Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

That is One Ugly Truck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw the glass fail all over the new this morning, but WTF is that odd shaped, angular vehicle?
I'm having a hard time seeing who his target audience is with that design. I live in Washington state and as anyone that lives here will tell you we have a very large concentration of trucks here. There are so many pavement princess drivers that I don't see them buying something as radical as this departure from the normal red neck 100 year old design that is so prevalent in all brands of full size trucks. As a fan of tesla I can appreciate his future forward thinking design but I'm still on the fence.

I can't imagine that appealing to very many people. It's like a bad DeLorian.
I dunno, I wouldn't say I LOVE the design, but it's far better than any of the renders that were going around pre-reveal. I almost considered ordering one due to the super low prices, but can't justify getting another car that I'd only need a handful of times a year. I never thought it was ugly, I thought it looks sort of... unfinished, but it's growing on me.

That said, I have two friends that told me they preordered one, and supposedly they have somewhere around 200k preorders as of this morning (Does Tesla Already Have Over 200,000 Cybertruck Reservations?) so I guess enough people like it!

My take is that truck ought not be pretty...it's a utilitarian vehicle that should focus on payload, towing, off-road, ruggedness, and cheap jerry-rigging fixes. I'm not sure this vehicle does any of those things particularly well. Done well and the vehicle should tow like GM Duramax and have the low maintenance of a Toyota Tacoma. Although I will say it does have a Mad Max-dystopian- zombie apocalypse-"Black Mirror" look to it.

As for the window smash, I think it was rigged to smash to grab as much attention as possible...it only cost them two units of glass and look at all the buzz. There's no way they didn't test it ahead of time.

Reactions: tranzndance
My take is that truck ought not be pretty...it's a utilitarian vehicle that should focus on payload, towing, off-road, ruggedness, and cheap jerry-rigging fixes. I'm not sure this vehicle does any of those things particularly well. Done well and the vehicle should tow like GM Duramax and have the low maintenance of a Toyota Tacoma. Although I will say it does have a Mad Max-dystopian- zombie apocalypse-"Black Mirror" look to it.

As for the window smash, I think it was rigged to smash to grab as much attention as possible...it only cost them two units of glass and look at all the buzz. There's no way they didn't test it ahead of time.
I completely agree about them knowing the glass would break. Negative or positive publicity is still publicly.

I have to agree on the glass. They spent A LOT of time showing how the glass wouldn’t break in the ball drop demos just to have both break too easily. It had to be a setup

I have to agree on the glass. They spent A LOT of time showing how the glass wouldn’t break in the ball drop demos just to have both break too easily. It had to be a setup
I think you're attributing too much organization and forethought to this company.

Design-wise it's an unmitigated disaster. I get they wanted "unconventional" and even "cyberpunk" but there's got to be a path to that other than "unfathomably fugly".

Beyond the design itself, the most obvious comparison I can draw is with a Hummer H2. Like the Hummer, it's the type of vehicle where you can't help but look at the occupant and laugh. Who could ever be taken seriously in such a machine?

• Funny
Reactions: Hans L and kavyboy
I seen this and now I'm happy
FB_IMG_1574463632789.jpg