Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

That very loud and painful "clunk"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread has my attention now...
This morning, while decelerating (no or little friction brake), just as I came to a stop I heard more than felt a 'thunk' in the back of the car. It sounded kind of like a bowling ball had rolled forward and hit the back of the back seat as I stopped...but I didn't have any bowling balls or bowling-ball like objects to roll forward and hit anything...so that struck me as odd, but the car continued to operate WNL and has for the last 5 miles or so. Probably mine is totally unrelated, but having a production number close to yours (VIN 1267) it certainly makes me feel a bit more concerned...

Will report back, obviously, if anything similar occurs.

My SC saw this post, called me at noon, got the time of occurrence info, uploaded my data for the time, and called me back before 5p to tell me everything checked out good...gotta love Tesla Service. Even if it is slightly spooky that they stalk my posts!

As I sit the car is sucking up juice and placing it into a pack, I am told it is a rev D battery. I was also informed that the HV cabling to the pack was implicated in my particular failure as well, and as a result I will get the car back tomorrow instead of today. Service experience, as always, is absolutely fantastic.

As I sit the car is sucking up juice and placing it into a pack, I am told it is a rev D battery. I was also informed that the HV cabling to the pack was implicated in my particular failure as well, and as a result I will get the car back tomorrow instead of today. Service experience, as always, is absolutely fantastic.

That's crazy fast, and congrats on the D pack!

Whoa! Congrats on the D pack. Pretty sweet.

Got my car back this morning. Great service from Tampa as always.

Problem was with a contactor and Tesla replaced my main battery pack. I got a remanufactured A battery, but it's nice to see more ideal/rated miles than I've ever had before. BTW, here's what the energy screen looks like after a battery change:

Untitled.jpg

I believe that's the result of the old battery being discharged to make it safe for the Techs to handle.

Got my car back this morning. Great service from Tampa as always.

Problem was with a contactor and Tesla replaced my main battery pack. I got a remanufactured A battery, but it's nice to see more ideal/rated miles than I've ever had before. BTW, here's what the energy screen looks like after a battery change:

I believe that's the result of the old battery being discharged to make it safe for the Techs to handle.

Good to hear you got your car back and that Tampa service was good to you. It's really great to know that previous 'gone wrong' battery packs can be refurbished/remanufactured and put back into service. That's a real cost savings advantage for Tesla long term. You can't do that with ICE's. Just another example of the benefits of BEVs.

:) Glad to hear everything got put back together again, and I agree it's good to see a few more miles back in the range.

- - - Updated - - -

Good to hear you got your car back and that Tampa service was good to you. It's really great to know that previous 'gone wrong' battery packs can be refurbished/remanufactured and put back into service. That's a real cost savings advantage for Tesla long term. You can't do that with ICE's. Just another example of the benefits of BEVs.

Well, technically, they do. ICE engines that are replaced under warranty are typically refurbished and used for other warranty replacements in many the same way.

Last edited by a moderator:
...and the car is on its way back to me. It's confirmed that my battery is a remanufactured rev D. pack. 90% charge reaches 240 miles again, good as new.

I was told that the battery pack and contactors were replaced to bring the car back to service again.

Love that St. Louis service team!

If you think about it. The best place for the contactor is inside the battery pack for safety reasons. This allows the system to isolate all power to within the pack itself. Hence the requirement for an external power source to inject smaller amounts of power into the battery to get the contactors to engage/disengage. I wouldn't want (for my own safety and others) power in the 400+ volts and that amperage to extend beyond the pack in any way unless all systems are properly functioning.

Probably reading too much into Flasher's note, which appears to suggest that the two items were replaced separately.

Edit: Answered above.

I'm afraid to park my S outside since the rabbits have a habit of chewing the wiring on anything left outside the garage. Of course, they would only bite once!

To close this chapter... my wife took the Model S on a trip this weekend and had the opportunity to try the SpC in Normal on the new pack. Here is the resulting curve:

Screen Shot 2014-03-13 at 7.14.56 PM.png

As you can see, the car easily charged at over 90 kW. The initial burst was over 100 kW for a minute or so, then it dropped to 89 kW for a minute, settling at 93 kW for a while before beginning the taper at 42% / 112 mi rated range. So the D pack replacement does indeed give me > 90 kW charging.

(The teslams package didn't capture the true maximum I saw, which was a moment of 298A @ 362V when it was first plugged in, which is 108 kW.)

Last edited: