Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

That notorious Tesla service ….

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dmurphy

Supporting Member
So many complaints about service; thought I’d give you my most recent experience.

Like a knucklehead, I accidentally broke the tabs on my bumper tow hook cover.

Opened a service case in the Tesla app. Sent a photo and asked about picking up a new one at the SC.

Instead, Tesla Springfield NJ scheduled a mobile technician for 2 days later to install a new one for me. Total cost, $11.

Tech arrived on time with a perfect part in hand. All of 30 seconds, and it was fixed.

I told both the SC and the tech that I didn’t want to waste their time and would’ve been more than happy to pick it up. They insisted on coming out to install it.

Service so good, I feel guilty. No need to deliver, they could’ve dropped it in an envelope or I could’ve picked it up. Either would’ve been more than fine.

I’ve said it before and really believe it …. Service Center quality depends on who’s running the show. I’m absolutely blessed by having multiple top notch SCs nearby. It’s not exactly like there’s a dearth of Teslas in NJ, either!

So, kudos to Springfield and yes, quality service really does exist …

Back when I was wrenching my old timer boss had a saying “happy customers tell one person, angry customers tell ten”. The internet has exacerbated this massively.

I had a great experience with Tesla service down here in south Texas. Very similar to yours, I came to the same conclusion as you did above.

I was having difficulty removing non-OEM ambient bulbs (wanted to install blue bulbs with a different shade to match rear underseat kit). During unrelated mobile service appointment, (same service center as OP) the technician replaced them for me (thank you very much). The next week, I texted technician with a quick unrelated question and he was super helpful, responding with good advice.
Needless to say, I’m a happy camper

After reading many service horror stories on the internet, I was very nervous how my service experience would be with Tesla. To my surprise, every interaction has been nothing short of fantastic. The mobile service system for things that don't need a lift/service center is ingenious and I am betting you will see other car companies adopting it in the future.

The mobile service system for things that don't need a lift/service center is ingenious and I am betting you will see other car companies adopting it in the future.
Maybe not.
Remember, few, if any companies own their dealer network / service centers.
Tesla does (not sure what the current laws are around the country).
It's easier for Tesla to implement, harder for legacy manufacturers, (GM, etc.), which rely on "third party" service centers.

Not sure how willing a dealer would be to set it up, but even if they do, it's only for their local service area.
Tesla's service center area is, I guess, the whole country.

Of course the roads up here will chew up your car, so there's that :)

When you've moved, you should check out Delaware Valley Tesla Owners Club - Home (I know, you're not moving to Delaware, it's just an awful name). OP is a big shot in the club.
Thanks I will do that. Someone else mentioned that club to me as well. We currently belong to the Charleston Owners Club and really enjoy the social meetups (which generally involve food and/or booze).

Back when I was wrenching my old timer boss had a saying “happy customers tell one person, angry customers tell ten”. The internet has exacerbated this massively.

I had a great experience with Tesla service down here in south Texas. Very similar to yours, I came to the same conclusion as you did above.
I agree with your boss 100%. I would, however, not discount what those angry customers have to say. I read Yelp reviews about my SC in West LA but went there anyway due to proximity and found out for myself that they are horrible.

Nice thread! I'll add to the good vibes with my own story:

I noticed that a bit of the trim on the driver side inside door handle (just below the door open button) had started to separate. I opened a ticket to ask whether they recommended an adhesive I could apply myself and, in doing so, had to pick a mobile appointment date/time. Next thing I knew, they confirmed the appointment and posted an estimate with no-charge. The tech actually showed up on time and, get this, swapped out the entire inner door since they don't have any protocols for reattaching the trim. No cost, minimal time, all fixed!

Other than me carefully removing my vinyl button/plate wraps from the old door and unsuccessfully applying them to the new one, it was a super positive experience. RPMTesla was the only party who made money on it since I decided to replace the reapplied vinyl with plastic (much easier to install but they don't have plastic pieces to cover the window buttons?!?).

