Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

That Motor Trend 1 foot rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I believe this was done deceptively, and deliberately, cheating me out of thousands of dollars - since in reality there was not much difference between P85D and 85D. Except the substantial price differential.

The P85D is one of the few that does faster 0-60mph than 3.2 seconds. However the kw/hp is way off as well as all P90DL’s kw/hp. The real issue with the P85D is that adding ludicrous hardly made any difference. Maybe for the 1/4 mile but besides that 0-60mph is about the same. No faster off the line etc. But they seem to hold their value better than any other Tesla that’s for sure. Might be something to do with the fact that it seems to have to least battery degradation out of all performance models. Really don’t understand how it’s managed to stay in the $50k (2014-2015) range while a 2016.5 P90DL is in the $60k range now. I can understand the P90DL’s from 2015-2016 being the same cause these years they really screwed the owners who bought the P90D. Same range and basically identical performance. It’s hard for me to believe that it’s even a different battery than a 85. The 2016.5 P90DL is the one that adds 20 miles of range as well as being capable of 2.6 seconds 0-60mph 1ft. It gets a maximum of 515kw and about 700hp. Still way below the advertised 762hp
I ain’t mad tho since I have one (P85D)

Last edited:
Can't believe how long this thread has lasted. In my humble opinion it's a pointless exercise. NOBODY cares about 0-60 time. NOBODY. Automotive fans and car fans care about HOW MUCH FASTER THEIR PREFERRED CAR REACHES SPEED OVER THE COMPETITION. If you are at a stoplight and a performance car pulls alongside, the 0-60 number (as advertised) gives you an idea how a stoplight to stoplight sprint will go. Making the declared number more superficial is that the advertised number relies on optimal conditions, tires, 2 vs 4WD and potentially if the car has/uses a designated launch mode. Whether M/T uses 1FTR is not going to matter when the light turns green. Assuming equal reaction time, he faster car will win--irrespective of what the number printed in the magazine say.

Absolutely untrue, in my experience.
Multiple posts about how it changed drivability and punch. It was the best 10k I ever spent on a car.

Well multiple posts vs actual times say differently. No one can argue that their P85DL has more punch than my P85D since my 0-30mph are comparable and better than P100DL’s. I would say the only advantage would be in the 1/4 mile and accelerating from 70mph on. The 0-60 times do not support any advantage. That’s just facts not feelings. Placebo effect can be a bitch especially when you spent $10K, no one wants to admit it wasn’t worth it. But it wasn’t worth $5k or even $1k. Maybe when you resale it they won’t know any better so it might get you a little more. Than again it might not since it’s attributed to battery failure which is probably why it does nothing it the last few years. Cause they limited it thru a software update. If you have never noticed there is a reason Tesla doesn’t sale used P85DL’s.

Well multiple posts vs actual times say differently. No one can argue that their P85DL has more punch than my P85D since my 0-30mph are comparable and better than P100DL’s. I would say the only advantage would be in the 1/4 mile and accelerating from 70mph on. The 0-60 times do not support any advantage. That’s just facts not feelings. Placebo effect can be a bitch especially when you spent $10K, no one wants to admit it wasn’t worth it. But it wasn’t worth $5k or even $1k. Maybe when you resale it they won’t know any better so it might get you a little more. Than again it might not since it’s attributed to battery failure which is probably why it does nothing it the last few years. Cause they limited it thru a software update. If you have never noticed there is a reason Tesla doesn’t sale used P85DL’s.

P85D, P85DL, P100DL's are all traction limited to 30 MPH. The P100DL is traction limited to 40 MPH.

The reason you don't see Tesla selling used P85DLs is because there were less than 300 ever converted and they are very rare. You will never see more than 2 for sale anywhere in the US searching onecraigs, ebay, and autotrader. You won't see hardly any dragy entries because dragy wasn't even a thing 5 years ago. Everyone was using vbox's or pbox's from Racelogic. Also, folks to tend to do all their measuring stick instrumenting when they get their cars so I doubt you'll find anyone with a P85DL these days that even cares.

The L upgrade dropped my 0-60 from 3.1 to 2.85 (using a vbox, not a dragy) but all of the decrease in time was from 30-60 (fact).

Power increased from 415KW 90% max battery ready to 458KW (fact) but ONLY after 30 MPH(fact)

For me, the biggest benefit to the upgrade was the 50-70 passing speed which dropped nearly 1/2 second(fact).

This is all instrumented with a professional performance measuring tool. It's not placebo.

• Informative
Reactions: DarkMatter and SO16
P85D, P85DL, P100DL's are all traction limited to 30 MPH. The P100DL is traction limited to 40 MPH.

The reason you don't see Tesla selling used P85DLs is because there were less than 300 ever converted and they are very rare. You will never see more than 2 for sale anywhere in the US searching onecraigs, ebay, and autotrader. You won't see hardly any dragy entries because dragy wasn't even a thing 5 years ago. Everyone was using vbox's or pbox's from Racelogic. Also, folks to tend to do all their measuring stick instrumenting when they get their cars so I doubt you'll find anyone with a P85DL these days that even cares.

