TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

That was fast! Is this typical?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by fasteddie7, Sep 8, 2016.

1. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

Received an email at 3:54 am that my car entered production, then at 6:11 pm I got an email that my vehicle was complete. 14 hours from build to complete? Is my door going to fall off when I open it? Lol Screenshot_20160908-191834.png Screenshot_20160908-191841.png

Attached Files:

• Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1
  2. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

More like 14 hrs between when they got around to updating the status on the site. Although I guess it COULD have actually produced that fast, it is the last month of the quarter!

• Like x 2
  3. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

This depends on what they really mean by "entered production." In any modern car plant, it takes about a day in each of body, paint, and assembly shops. This cannot be accelerated because the processes simply take that long and the conveyor lines have fixed speeds. (This is based on my experience in a plant building ~ 1100 vehicles per day on 3 shifts). I suspect "entered production" in this case means "started into assembly" with a painted body, and yes, a body can go all the way through assembly in less than a day if the plant is running really well.

• Informative x 3
    • Helpful x 2
  4. Ormond

Ormond Member

It's only possible for someone who goes by "fast Eddie 7.";)

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. jdjeff88

jdjeff88 Member

Less than a day for me as well!

• Like x 1
  6. esk8mw

esk8mw Active Member

Someone on the X forum reported the same thing and a tesla employee told them the email notification system had been down or back logged or something. In short, your car was probably in production 3-4 days prior to you receiving the email telling you about being in production.

• Informative x 1
  7. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

They do build them fast... at 4:09 he says it takes about 3 to 5 days from raw materials to finish, or something like that.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  8. number12

number12 Member

That video is awesome.

Incredible to merge that video with the idea of constant "changes" tesla does. Robots must "learn" a new way to build the car.

• Like x 1