I've had two service experiences, both of them were great. The first one was within a month of purchasing the car a year ago. The front left camera stopped working. I arranged for a service tech to. make a house call. I lie 107 miles from the nearest service center and didn't want to drive that distance. I had to wait about 3 weeks for an appointment, but the service tech arrived right on time and di the work in20 minutes - no charge. And it's worked perfectly ever since.
The second time was two months ago. The interior lining on the B pillar came loose. I opted to take it to the service center this time. As I pulled into the very crowded lot, I was met by a tech before I was halfway out of the car. He asked my name and when I told him he knew what I was there for. he told me it would take 45 minutes to fix. He was wrong. It took less than 30 minutes. Once again, great service

Maybe not.
Remember, few, if any companies own their dealer network / service centers.
Tesla does (not sure what the current laws are around the country).
It's easier for Tesla to implement, harder for legacy manufacturers, (GM, etc.), which rely on "third party" service centers.

Not sure how willing a dealer would be to set it up, but even if they do, it's only for their local service area.
Tesla's service center area is, I guess, the whole country.
I'm fully aware. That said, manufacturers dictate how dealers service their vehicles under warranty. They provide specialized tools, training and diagnostic equipment. Mobile service would just be one more addition to that.

I had a fender bender and the repair shop said this requires replacing the trunk hatch and the back bumper. Three weeks on and with no additional info from the repair shop, I called them and they said Tesla has not sent them any parts.

A day later I get an email from Tesla stating, "Your parts have been ordered today by the body shop for your Model Y". I got suspicious and I called the body shop and they acknowledged they goofed up in placing the order. And three days later got another email from Tesla stating the parts have been shipped and should reach the shop in 24 hours.

If Tesla had not been proactively communicating, body shop would have gotten away blaming Tesla for the delays

Last edited:
I had a front passenger-side upper control arm replaced at the service center. Pretty quick and painless. Did a quick drive with a tech who immediately acknowledged the issue and apologized for it (which I didn't need or expect, but was nice). Received a loaner and was on my way within 15 minutes. Repair was completed within a couple days.

Had a ranger do a 12v battery replacement within 24 hours of reporting the issue in the app. Great service.

My last experience was another service center drop off for a leaking taillight that I had been putting off but wanted to get fixed before warranty ran out. No loaners at the time and parts took a few days, but the service coordinator offered to put me at the top of the list for a loaner if I thought I'd need it (can't really Uber with kids and car seats, but didn't need to luckily).

Overall good to excellent service for me at the North Houston service center. Meanwhile my wife's 3 year old Odyssey has an interior leak and only has a 36k mile warranty...

I agree with your boss 100%. I would, however, not discount what those angry customers have to say. I read Yelp reviews about my SC in West LA but went there anyway due to proximity and found out for myself that they are horrible.
I didn’t realize that he was implying you should discount angry customers opinions…

My experience has been that they have been nice, I have gotten a loaner car, but they usually don't fix the issue. Both times I have taken my car in for service it required a 2nd trip or mobile appointment for the same issue. This last time 3 of the 4 issues are still present, so another 6 week wait and we will see if they fix them this time. Here is the real kicker for me this time, they (or an employee who doesn't know their place) seem to feel it is their place to mandate me to wear my seatbelt. One issue is the car does not detect I am in the drivers seat so if I move my car in my driveway without my seatbelt on the car slams into park because it thinks I'm not in the seat. If I go to a super charger and plug in, I either have to keep my door open or put it in camp mode to use my screen. Here is the answer I got from Tesla telling me that I should be wearing my seatbelt and they will only look into the issue if its happening with my seatbelt on. REALLY?!?

tesla response to seat issue.png

Thanks I will do that. Someone else mentioned that club to me as well. We currently belong to the Charleston Owners Club and really enjoy the social meetups (which generally involve food and/or booze).
I see you are from Charleston, as am I. I plan on getting my Model 3 in a couple months, but do you know whether Tesla has home delivery here or has technicians come out here for service? Or do we have to drive a couple hours to either take delivery or get service?