Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

That notorious driver side dash rattle..

1LE McQueen

Mar 22, 2019
Arizona
2021 M3 LR, only about 300 miles - I'm starting to hear that weird crackle / rattle noise coming from the drivers side dash around highway speeds (65mph and up).

It sounds just like this.

I had a couple of points I wanted to ask ya'll -
1. Why has this continued to persist? I've been cruising the web for answers and saw this issue being brought up back in 2019. Perhaps someone in service or engineering could chime in here?
2. Is this specific rattle covered under warranty? I have a service appointment set up for September.
3. If not.. What is the easiest, best way to stop it? I saw Aaron Averett's video and frankly I'm a bit skeptical to pop some of the trims, given how i've only had the car for a week and i'm really good at damaging things.

Thanks!

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
1. No one from tesla service or engineering is going to post here about a topic like this (with the exception of one person who doesnt post any longer, they dont post here at all. Tesla does look at websites, but its social media people.

2.Rattles are only covered under warranty near the beginning of ownership. Since your car is a 2021, you would want to get it in there sooner rather than later. I dont know "how soon" you need to get it in there, but If I were you I would put a service request in right now. Sooner is better.

1LE McQueen

Mar 22, 2019
Arizona
Mobile service will not fix it, I tried. He said to take it to the service center. YMMV. Well placed high density foam quieted the one in my 2021 LR.

Thanks. I've read a couple of posts regarding using high density foam - but I need a visual representation to understand where exactly to put it.

1. No one from tesla service or engineering is going to post here about a topic like this (with the exception of one person who doesnt post any longer, they dont post here at all. Tesla does look at websites, but its social media people.

2.Rattles are only covered under warranty near the beginning of ownership. Since your car is a 2021, you would want to get it in there sooner rather than later. I dont know "how soon" you need to get it in there, but If I were you I would put a service request in right now. Sooner is better.

Thank you, my car is still very young but I'd like to know how much time / mileage they give you.. I believe I was told 100 miles or 24 hours, but that's not enough time to figure out something like this on a brand new car IMO. And certainly a rattle issue SHOULD be taken care of during a cars bumper-to-bumper anyway and if they don't honor that I'll be disappointed in Tesla as a brand.

I put in my request yesterday and the earliest appointment they have is early September.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Thanks. I've read a couple of posts regarding using high density foam - but I need a visual representation to understand where exactly to put it.

Thank you, my car is still very young but I'd like to know how much time / mileage they give you.. I believe I was told 100 miles or 24 hours, but that's not enough time to figure out something like this on a brand new car IMO. And certainly a rattle issue SHOULD be taken care of during a cars bumper-to-bumper anyway and if they don't honor that I'll be disappointed in Tesla as a brand.

I put in my request yesterday and the earliest appointment they have is early September.

They absolutely do NOT cover rattles under the 50k 4 year bumper to bumper. I dont know how long they cover them, as I remember reading various results here, but I imagine that 12 months 12k ish miles feels like what I remember reading.

Its good that you have video / proof though, because they also want that (or to be able to re produce it themselves). If it doesnt happen all the time but you know how to re produce it on demand, then thats a bonus. Otherwise, save your proof as you may need to produce it.

Reactions: 1LE McQueen

jimtelsa

Mar 31, 2013
Simi Valley
That is the exact issue I have on my 2020 M3P, Mobile service would not address
Same Area . also have rattling noise in the doors as speed goes up
If I take car in, I have to agree to a cost per hour, as its not covered under the warranty, then its put into a service que and I dont know when they will look at. This is with an appointment
So I am on my own with this, so any way to correct these issues with out paid help from Tesla would be great

dorsai

Dec 29, 2018
Ohio
I had this in my 21, and the service center fixed it under warranty when I told them about it. I was in for a different issue and didn't ask what they did to fix it, sorry. Seemed like it was an easy fix, might just need to add a piece of foam under the vent trim strip.

1LE McQueen

Mar 22, 2019
Arizona
That is the exact issue I have on my 2020 M3P, Mobile service would not address
Same Area . also have rattling noise in the doors as speed goes up
If I take car in, I have to agree to a cost per hour, as its not covered under the warranty, then its put into a service que and I dont know when they will look at. This is with an appointment
So I am on my own with this, so any way to correct these issues with out paid help from Tesla would be great

See people like you paid big bucks for that car, this is something they should cover period.

P-Lo801

Apr 19, 2019
Sacramento, CA
I have the same exact rattle in my 2019 LR AWD. I even recorded a video that sounds nearly identical. It seems to come intermittently, so sometimes I hear it; then I won't hear it for a few days, then it'll come on again. It's utterly frustrating.

• Informative

Rippin1Gear

Feb 7, 2020
Seattle
Had the same issue… after 2 service attempts to fix the issue I found it myself driving on the highway. It ended up being the plastic housing around the steering column. Pressed on the top and the rattle went away.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC