enough in Canada to not fully penalize us for the atrocious exchange rate, while not being so low as to encourage a lot of people to try to buy a Canadian car and ship it south.