Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

That notorious driver side dash rattle..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2021 M3 LR, only about 300 miles - I'm starting to hear that weird crackle / rattle noise coming from the drivers side dash around highway speeds (65mph and up).

It sounds just like this.

I had a couple of points I wanted to ask ya'll -
1. Why has this continued to persist? I've been cruising the web for answers and saw this issue being brought up back in 2019. Perhaps someone in service or engineering could chime in here?
2. Is this specific rattle covered under warranty? I have a service appointment set up for September.
3. If not.. What is the easiest, best way to stop it? I saw Aaron Averett's video and frankly I'm a bit skeptical to pop some of the trims, given how i've only had the car for a week and i'm really good at damaging things.

Thanks!

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer
1. No one from tesla service or engineering is going to post here about a topic like this (with the exception of one person who doesnt post any longer, they dont post here at all. Tesla does look at websites, but its social media people.

2.Rattles are only covered under warranty near the beginning of ownership. Since your car is a 2021, you would want to get it in there sooner rather than later. I dont know "how soon" you need to get it in there, but If I were you I would put a service request in right now. Sooner is better.

Mobile service will not fix it, I tried. He said to take it to the service center. YMMV. Well placed high density foam quieted the one in my 2021 LR.

Thanks. I've read a couple of posts regarding using high density foam - but I need a visual representation to understand where exactly to put it.

1. No one from tesla service or engineering is going to post here about a topic like this (with the exception of one person who doesnt post any longer, they dont post here at all. Tesla does look at websites, but its social media people.

2.Rattles are only covered under warranty near the beginning of ownership. Since your car is a 2021, you would want to get it in there sooner rather than later. I dont know "how soon" you need to get it in there, but If I were you I would put a service request in right now. Sooner is better.

Thank you, my car is still very young but I'd like to know how much time / mileage they give you.. I believe I was told 100 miles or 24 hours, but that's not enough time to figure out something like this on a brand new car IMO. And certainly a rattle issue SHOULD be taken care of during a cars bumper-to-bumper anyway and if they don't honor that I'll be disappointed in Tesla as a brand.

I put in my request yesterday and the earliest appointment they have is early September.

Thanks. I've read a couple of posts regarding using high density foam - but I need a visual representation to understand where exactly to put it.

Thank you, my car is still very young but I'd like to know how much time / mileage they give you.. I believe I was told 100 miles or 24 hours, but that's not enough time to figure out something like this on a brand new car IMO. And certainly a rattle issue SHOULD be taken care of during a cars bumper-to-bumper anyway and if they don't honor that I'll be disappointed in Tesla as a brand.

I put in my request yesterday and the earliest appointment they have is early September.

They absolutely do NOT cover rattles under the 50k 4 year bumper to bumper. I dont know how long they cover them, as I remember reading various results here, but I imagine that 12 months 12k ish miles feels like what I remember reading.

Its good that you have video / proof though, because they also want that (or to be able to re produce it themselves). If it doesnt happen all the time but you know how to re produce it on demand, then thats a bonus. Otherwise, save your proof as you may need to produce it.

Reactions: 1LE McQueen
That is the exact issue I have on my 2020 M3P, Mobile service would not address
Same Area . also have rattling noise in the doors as speed goes up
If I take car in, I have to agree to a cost per hour, as its not covered under the warranty, then its put into a service que and I dont know when they will look at. This is with an appointment
So I am on my own with this, so any way to correct these issues with out paid help from Tesla would be great

That is the exact issue I have on my 2020 M3P, Mobile service would not address
Same Area . also have rattling noise in the doors as speed goes up
If I take car in, I have to agree to a cost per hour, as its not covered under the warranty, then its put into a service que and I dont know when they will look at. This is with an appointment
So I am on my own with this, so any way to correct these issues with out paid help from Tesla would be great

See people like you paid big bucks for that car, this is something they should cover period.

Sorry to dig up this thread after a few months, but anyone who fixed it (or got it fixed) can you explain exactly how it was fixed? I’ve had this issue on my 2018. It started out very sporadic but is now pretty consistently happening. I don’t even mind paying for the SC to fix it, but I’d really like to know exactly where the cause is too.

Sorry to dig up this thread after a few months, but anyone who fixed it (or got it fixed) can you explain exactly how it was fixed? I’ve had this issue on my 2018. It started out very sporadic but is now pretty consistently happening. I don’t even mind paying for the SC to fix it, but I’d really like to know exactly where the cause is too.

Bumping an old thread to say the video posted was a huge help. Picked up my model 3 at the end of May and finally got around to taking the dash apart to fix this. Ended up being very easy and didn't take long at all. Used some felt padding in the spot where the rattling was happening and so far so good. It's been a few days now and haven't heard the noise since. Hopefully it stays that way.

Mine had the rattle with days of taking it home for the first time and it's one of the worst dash rattles I have ever encountered on a vehicle. Pretty silly that they still haven't fixed the issues. I did fix it as per the video by stuffing as much sound deadening foam between the corner end of the dash and the VIN plate but this should have been resolved by Tesla a long time ago.

The video in post #15 was key. Start with the high bang/buck approach at the end:
where you just stuff some door seal foam into the corner of the windshield. Consider it a diagnostic or an easy fix.

With the problem well localized, the Service Center was able to fix it! The repair was covered by the warranty (unlike having them fix anything you broke trying to DIY).

I tried to combine the appointment with the December 2021 Trunk Lid wiring Harness Retrofit recall, but they still don't have the parts for the recall.

Last edited:
Reactions: GraGor
I had the same issue on my M3 LR 2023, from the video OP posted, it sounded the same as I was experiencing. I discovered that this noise came out of the adjustable safety belt holder on the side pillars - when driving on a bumpy road or some uneven surface, even a minor bumpy road, would summon the noise. Since the acoustic in the cabin is as is, it sounded like it was coming from the window or door, but after some investigation, I found out that it was the seat belt holder. I put some soft tape around the moving parts and it's fine now.