The L upgrade dropped my 0-60 from 3.1 to 2.85 (using a vbox, not a dragy) but all of the decrease in time was from 30-60 (fact).

Power increased from 415KW 90% max battery ready to 458KW (fact) but ONLY after 30 MPH(fact)

For me, the biggest benefit to the upgrade was the 50-70 passing speed which dropped nearly 1/2 second(fact).

This is all instrumented with a professional performance measuring tool. It's not placebo.

Not fact... except for 50-70mph the rest incorrect. No advantage after 30mph and the facts are in the times.
Here’s another fact there were a bunch of V3 P90DL Tesla’s manufactured after September and even August. Fact you won’t find one with ludicrous added on Tesla’s website fact. Why is that? Cause they degrade the battery too much. Yet they sale for $70k+ without ludicrous added fact. Only 2016.5 P90DL’s will be manufactured before August on their website fact. If there is one it will have over 40k miles and no longer a V3 battery fact. V3 refers too batteries 1088790-00-A and 1088792-00-A. The others all have the V2 battery with a manufacture date before August fact.

Your completely wrong and there were plenty of P85DL’s but when Tesla got them they removed it facts!

If u want me to prove u wrong again I have a sample size to do so. It will only be the second time I prove u wrong AGAIN FACT

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Bill Price and SO16

Do you know that there are plenty of cars that have more horsepower/KW than others but aren’t as fast. Fact... You can’t equate your KW into a faster time just cause it has more fact. Why are V3 P90DL’s faster than a lot of P100DL’s yet don’t have as much KW/Hp Fact.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Bill Price
Not fact... except for 50-70mph the rest incorrect. No advantage after 30mph and the facts are in the times.

Exactly. I have the times and the equipment to measure acceleration and battery power from 30 to 60 mph....unless you just want to call me a lier again and get your posts removed like before.

Here’s another fact there were a bunch of V3 P90DL Tesla’s manufactured after September and even August. Fact you won’t find one with ludicrous added on Tesla’s website fact. Why is that? Cause they degrade the battery too much.

They come and go. I've seen plenty of P90DLs on Tesla's CPO site. You are right that the 90s do degrade faster but that's due to silicon on the anodes.

My P85DL original battery has been doing great but I'm still on v8 so I haven't been power and range capped like many others have. I'm currently at 240 miles of range at 100% out of an original 253 after 110K miles.

My power is down to 443KW from an 458KW when the upgrade was first done at 17K miles.

Do you know that there are plenty of cars that have more horsepower/KW than others but aren’t as fast. Fact... You can’t equate your KW into a faster time just cause it has more fact. Why are V3 P90DL’s faster than a lot of P100DL’s yet don’t have as much KW/Hp Fact.

Of course. Torque curves and transmission gears on other cars result in way less power applied under the curve especially at lower speeds. A traditional manual car in 1st gear loses 40% of its power just due to resistance caused in the gear reduction which is why you dyno in the gear that is the 1:1 ratio which is typically 4th gear but not always.

My numbers are from my own measurements using a vbox. If you search for my threads, you can see all my before and after posts back in 2015. I was going to find them for you but then you called me a lier and said I was making it all up.

Moderator note: Moved a series of posts to Snippiness. Unfortunately, a number of posts in this thread came along as collateral damage. Posters who contributed on-topic content that got snipped have my apologies, and are invited to re-post their content (without references to snippy content).

Please remember that disagreement on the TMC forums is fine, but attacks, trolling, and baiting are not allowed.

Thanks,

Bruce.

Reactions: foos
Can't believe how long this thread has lasted. In my humble opinion it's a pointless exercise. NOBODY cares about 0-60 time. NOBODY. Automotive fans and car fans care about HOW MUCH FASTER THEIR PREFERRED CAR REACHES SPEED OVER THE COMPETITION. If you are at a stoplight and a performance car pulls alongside, the 0-60 number (as advertised) gives you an idea how a stoplight to stoplight sprint will go. Making the declared number more superficial is that the advertised number relies on optimal conditions, tires, 2 vs 4WD and potentially if the car has/uses a designated launch mode. Whether M/T uses 1FTR is not going to matter when the light turns green. Assuming equal reaction time, he faster car will win--irrespective of what the number printed in the magazine say.

Here’s the splash page on Tesla’s site for the S.

So if “nobody cares”, why do you think the 0-60 time is the very first thing Tesla wants you to know about the car?

EA328908-0EBA-4F6F-BA03-B352131C163D.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: tyler2323
The only reason I'd care about 0-60 is how it compares to other cars. If the other cars are being tested using the same method, thats all I need to know. Whats deceptive is comparing apples to oranges.

The sad thing is EVs have a better 1 ft rollout than any ICE car so they look worse in comparison than if they were compared to ICE cars WITH the one foot rollout.

Reactions: SO16
The only reason I'd care about 0-60 is how it compares to other cars. If the other cars are being tested using the same method, thats all I need to know. Whats deceptive is comparing apples to oranges.
Tesla does a bit of that. On their spec the non-Performance units get the full 0-60 and the Performance units get the roll-out subtracted. It's at least disclosed though, and frankly it doesn't matter quite as much as one might think because even the slowest Tesla is a quick car.