Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thatcham's Autopilot Test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not been in the same situation because, in the event of a stationary car on a multi-lane road, drivers simply don't just swerve into another lane. If they do swerve, they will be braking first. Another thing that I have not come across on the road is a lifesize cardboard model of a car (that is virtually invisible to radar).
It seems Thatcham had point they wanted to make and setup a scenario in which to prove it. It would be interesting to know if Thatcham performed other tests, that were not shown, because they didn't fit Thatcham's agenda.

I have not been in the same situation because, in the event of a stationary car on a multi-lane road, drivers simply don't just swerve into another lane. If they do swerve, they will be braking first. Another thing that I have not come across on the road is a lifesize cardboard model of a car (that is virtually invisible to radar).
It seems Thatcham had point they wanted to make and setup a scenario in which to prove it. It would be interesting to know if Thatcham performed other tests, that were not shown, because they didn't fit Thatcham's agenda.

I've definitely changed lanes without braking to avoid a stationary car. I do it all the time on the freeway when a line of traffic is stopped in my lane up ahead. I'll slow down only after I've changed lanes as I approach the line of stationary cars.

I've also done this at stop lights with one notable result that makes me weary of doing it more often. I was going 35 miles per hour approaching a traffic light that had turned green perhaps 5-10 seconds prior but the car sitting at the light hadn't yet moved.

As all roads in the intersection were fully visible and no other vehicles were approaching, I put on my signal and changed lanes. I guess the vehicle behind me wasn't paying attention and slammed into the stopped car.