Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

That is One Ugly Truck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The funny this is that I don't really consider the glass fail to be a fail. Obviously Musk was expecting the metal balls to bounce off the windows without leaving a mark but they did not completely go through the windows either.

That's no different than any other tempered safety glass in a car. They laminate the glass with a very durable polymer that retains the core integrity of the glass without penetrations. It's energy distribution. Any modern car would have accomplished the same outcome.

I don't know what version of the Bladerunner movie people were expecting, but I 100% expected this:

i012087.jpg

And it was delivered. Not surprised.

• Informative
Reactions: tomot
I was speechless when I saw it, it is huge. Not a traditional design as people expect how a truck should look like. I think Tesla should not even call this a truck, it is more a utility vehicle than X or Y, it sits 6 full size adults comfortably, can haul a lot more stuff and have good ground clearance. This is not a truck for cowboy or construction worker, you will be laughed at. I am seriously not a truck person but if I do any full time outdoor sports this would be something I would love. It would be my snowmobile if I snowboard 5 months a year.

When Chrysler announced the new segment minivan in 1983, the work force nearly walked out in protest of such an ugly vehicle that no one will buy. Within a year, 180° turnaround. 15 million sold and counting.

That's a decent example, but I don't know if the Cybertruck offers as much functionality as the segmented minivan. I think the Model X is probably a better comparison of that. It's all about accessibility to the rear seats for kids.

The Cybertruck is a just a truck with a SS body and a weird ass exterior. Other than that, I don't think offers anything exceptionally functional. Maybe the ramp? Is that what ever truck guy wants? Idk, I'm not a truck guy. I certainly think the durable body is a win, but that didn't dictate how it looked...although maybe it did. Folded sheet is a LOT cheaper than pressed molds.

I was referencing the car-truck concept linked in the quoted sections of my post. Nothing to do with tonneau covers. I think Cybertruck is amazing. Yes it’s on the fugly side of the spectrum, but not far from what I expected and seriously functional.

I'm curios what functionality you like. The ramp?

Edit: slightly playing devils advocate. I like it too.

What bothers me is they didn't commit to it. It's a half ass job. If you're gonna do that amazing and unusual exterior, you don't put the F150 cab inside. Their only one display thing drives me bonkers, I hate it. I won't get a 3 or a Y because of it, and that's why I have an X. I want a dashboard with important info and then a big screen to do extras.

And it needed something different about the doors. Fine the FWDs on the X were a mess early on and maybe still are. I love mine. But a suicide door, or something, not just four doors.

I'm ok with the design choices, but I'm a sci-fi nerd and I'd love having that, but not when the inside is as boring as any other pickup with a dash that goes for miles with nothing on.

That said, don't take too much from what I say because I didn't want or need a truck. Unless FSD is out in a year where I no longer have to care *ever* about driving then maybe change the screens. Until then, i want at least two.

Young people are huge Tesla fans. They're the ones who most often comment on and ask questions about my Model 3. My kids, step kids, and their friends all love it and love the whole concept. When I saw the kids after school today I asked them if they saw the Cybertruck and they immediately responded negatively. "It's terrible" and "I hate it". So, there ya go.

Reactions: ucmndd
Young people are huge Tesla fans. They're the ones who most often comment on and ask questions about my Model 3. My kids, step kids, and their friends all love it and love the whole concept. When I saw the kids after school today I asked them if they saw the Cybertruck and they immediately responded negatively. "It's terrible" and "I hate it". So, there ya go.
Like I said last night, the whole thing reeked of Tesla becoming a parody of themselves. It was truly awful.

The whole thing is tone deaf. Yes, some rich white GenX nozzles are going to get the Blade Runner nostalgia and plunk down a bunch of money on a fully ridiculous vehicle.

The younger generation driving excitement and interest in the brand doesn’t relate to this thing at all. They don’t get the pop culture reference. They barely have interest in cars at all, let alone gigantic natural resource guzzling monstrosities (even “green” gigantic resource guzzling monstrosities). It’s of zero interest to the million people buying conventional utility-based pickups in the US every year (if anything, it just cements their opinion that Tesla makes goofy toys, not serious work-focused automobiles). It does _nothing_ to “accelerate the transition to sustainable energy”. Full whiff on all counts.